Visas and border crossings forum

Thai visa - confusion :S

• stokates

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Hi all,

I've searched the requirements of Thai Visa's but I soon get confused.

Please can someone help me.

I am from the UK and will be travelling (flying) to Bangkok in October.

1) Do I get a 30 day visa?
    2) What is the price (as I've read about freebies etc)
    3) I won't have an outgoing flight prebooked (only a return flight booked for 60-70 days later)... but I plan on entering Laos - Huay Xi within 30 days of entering Thailand (will this be a problem)

I will then travel through Laos and Cambodia before flying from Phnom Penh back into Bangkok.

1) Does this allow me the 30 day visa again?
    2) Price?
    3) This time my booked flight return will be valid for use during the 30 day visa.

#1 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 18:44

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

stokates

When you arrive in Thailand, you will fill out the obligatory paperwork, and will automatically be given a 30 day visa. There is no money payable by you.

I have not heard of anyone being asked when they will be leaving Thailand, nor asked to show proof of exit.

The Thai authorities expect you to look after your side of the matter. If you overstay in Thailand, when you go to depart, they will just give you a great big bill to pay!!! Simple. eh?

If you leave Thailand before the 30 days, sobeit.

Should you choose to re-enter Thailand after travelling into Laos (or elsewhere) you can choose to re-enter Thailand by land (eg. by bus, or across a river by boat) or by air. If you do a land entry, you will be given another visa which allows you 15 days in Thailand.

However, you say you are choosing to fly back into Thailand. So, you will again be given a 30 day visa - you will not be asked for evidence of departure, and no money will be paid by you.

- - - -

When you enter Laos, the Laotian government will ask you for money for a visa.

When you enter Cambodia, the Cambodian government will ask you for money to enter Cambodia.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 19:12

• stokates

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2009

Nice one, thanks a lot on reassuring my confusion Bruce.

I thought that was correct but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Cheers to you too :D

#3 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 20:25

• Skimonkey

Joined Travelfish
    16th April, 2009

stokates

The freebie visa that you refer to is from the UK as BruceMoon says you get a free 30 days on arrival. However you can apply for a Thai visa before you leave the UK, with this you get 60 days which can be extended for another 30 days, you just go to an immigration office and hand over money.

I did this (applied for a visa before I left) as I was intending on staying in Thailand for 6 weeks. The fee if I remember correctly was 28 GBP, of this 18 was returned to me 10 being taken as an administration fee.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong here but the travelfish burp stated that the fee for the 60 day visa was being waved by the Thai authorities untill the end of the year.

I sent the application form to the Cardiff office with my passport I got it returned 3 days later.

Also, Quantas are one airline which insist you have proof of onward travel from Thailand within 30 days, despite me having a 60 day visa. They did with me. As far as I can gather this is the only airline that enforces this policy,

#4 Posted: 9/7/2009 - 21:31

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Skimonkey

My understanding of airline policy is that yes, QANTAS and its derivative Jetstar want 'proof on onwards journey' when entering a country.

But, they aren't alone. I'm advised that it is a US policy, and countries sucking up to the US - and Australia does big time - ensure their airlines follow the US example.

Cheers

#5 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 05:42

• fivesilver

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2008
    Total reviews: 7

Posted from within Vietnam.

Went into the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh City this morning to ask about a 60-day visa. The woman there told me they I could get 30 days free at Suvarnabhumi, or 60 days - also no fee - from the consulate. She said they need to see my ticket (for an e-ticket, a printout is sufficient). So I'm applying tomorrow (Tuesday) morning and I can pick up my visa the following afternoon.

#6 Posted: 17/8/2009 - 14:15

• dougmp

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2009

fivesilver that's great news. I'm landing in Saigon on 1/9/09. I was under the impression that I'd have to pay for another 60 day visa to Thailand. (currently in Chiang Mai for 60 days) Thought that the freebies ran out on 1/6/09. The only fly in the ointment is that I've already spent 60 days in Thailand and am only entitled to 90 days every 6 months. Is that still the case or is it different if you obtain a 60 day tourist visa. Can be very confusing with the new rules.

#7 Posted: 20/8/2009 - 20:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Confusion about Thai Visa ... By dslash01 on 9 Jun 2011 6 2302 13 Jun 2011
Confusion with Thai Visa's!! ... By KoalaBeans on 8 Sep 2013 5 4721 11 Sep 2013
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 13 Dec 2012 3 860 25 Dec 2012
Visa Confusion ... By zenz on 10 Dec 2012 10 2627 28 Dec 2012
Visa confusion ... By joejowers on 22 Jan 2009 3 1363 23 Jan 2009
confusion about the e-visa ... By buecax on 16 Jul 2009 3 2226 16 Jul 2009
Confusion over Visa ... By MLSinclair on 27 Mar 2010 11 1715 31 Mar 2010