Visas and border crossings forum

vietnam transit -- visa or no

  • sullivanmarc

    Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United States
    Posts: 3
    Total reviews: 41

    I fly into Saigon on Nov. 26, arriving 23:10. I am considering flying on, probably to Bangkok, w/in 24 hours. Is there a way to do this w/o incurring the cost/hassle of getting a Vietnamese visa? Can I simply hang out at the airport on the international side of immigration until a flight the next a.m.? Is there such a thing as a formal "transit visa." The VN embassy site is not so helpful on this.


    #1 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 07:48

  • Advertisement

  • BruceMoon

    Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Posts: 1941
    Total reviews: 6


    If you come from a country that has a bilateral agreement with Vietnam, you can enter for up to 15 days without a visa. For all other nations, a visa is needed.

    My understanding is that once leaving the plane, the sterile environment between the plane and the customs/immigration counter is not a place you can stay (for any length of time).

    Legally, I understand that you are in 'no mans land' between the time you left one country and enter another. And, when you are actually in another country, the building area between the plane door and customs/immigration is a courtesy for the convenience of plane passengers. The alternative is that a nations' officials would enter the plane and do all the paperwork before you got off. In SaiGon, in the heat, passengers would love this (NOT).

    Many years ago, I was at TanSonNhat airport in a plane and one person was not allowed to leave the plane as they did not have the necessary paperwork to enter VN. The airline company had to look after that person till the plane departed (I'd hate to think how hot it got inside the plane while it was reloaded, etc.). Today, such people are put in a lock-up awaiting deportation (been there, done that).

    There are occasions when one does not need a visa, and they are when you are stopping over on a connecting flight. For example, Vietnam Air from (say) Phillipines to Bangkok via SaiGon. In these cases, you'll be ushered into the passenger waiting area (the area after a pax has gone through customs/immigration to leave).

    If your intended onwards flight is not a connecting flight, or not with the same company, you'll have to check in. That means you'll have to enter the country of Vietnam, and then depart.

    At SaiGon airport, there is a 3 day Transit Visa available. On this, go here to look, its called a C1 Transit Visa.

    However, you MUST have your departing flight details to gain same, and the cost is about the same as a normal 30 day Tourist Visa.

    Hope this helps.


    #2 Posted: 30/7/2009 - 08:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Do I need a Transit visa for Vietnam? ... By Macedo on 1 Jan 2014 1 1752 1 Jan 2014
Transit visa for Vietnam ... By 69ball on 4 Nov 2009 6 3443 10 Jan 2014
Vietnam transit visa ... By shann on 10 Jan 2008 13 17171 30 Jun 2012