Visas and border crossings forum

staying in a monastery in SE Asia :)

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

Hi everyone. This site is quite amazing( almost regretted having bought the LP guide.eheheh)
    anyhow I'd really like to know whether is feasible to stay a couple of nights in a monastery and share monks life or anything close to that.I'll b travelling from mid October,November,to middle of December through North Thailand,North Laos,central Vietnam and Cambodia. any suggestion???
    ah! talking about myself and my man.mid 20's couple.
    TA in advance

#1 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 08:46

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

soQQuadro

I haven't a clue. My first thought when i read your Q was 'a male & female...weeeell!'.

No-one has answered, even our illustrious navigator. That's not right. Some who often comment on Travelfish have so stayed, so I was assuming they would reply.

I googled and found a few references.

One that appears most helpful is here That article makes reference to other websites where comparable monasteries are located, including Vietnam (Laos & Cambodia are different branches of Buddhism).

One guy and his wife went and stayed at a monastery. He wrote a 7 part series...you'll find the links here post 1 and post 2... the rest are linked on the left of that page.

I think they might have stayed at this place here is more on this monatery (with pics). If you go there Ubon R is a great location.

I can't see anything readily for Laos or Cambodia. But, given that these two countries are at the bottom end of the wealth tree, I can understand why.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 08:11

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

might help if you explain what you mean by 'share monks life'?
    what do you hope to 'achieve' from this?
    what languages can you communicate in?
    Google for 'e-sangha'+forum, you'll find loads of relevant & practical info there, but you need to register in order to view posts. let me know if you need help finding the right branch.

#3 Posted: 9/8/2009 - 13:46

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

thanks,I'll have a look :)))

#4 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 03:05

• soQQuadro

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009

thank you heaps Bruce. I went through everything. was most helpful :)
    and anyway I consider you an illustrious navigator and veteran and your answer was satisfying and super appreciated :D

#5 Posted: 11/8/2009 - 05:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Staying at a monastery in Thailand ... By nerja on 31 Aug 2011 4 1173 4 Sep 2011