Visas and border crossings forum

¿i Necessary to stay over in Chiang Khong for VISA?!

• Setkun

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

I have read many people's blog.... And most of them had to stay over night at Chiang Khong for apply "Laos Visa" with Agency.

" Is it Necessary?! "

My plan is...
    -Take a Green bus service leaves 8.30AM from Chiang Mai-- Arrive Chiang Khong abt 3PM-- I guess there will be another taxi to get to the border (Which I don't know how long does it take)
    - Once we arrive at the Border-immigration/ I guess that I may have to apply VISA and do everything 'BY MYSELF' (Let's say, i have all paper, photo, money ready)
    By the time I arrive to the border, "Do you think that will be enough time for all process to across the border? And arrive Laos in that evening???"
    - Because, That would be GREAT, as May be the next day I don't need to worry about timing and I may can go directly to 'Gibbon experience' for the next day.... and JUST travel and arrange everything to be done, to be tired of journey for a day.

....................... I guess that Many people would have the same question, We would like to avoid the "SCAM" thing- 'you have to stay over at Chiang Khong to do the visa .. bla bla bla..' which make our travel shorter unnecessary.

#1 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 16:45

• Advertisement

• Setkun

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

More Info:

My passport is " Spanish "
    and My bf, he is "Thai"

#2 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 16:49

• Setkun

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

For thai Visa .... I don't think he would have to apply for VISA, wouldn't he??

#3 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 16:50

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

No need to stay overnight in Chiang Khong.

I guess there will be another taxi to get to the border (Which I don't know how long does it take)

Samlor, less than 10min. Then Thai immigration. Then boat across the river, less than 5min. Then Lao immigration, obtain your visa on arrival on the spot. Think it shouldn't be crowded at that time of the day (late afternoon). Best to have USD for your visa fee. Lao immigration closes at 6PM.

#4 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 17:47

• Setkun

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

That is a Great news. Thanks so much, Wanderingcat.....

#5 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 18:01

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Setkun

From Chian Mai, there are 2 'direct' transport options, the green bus and the VIP mini-bus (it departs about 10am).

Both appear to get to Chiang Khong about 3pm. The VIP mini-bus stops about 5km from the Thai immigration. As 'cat writes, Samlor, less than 10min.

- Once we arrive at the Border-immigration/ I guess that I may have to apply VISA and do everything 'BY MYSELF' (Let's say, i have all paper, photo, money ready)

First you have to depart Thailand (no big deal, hand your pp over with the paperwork, they stamp), and you are then ready to get boat across Mekong.

Once on the Laos side, yes, if you haven't already obtained a visa from a Laos embassy, fill out the paperwork and pay money WITH pp sized photo of you (looking nice, please!!!).

As 'cat says, from Chiang Khong bus stop to departure (Thailand), boat crossing, Laos visa issuance should take about 1 hour (so, now its about 4pm).

When you get past the Laos immigration, walk up the road (150m), turn left, and about 500m along is the Gibbon Experience office. Do go there first and make yourself known.

Definitely, you do NOT have to stay overnight at Chiang Khong. And, because the Gibbon Experience people want you at their office at 8am, its actually best to stay overnight at Huay Xai (the Laos side).

The only scam is that the Laos immigration people put a little sign in the window of their office saying something like 'after hours extra fee US$1'. Which, sadly, you must pay. It goes straight into their pocket. But, look on it as a donation to the wellbeing of poor Lao people.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 19:02

• Setkun

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

Hey BruceMoon

Thanks so much for all details, It is very useful..... That would help me heaps.

Cheers, mate!!

#7 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 00:38

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

A couple years ago I saw three minivans empty people from Chang Mai into the guest house closest to Thai immigration, about 100 meters, from the mini vans there and lined up with big signs by immigration I'd think many go all day long as needed, and they go all the way from Tah Pae Gate (however it's spelled) to the border crossing. I was there for 3 hours only but that's what I saw.

I'd go slow to accuse Lao immigration of bribery, they do have many extra charges according to time of day but I've never heard of anyone taking the money. They also charge if you don't have a photo, also a small charge last thing as you are leaving immigration, all those charges have turned out to be legit. Not all officials are corrupt. Blanket acusations such as this promote distrust between tourists and officials.

There's a poster "Captain Bob" on the TT and sometimes here who passes through that crossing often, might be worth a search on the subject and read his posts carefully.

#8 Posted: 24/8/2009 - 01:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Stay in Huay Xai or Chiang Khong ... By paul123456789 on 16 Sep 2007 1 5231 16 Sep 2007
Visa At Chiang Khong or Huay Xai ... By fragility22 on 3 Apr 2007 1 4613 3 Apr 2007
Advice Needed: Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Maesai (Tachileik)-Chiang Rai-Chiang Khong-Huey Xai ... By Dyno on 12 May 2012 4 2810 15 May 2012
Traveling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and Houei Xai (Laos) ... By Russian on 1 Jun 2010 0 4311 1 Jun 2010
Chiang Rai to Huay Xai/Chiang Khong and on to Pakbeng. ... By DShearer86 on 23 Apr 2009 4 9512 18 Jun 2009
From Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and later to Houei Xai (Laos) ... By Russian on 1 Jun 2010 4 6622 10 Aug 2011
Travel Chiang Rai/Chiang Khong/Laos ... By GussieG on 9 Sep 2006 7 4081 18 Sep 2006