Visas and border crossings forum

Cambodia to Thailand border crossing

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hello

I have been reading about the problems going from Thailand to Cambodia using the Poipet crossing, however we are doing it in reverse - are there any issues going from Cambodia to Thailand?

We will be going from BK to Laos to Cambodia back into Thailand within 19 days so assuming there won't be a problem with visas?

Thanks for your help - there is so much information on this site that sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees!!

#1 Posted: 8/9/2009 - 18:39

• Advertisement

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

It's pretty straightforward in that direction. You can take a bus to Poipet and the roads are pretty good now. Most buses stop a bit away from the border, but it's just a short $1 moto ride away. On the Thai side, it's all real simple, just take a tuk-tuk to the bus station and a bus to Bangkok or wherever. Or you can take the train, of course.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 06:19

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Great, thanks.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 06:32

• cassrose

Joined Travelfish
    13th September, 2009

Hi
    Know this was posted a while ago but im wanting to do the same route. My question is what time do you have to be in thailand to catch the bus back to Bangkok? Can it be done in one day?

Thanks

#4 Posted: 2/11/2009 - 09:54

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Hello

As some may have figured out by now, our party to SE Asia consisted of 3 OAPs so we went with purchasing a through bus ticket from Siem Reap to Bangkok as it would drop one side and pick up the other, or so we thought as the previous two bus journeys cross border had been easy and simple. I was also very disappointed with our guest house, Motherhome Guesthouse (the ONLY complaint about this place, otherwise excellent, I will be leaving feedback soon) as I asked how long the journey would be and was advised 8-9 hours and we would be picked up at 7am.

We had to walk a couple of hundred yards to the bus, which was not a problem then proceeded to drive round SR for over an hour. The trip to the border was only a couple of hours and when we were borded by what people who put white stickers on us and took our tickets. Through the border (heck of a walk through to the other side, it doesn't look if it is that far as there are hotels in between the two borders). We were told to wait once exiting the immigration building. We were then taken, 5-7 at a time to be ferried to a restaurant outside of town. We didn't realise it was a ferrying service until we got to the restaurant though.

Once there, at about 12.30pm we were told that the bus would not leave until 3pm and that the bus would stop 2-3 times, once an hour for dinner. Thus arriving in BK at midnight. Obviously this was a scam as those without reservations would only be able to find rooms at the bus company's chosen premises and those with bookings would lose them.

Some fuss was made and after the bus driver 'had his shower' we were underway by 2.30pm and disembarking at 6pm

So - insist that the bus leaves earlier as soon as the mini bus makes it's last drop (you'll know because it doesn't immediately leave again) and refuse to buy anything at the restaurant unless you wanted to eat/drink anyway. The trip did actually take about 8 hours drivetime, but would have taken 17 hours if the bus company had their way.

I fed back to the Guesthouse and they say that all the bus companies that do this run are the same. I know that the Guesthouse didn't actually deceive us, however they knew the restrictions on our party and it would have been better to at least know what to expect so we could have been prepared a little better.

It was good value, maybe this is why the scam is needed.

#5 Posted: 2/1/2010 - 06:30

• Missis

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2009

Sorry, hit the wrong key, meant to add that the ticket was $9.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

#6 Posted: 2/1/2010 - 06:32

• mic59

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 5

I'll need to do a visa run on my holiday later this year. Do most travel companies in Thailand help you with this and is it expensive?

#7 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 17:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia/thailand border crossing ... By lauraandmark on 15 Sep 2008 4 2757 16 Sep 2008
Border Crossing - Lao Cambodia ... By hotchily on 18 Feb 2010 0 2431 18 Feb 2010
Cambodia e-visa border crossing ... By kelpeta on 1 Jan 2008 2 5738 8 Jan 2008
New Border Crossing Between Cambodia & Vietnam ... By steveatkins on 30 Dec 2007 0 3155 30 Dec 2007
Border crossing from Cambodia to Laos ... By jeeeebus on 19 Jan 2013 0 2288 19 Jan 2013
Border crossing From laos into Cambodia ... By newboy on 1 Feb 2006 1 2947 2 Feb 2006
crossing a border from Saigon to Cambodia by the mekong? ... By noworries on 4 Jan 2012 4 2426 16 Jan 2012
Border Crossing: Laos - Cambodia / VISA ... By MILKDOG on 24 Jun 2006 2 3816 25 Jun 2006
Laos/Cambodia border crossing - overland ... By razzy on 20 Dec 2006 3 2748 21 Dec 2006
Query on Laos to Cambodia border crossing ... By phili on 11 Jun 2009 3 2554 12 Jun 2009