Visas and border crossings forum

Thai multi-entry tourist visa - a few questions.

• colourcode

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Hi
    We are british couple trying to organise a trip arriving in Thailand this December by air. I myself am a bit confused by the visas and although we can plan flights etc here in the UK - we would like to be able to have some freedom to travel around.
    Answering these visa questions will really help our planning (or not needing to plan :)
    1) If we get a multiple entry visa - can we spend 3 months in Thailand then travel to Vietnam - Laos etc and return and spend another 3 months in Thailand? Are we able to do this? (I read on a forum you can extend a 60 day visa at a local immigration office for a further 30 days but is this problematic? Is it easier to leave Thailand twice?

3) Do we need to provide proof of our flights (or other travel plans)in and out of Thailand to obtain multi entry visas?

2) Also if we decided to extend our stay in SE asia would we be able to obtain another tourist visa (either visa or 30 day/15 day permit) if we wished to return to Thailand or would we have restrictions because we already have had a multi visa issued?

Answers to these questions will really help us work out the best itinerary for our trip.

#1 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 18:42

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

colourcode

No-one has answered this, so I'll offer some help (as best I can).

Being British, I understand that you are entitled to get a multiple entry visa, with a combined stay in Thailand of some 90 days.

But, the best place to get answers to your questions is the Thai embassy. Not only because they can issue your entry visa's according to your wants, but also at the moment they are offering longer stay visa's into Thailand free of charge (but with a processing fee, I understand). This longer stay visa must be obtained in your home country.

So, go the Thai Embassy London website at:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/visa/visa_main.html

And email them with your request/s before getting your visa.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 20:04

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) Yes. Your multiple entry tourist visa should be valid for two 60 day stays -- each of those can be extended for a further 30-days. That gives you six months all up.

2) Ahhh, yes. I'm assuming you mean you will have already used both the entries on the multiple entry visa. If not, I'm not sure why you'd want to get another (third) visa if you already have a valid one in your passport... maybe I'm just confused and should go to bed - I'll reread this in the morning.

The easiest way to do all this is get a single entry tourist visa in the UK (that should be free, though some consulates are hitting peeps for handling fees...). Come over and travel around and then get your second visa when you need it -- you can get them in all capital cities, plus some regional centres.

More questions? ask away!

#3 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 21:17

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"you can get them in all capital cities, plus some regional centres.

More questions? ask away!"

I wish. I've tried twice already and no answer yet!

Attempt #3... I'll try purple, see if that works. ;-)

Is the Thai consulate in the regional centre of Bali (ie where you live) issuing the multi-entry tourist visas Somatam?

You mentioned yesterday that some consuls are doing it and some aren't.

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/7417_thai-tourist-visa-fees-waived-until-march-2010

That answer didn't really help that much...

#4 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:15

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Hey SBE

What was that you said to me about the use of colour?

Cheers ;)

#5 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:39

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

LOL I knew you'd be amused Bruce... I'm only doing it as a last resort!;-)

#6 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:41

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Do you think green yellow and red would be better?

#7 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:42

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I haven't a clue what turns him on: anyway I'm male!!!

After that Bali pissup, you'll have to tell us all.

Cheers

#8 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:56

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

I should add that I've worked out what turns him off....

hehehehe

Cheers

#9 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:58

• colourcode

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Thanks for your reply guys,

multiple entry Visa :) It does however say that you can get an extension for 1,900 baht to take your 60 days to 90 days - at the immigration office discretion.

Somtam2000 - thanks for your reply. We'd like to spend 6 months in Thailand with a trip to Vietnam in between so the multiple entry visa sounds great (no unnecessary waiting for visas to be processed on our travels).
    So we've done our 2x90 days and we are now travelling Cambodia/Laos etc can we get another tourist visa in phnom phen/vietiene?
    Can we get a Tourist Visa exemption (30days air/15days overland)? or should we plan not to enter Thailand again for this trip because we have already had a visa?

Hope that makes it a bit clearer :)

#10 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

colourcode

At the risk of being annoying, may I repeat myself...

...the best place to get answers to your questions is the Thai embassy. Not only because they can issue your entry visa's according to your wants, but also at the moment they are offering longer stay visa's into Thailand free of charge (but with a processing fee, I understand). This longer stay visa must be obtained in your home country.

From those that have made contact there, it appears all their questions have been satisfactorily answered.

Cheers

#11 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 23:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just love your handle colourcode... I might change mine to BB. ;-)

As for getting your visa in the UK ...Liverpool seems to be issuing multi-entry ones and try Hull too to see if their "handling fees" are any cheaper.

Although I'm a UK citizen, I live in France which is very unfortunate because the Paris branch of the Thai embassy has never struck me as particularly helpful. They don't like issuing multi-entry visas even when you pay for them. Hence my deep interest in what the Bali consul is like

"This longer stay visa must be obtained in your home country."

Ah.

Are you absolutely certain about that Bruce because if so it answers my question.

Presume you can still get free ordinary 2 month visas in Bali Somtam?

#12 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 23:55

• colourcode

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Hi Bruce,
    I did see your original post - thanks.
    Consulate closed + website unable to answer questions = forum posting.... someone out there might know :)

#13 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 23:55

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS Edit

That should be consulate not consul though if it's a him and he's into sarong dancing that's interesting to know too.

#14 Posted: 9/9/2009 - 23:59

• colourcode

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

SBE - I'll let you know what the London consulate is like on issuing multi entry visas.

As for the bali consul - found something here that might help:
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Visa-Run-Bali-t241615.html

#15 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 00:05

• lozza1978

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

Hello and welcome to Trvaelfish;

I had a similar issue to yours just a couple of weeks ago,

Multiple entry visa's can be issued from the Thai Embassy in Hull by post, I recommend this option, the first visa, 60 day is free a second 60 day(re-entry)visa costs £55 + P&P, however Im not sure how long the second re-entry visa is valid for once you depart Thailand – im sure someone else will tell you.

However please bear in mind the airline issue (& I recommend you contact the airline directly on this!!)

My airline (emirates) wants to see a visa for the entirety of the trip or an onward travel ticket before the visa expires. This is before you board the plane in the UK.

you dont mention how long you wish to stay in Thailand before you travel to Vietnam, you could get a free 60 day visa and extend this for a further 30 days at the Thai embassy in Bangkok giving you 90 days in Thailand before you leave for your travels round Vietnam, then you can re-enter Thailand via land and get an additional 15 days, or by plane and get a 30 day free visa.
    As far as im aware (and I could of interpreted this wrong) you cannot get another 60 days visa for 90 days of expiration of the last visa issued.

#16 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 03:06

• lozza1978

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

If you were to spend 90 days traveling Vietnam and Laos, then you would have no problem in obtainting another free 60 day visa to re-enter Thailand and that would save you on the £55 re-entry visa.

#17 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 03:12

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just read on another forum that someone got a free two entry tourist visa in Vientiane recently.

I also found the official Hull Consulate website which is one of the few that has actually bothered to put any clear info about the fees and restrictions regarding the issuing of "free" tourist visas.

Hull is not issuing any multi entry visas for free and they are charging 15 pounds handling fee for the "free" single entry one.

They do not say anything about waiting 90 days after the expiry of a 60 day visa.

This is C&P ed from the Hull Thai Consulate website.

The Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs has today decided to re-introduce the waiving of the £28 fee for the Tourist Visa with Single Entry for the period 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010. This concession does not apply to any other visas. During this period of 25 June 2009 to 04 March 2010 there will be an administration charge of £15 for the issue of the Tourist Visa with Single Entry.

The Tourist Visa with Single Entry allows a single stay in Thailand for a maximum of 60 days or 30 days (see below) from date of entry. Please note that the day you enter is counted as day one. If you exit Thailand at any time during the 60 or 30 days you will loose all the remaining days and you may not be able to re-enter Thailand without another visa. If you think this may apply to you, you should consider applying for a Tourist Visa with Two Entries (fee £56) or a Tourist Visa with Three Entries (fee £84). If you wish to spend more time in Thailand or wish to have a visa without restriction on the number of entries you may be able to apply for the Non-Immigrant Visa with Multiple Entries (fee £100) which is valid for one year.

Passport holders of the following countries will be granted a stay of 60 days for each Tourist Visa entry:

Argentina Australia Austria Belgium Canada Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong Iceland Ireland Israel Italy Japan Luxembourg Netherlands New Zealand Norway Philippines Portugal Singapore South Africa Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey United Kingdom United States

Passport holders of the following countries will be granted a stay of 30 days for each Tourist Visa entry:-

Azerbaijan Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Bhutan Botswana Brazil Bulgaria Cambodia China Colombia Congo Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Estonia Gambia Georgia Ghana Hungary India Jamaica Kazakhstan Kenya Kyrgyzstan Latvia Lithuania Macedonia Malta Mauritius Mexico Moldova Monaco Morocco Myanmar Nepal Pakistan Poland Romania Russia Serbia Sierra Leone Slovakia Slovenia Sri Lanka Tajikistan Tanzania Tunisia Turkmenistan Uganda Ukraine Uzbekistan Zambia Zimbabwe

NATIONALS OF COUNTRIES NOT LISTED ABOVE SHOULD CHECK WITH THIS OFFICE PRIOR TO
    SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION FOR A SINGLE STAY TOURIST VISA

#18 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 03:49

• lozza1978

Joined Travelfish
    24th June, 2009

SBE; is correct on the £56, It was me and I should of checked, for some reason I thought it was £55.

Still recommend using the Thai Embassy in Hull, they have replied to my emails every time.

#19 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 03:59

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Yep, green aint a good colour.

In reply to your Q re: home country, I got the info from here . To address your visa 'issue', you may have to do a run to Perth.

colourcode

The reference I made to SBE also applies to you. For those reading this link, it there says:

Multiple entry visa - your best choice!

Your best choice is to obtain a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa which valid for 12 months. With this visa type you will need to exit and enter Thailand at least every 90 days to get a new entry stamp allowing you to stay a further 90 days.

If you utilize your visa the last time just before it expires, you will get an extra 3 months "bonus", so the total validity will be nearly 15 months.

You will probably NOT get a Multiple entry visa in neighboring countries, your best chance of getting it is in your home country before you arrive in Thailand.

Thai consulates in US, UK, Europe and Australia seem to be the most generous.

Elsewhere I learnt that for the 'big' stuff, it is the principle nations' Thai embassy office that is best - not a branch agency. So, in the UK, go to London (etc).

Cheers

#20 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 13:41

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Bruce I am a UK citizen and I live in France so I don't think doing a run to Perth will help much.

The principal Thai Embassy in France is in Paris and that is where I have previously gone to obtain any Thai visas here. I find them a lot less accommodating than consulates in SE Asia and from what I have read they are not nearly as helpful as consulates like Hull.

The Thai Embassy website in Paris was in Thai only last time I looked but please try it yourself and see if you can get the French version.

http://paris.thaiembassy.org/Thai_Ambassade/index1.htm

Although I have been trying to call them all week they have yet to pick up the phone. I very much doubt if they are giving out free multi-entry tourist visas anyway because they were never too keen to do it even when you paid.

I much prefer to get my visas when I'm actually in SE Asia because I can get to the consulate far more quickly and cheaply. It doesn't cost me 50 euros just to go and see them like it does in my home country and visas also cost less than they do back home.

As for not being able to get a multiple entry visa in neighboring countries (in underlined bold italics) ... read this. They even posted a picture of the visa. There is no mention of any "handling fee".

http://teakdoor.com/thai-visas-and-visa-runs/47152-vientiane-free-tourist-double-entry-visa-2.html

#21 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 14:21

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

Only a thought, could it be possible that the Thai consular people in Bali assumed that as its Ramadan, then Indonesian people wouldn't come, so they themselves have gone walkabout?

ps. nothing appears logical in regard to visa provision.

Cheers

#22 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 14:49

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I haven't tried to call the consulate in Bali, just Paris because I'm not a millionaire and the phone bill would probably mean I can't eat for a week.

Maybe Somtam has gone walkabout too... he's being distinctly mute about what the Bali consulate is like. I'd hoped that as he lives in Bali he'd have heard something. Seems taxi drivers don't know where it is either though.

#23 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 15:19

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

SBE

apologies, I thought you were in that region.

anyway...

#24 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 15:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

colourcode:

Yes, 1,900B for an extension -- it's standard and no big deal to get.

Yes, if you want to get another tourist visa in Phnom Penh or Vientiane yes you can, but if I read the above right you won't be shopping for a multiple one anyway, so I'm a bit confused why you're asking that!

Visa free entry -- yes -- 30 days by air, 15 days by land as you say.

"This longer stay visa must be obtained in your home country."

Above is not correct. Multiple entry tourist visas can be issued in Vientiane (as noted by SBE above) and KotaBahru also does (or did last year anyway) - PP and KL don't issue them though.

SBE already mailed you about Bali -- check your email before waffling!

Cheers

#25 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 18:37

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thank you for the email ... I did check my emails a few hours ago when I woke up today but it wasn't there then. I've replied to thank you in a suitably gushing manner but apparently you didn't check your email before waffling on either.

Waffle indeed!!!

;-)

#26 Posted: 10/9/2009 - 18:58

• colourcode

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2009

Everyone has been a great help to me on here! Thank you so much!!!!

The Hull consulate was the most helpful - so advise anyone in the UK to give them a ring/email website is here: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

SBE Hull do a visa postal service - they may send to Paris? You can contact them by email on enquiries@thaiconsul-uk.com they seem very helpful.

Bruce you are right a Non Immigrant multi entry visa is my best option and I'll be applying for that in the UK.

*** Thank you all so much for your help - you are all stars :) ***

#27 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 00:11

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SBE:

Just talked to the Thai consulate in Bali, they DO NOT issue multiple entry tourist visas. They do however issue single entry tourist visas and they're free -- there is no service charge.

#28 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 13:56

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

That's excellent, thank you so much Somtam! :-)

#29 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 14:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai Tourist Visa - Double Entry ... By andrewmr on 6 Feb 2010 2 5149 25 Feb 2010
Multi entry visa ... By packedbags on 6 Sep 2006 2 2380 6 Sep 2006
Multi-entry Visa into Laos? ... By Jimbobber on 6 May 2011 2 2323 7 May 2011
multi entry visa cambodia ... By IndygoIndy on 1 Oct 2009 1 2211 1 Oct 2009
Multi entry visa for Cambodia ... By sgardam on 14 Feb 2008 4 9994 9 Mar 2008
Length of Vietnam Multi Entry Visa ... By mamooaustralia on 3 May 2010 2 3391 12 Jun 2010
Lost: Vietnam 6 month multi-entry visa ... By chris7772 on 20 Jun 2009 2 2189 30 Jun 2009
Double Entry Tourist Visa in Vietnam ... By perceheadies on 2 Dec 2009 1 2879 3 Dec 2009
Buy tourist visa and not use it until after free entry has expired? ... By zigzagry on 18 Mar 2010 6 2494 3 Apr 2010
Double entry tourist visa in Thailand ... By madindaelephant on 13 Apr 2008 1 6863 14 Apr 2008