Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Visa exemption

  • gillerz960

    Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009
    Posts: 16

    I know lots of questions similar to this have been asked but I am struggling to find a definitive answer.

    I am flying in to Bangkok with BA on 2 December and my onward flight to Hong Kong is on the 17 March.

    I intend to leave Thailand at Chiang Khong after around 20 days so within the visa exemption period. However i have heard stories of people being refused entry or not being allowed to board BA flights without a return or onward flight within those 30 days.

    Does this still happen and do I need to get a tourist visa or will they allow me in and believe me that I will leave within 30 days?

    #1 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 22:49

  • Advertisement

  • gillerz960

    Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009
    Posts: 16

    Apparently if I'm dressed smartly, I won't get asked to show my return ticket?

    #2 Posted: 17/11/2009 - 22:54

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    There have been some reports of this with BA, others have said no problem. You really need to check with the carrier. At worst get a tourist visa before hand, then you don't need to worry about this.

    #3 Posted: 18/11/2009 - 08:18

  • Nokka

    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 259

    I am flying with BA to B'kok on 25th November with a return ticket late March. I am flying out of Thailand to Laos 2 weeks later.

    I have also heard that BA are more stringent than most airlines about visas and tried to get confirmation by phone that all would be OK. However, I could get nowhere with them. In the end I have printed off various things from the Thai Embassy website showing what the policy is - ie that you must leave the country within 30 days. As I have a confirmed flight ticket I reckon that will be fine.

    Your own situation is slightly different as, I assume, you will travel overland out of the country, so no confirmation. The tourist visa may be the way to go, though if you're like me you'll spit at the extra cost and hassle. (Yes, I know they're free currently, but there are still admin and postage costs).

    If I remember, I'll post again when I get to Thailand, on how I got on at Heathrow.

    #4 Posted: 18/11/2009 - 16:38

  • gillerz960

    Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2009
    Posts: 16

    Thanks. I think will get a tourist visa just to make sure.

    #5 Posted: 18/11/2009 - 17:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thai Visa Exemption ... By creasetofu on 25 Jun 2011 3 2713 28 Jun 2011
Thai exit proof - land,sea or air?? Tourist visa exemption - 30 days! ... By lauraandmark on 16 Sep 2008 7 6166 17 Sep 2008
Walking from departures to arrival for a Thai land 15 exemption ... By Sethinthebox on 24 Jun 2011 1 2088 24 Jun 2011
Lao visa exemption for ASEAN ... By skinnylatte on 23 Nov 2006 1 3178 23 Nov 2006
Do I qualify for a 30 day visa exemption? ... By klb5050 on 18 Jun 2013 8 2108 19 Jun 2013
Visa exemption for Vietnam ... By Lother on 7 Apr 2009 2 2212 8 Apr 2009
Proof of Onward Travel - 30 Day Visa Exemption ... By Caolan on 27 Apr 2014 13 3250 28 Apr 2014
Thailand tourist visa fee exemption extended ... By bakpakk on 3 May 2010 0 3031 3 May 2010
Overseas Vietnamese (and family) visa exemption ... By xtrinh on 3 Sep 2007 0 3111 3 Sep 2007
Extending 15 day overland visa exemption in Thailand ... By surferRosa on 23 Nov 2009 7 10464 29 Oct 2013