Visas and border crossings forum

Visa on arrival letter...Ho Chi Min airport

• Carolynimini

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2009

Any one use a website to obtain a "VISA on arrival letter" Does this info from vntraveler.com look legit?

"Thanks to the open travel policy of Vietnam, visitors now can apply for a so-called visa on arrival (VOA). Travellers can apply for their entry visa online and pick up their visas at Vietnam international airports. After checking through travel forums to find out a good service provider for this type of visa, we found My Vietnam Visa a reliable agent to start with.
    It is being recommended by forumers at Tripadvisor, GapAdventures, LonelyPlanet, Flyertalk, Travelfish and also recommended by Lonely Planet veteran author Robert Reid.
    Their price is posted clearly on website, and we found it reasonable among others. One of our editors emailed them, and we almost received an immediate response. one positive thing is that they also offer online secure payment through credit/debit cards."

Any one have any experience obtaining the VISA this way?

#1 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 09:33

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well Travelfish has not recommended My Vietnam Visa so I'd take that as a big red flag.

#2 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 12:18

• thomas2129

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

yes, visa on arrival is legit, there are a few sites offering this service and i have not heard any problems. a few sites are being recommended such as guidevietnam.com, vietnamstay, hotel-in-vietnam, and the site you mentioned above.

after a few minutes of reviewing info on travelfish, i found the most recommended one is guidevietnam.com.

regarding the info provided by vntraveler, i also read some threads on tripadvisor and lonely planet, many members used my vietnam visa and recommended them. (you can search more information on tripadvisor or lonely planet)

in general, i will advise you to go with visa on arrival since i would prefer not to send my passport to an embassy or just to save a few bucks.

good luck.

#3 Posted: 20/11/2009 - 21:28

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I used www.guidevietnam.com last spring and had no problems whatsoever.

good luck

#4 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 01:29

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

This doesn't relate directly to visa issues, but may be relevant as an entry/exit problem. At the end of May 2009 I was booked on a flight from Brisbane to Hanoi with Malaysian Airlines. My return flight was out of Singapore a couple of months later. The staff at Brisbane airport told me I could not board the plane as I did not have a ticket out of Vietnam (even though I had obtained a visa from the consulate in Canberra). I told them I planned to travel to Cambodia overland and that is why I did not have a ticket out of Vietnam. They kept insisting I had to purchase one online at the airport. I kept refusing. Eventually they said I had to sign a statement to the effect that I had sufficient funds to travel from Hanoi to Singapore. I did so, as they would not let me board the plane if I did not. Had to run to catch the plane, and only just made it. I did not show the document to airport staff at Hanoi, nor did they request it.

#5 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 04:04

• pugwash

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2009

I used this service a couple of weeks ago when I arrived in Hanoi - everything went smoothly. Just be aware that there is another form to fill in before you go to the desk with the VOA and photograph.

After about 15 minutes everything was ready, they returned my passport with visa and I could then proceed to the Immigration desks (don't go there first like me!)

#6 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 22:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Visa on arrival at SR airport ... By Roving_Roo on 9 Jul 2007 6 2364 12 Jul 2007
Visa on Arrival at Bangkok airport ... By callarda on 12 Jun 2010 4 4889 12 Jun 2010
Visa on arrival at Savannahket airport ... By frasmc on 4 Oct 2011 1 1472 4 Oct 2011
Can I get a visa on arrival at Phnom Penh Airport? ... By ms1892 on 17 Feb 2010 9 8272 17 Sep 2010
Any change to 'visa on arrival' at Luang Prabang airport? ... By EdwardTrunk on 2 Jan 2014 2 1696 27 Jan 2014
vietnam visa approval letter ... By Clare1993 on 2 Sep 2012 6 1841 19 Dec 2012
Visa Approval Letter from Vietnamvisa.org ... By gatoguts on 12 Mar 2014 1 680 12 Mar 2014
Visa? (Approval Letter) - Phnom Penh ... By travelman1956 on 24 Jul 2008 1 3327 31 Jul 2008
buy airline ticket before obtaining visa letter? Or? ... By cynthiawinn on 4 Oct 2012 2 2058 27 Oct 2012