Visas and border crossings forum

Thai VISA... HELP!!

• rachel0621

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    We need help with our VISA! We arrived in Phuket on the 1st Nov and had a 30 day visa granted until the 30th Nov. We left on the 11th nov for vietnam and now planning on going back on the 1st Dec for a few days then travelleling overland to Laos for a few weeks, then back down to Thailand again on the 23rd of December until we fly out on the 17th Jan. This means we would be arriving back in Bangkok on the 1st November and I assume they then grant us a 2nd 30day visa? Which would mean we would be re-entering at the end of that visa and then need to extend it another 30 days... Does anyone have any advice or info on what we should do? Any help would be appreciated :)

#1 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 13:09

• Advertisement

• Danwowski

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2009

Hi Rachel,

Was it a visa or just a visa exemption? It will depend on where you are from, but many nationalities can receive visa exemption of 30 days if arriving by air (with a valid departing air ticket) or 15 days at land borders. If it wasn't a multi-entry visa then your first visa will be voided after leaving for Vietnam anyway.

www.thaivisa.com may be useful or see

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-#thailand

For your second entry you may be eligible for a 15 day visa exemption (as you are departing overland). Maybe looking into a 2 entry visa may be a better option for you?

#2 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 18:00

• rachel0621

Joined Travelfish
    18th August, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, ok i think I'v got it! Im from Aust we got the visa exeption so i guess that was voided when we left on the 11th. Does this just mean we will be granted another 30 day visa when we return on the 1st Dec and that too will be voided when we travel overland through the border to Laos on the 5th Dec? I'll then get a 15 day visa when i re-enter overland from Laos on the 23rd, would you suggest gettin a 2 entry visa this time round or extending the 15 day visa once im there?

Also, our departing flight is from Thailand on the 17th of Jan, so when we return next week (1st Dec) do you think we will have any problems wihout proof of a departing flight within the 30 days?

Thanks so much for your help! Has been a stressfull day trying to work it all out :) cheers!

#3 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 19:51

• Danwowski

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2009

If you are flying in then you should get the 30 day exemption, which will be voided as you depart overland. In theory you need to prove valid onward air travel (for some reason overland travel doesn't officially count) and adequate funds for your stay.

In my experience, airlines are often more bothered about visa regulations at your point of departure due to them possibly being liable to fly you out if you are refused entry. However, friends have been scrutinised in the past and had to show evidence before being granted entry into Thailand. Generally you do not want to be caught without a required visa/exemption - at best it may entail a fine, at worst experience of that countries legal system!

You could go down the exemption extension route, but getting a visa could be just as straightforward. Also, it has been reported that the 15 day exemption can only be extended by 7 days (see http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/8524_extending-15-day-overland-visa-exemption--in-thailand) which wont be enough for your current plans for your final entry. I believe there is still an option of visa on arrival, but that isn't something I've had experience of.

Personally I'd be tempted to go for a 2 entry visa, just to cover the bases and for peace of mind. Maybe a trip to the closest Thai embassy/consulate to you may be a good idea for advice?

#4 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 21:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.