Visas and border crossings forum

passport photos?

• jasonkim8486

Click here to learn more about jasonkim8486
    Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2009
    Location United States

is it true that passport photos are needed along with passports to cross borders? say thailand into laos?

#1 Posted: 27/11/2009 - 01:22

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

jason,

yes, it is generally true that you'll be asked to produce two passport photos at border crossings, such as going into laos or cambodia. i don't recall ever being asked for photos crossing back into thailand, but i was required to provide two photos with my tourist visa application i mailed to the thai consulate in los angeles.

anyway, just like everything else in SEA, it varies. at some border crossings, they will care less, but at other ones they'll insist. sometimes they can take the photos for you, usually for an additional $1 charge or so.

you can always stop by almost any photo shop in SEA and have a few passport-style photos taken for not too much money. besides, its a good idea to have a few extras on hand when you travel. cheers.

#2 Posted: 27/11/2009 - 22:33

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

To enter Laos you require a visa. Your visa can be processed at the border, but it does require a passsport photo (ditto for Cambodia, Vietnam visa is usually done in advance and requires one too!).

It is a very good idea to travel with some extra passport sized photos.

A lot of malls (in Thailand, Singapore, etc.) also have photo booths where you can get passport sized photos printed in a couple minutes.

#3 Posted: 27/11/2009 - 23:01

• justme44

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009

Hi!
    If you want to make a passport photo as quickly as possible, you can use the www.idphoto4you.com website.
    It knows numerous standards and print sizes.
    Its free.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2009 - 22:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
passport photos ... By barrylad66 on 9 May 2008 8 3309 12 May 2008
Passport photos in Chiang Khong ... By damo on 2 Jan 2010 0 2643 2 Jan 2010