Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand 6 months, visa help.

  • Gorey

    Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 58
    Total reviews: 3

    Hello there,
    Next July (1st) i am beginning a university project, which is part of a study abroad thing, unfortunately it doesn't take the place of the usual exchange situation and is completely unofficial. (a case of basically continuing our practice outside of the country for a period of 3-6 months).

    Anyway for various reasons im going to be doing this in Thailand and i need some visa help. The Thai embassay here has not been helpful online/phone and i cannot make it to there in person for several months.

    So 6 months, what sort of visa should i apply for i've looked at the non-immigrant visa but it has alot of options and varyiables which i dont entirly understand. As i will be having no official link with a university it makes things a bit problematic and my university is no help.

    I'm guessing i will have to do some leaving and re entering but any help around this would be greatly appreciated i've only ever done visa on arrival to thailand at airports or land crossings.


    #1 Posted: 4/12/2009 - 18:13

  • Advertisement

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    Arrive on a two month tourist visa, extend it for a month. then leave and get another one and return and repeat.

    The university in Thailand should help you on this as there are student visas they can sponsor your for.

    #2 Posted: 10/12/2009 - 10:30

  • Gorey

    Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 58
    Total reviews: 3

    Thanks for your help there Somtam, so after the 3 months i could pop over into laos for say a week while applying for a second 2 month visa and then reenter. There isn't a certain amount of time i have to be outside of Thailand? I tried to contact the Thai embassy here but they are unresponsive at the moment.

    Unfortunately i cant get a student visa, as im not going to be on an official exchange programme nor studying on any course.

    Thanks again.

    #3 Posted: 11/12/2009 - 07:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee