Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visas On-Arrival at Laos/Cambodia Border!?

Posted by cheeco on 9/12/2009 at 15:26

Hi Everyone,

We are in Siem Reap right now and a guy at out hotel is telling us (after a few phone calls) that as of just recently, people are no longer required to have a Laos Visa in advance when arriving at the Laos/Cambodia border from the Cambodia side. Every book/ website page I have read states the exact opposite, and the only place to get a Laos Visa in in Phnom Pehn.

I am just wondering if anyone else has run into this?! We are definitely going to go around to other travel agents to try and confirm this info, but would love to know what anyone else thinks!!

Hopefully this guy is right!
Robyn

#1 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 10:31 admin

That is definitely news to me. Am trying to contact someone who crosses there regularly to get the goss.

Will let you know.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cheeco on 11/12/2009 at 13:51

Thanks! I finally got through to the Laos embassy in Phnom Penh (couldn't find the right phone #) and they said that this is incorrect information- you must get a visa before and the only place to get one is in PP.

I am not sure where this hotel guy is getting his info from.

Definitely post any other info!

Robyn

#3 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by dano_b on 18/2/2010 at 09:44

Hi!

I recently (end of Jan) traveled from Cambodia to Laos overland at Stung Treng/Dom Kralor, and were surprised to find out that you can get visas on arrival at this border (we had ours already). We were traveling on a bus and two passengers (British) had no visa and was able to get it at the border without problems and paid much less than we paid getting them at an Embassy ahead of time. The porter on the bus made it seem like no big deal to get a visa on-arrival at this border.

Not sure if this is permanent or only with certain nationalities, but that was our experience!

#4 dano_b has been a member since 20/12/2009. Posts: 24

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.