Visas and border crossings forum

Extension of stay - Thailand

• spork

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2009

So I crossed into Thailand from Cambodia, so I have 15 days free (Canadian passport). No tourist visa, just the permission to stay stamps. Is it possible to get an extension? Getting out of Thailand is going to take longer than I'd planned, so I'm gonna end up overstaying by a couple days. And I'd rather not have the overstay stamp in my passport if I can help it. But the only information I can find is about extending a tourist visa. What if you had no visa to begin with? What is the process of extending this? I'm in Bangkok for a couple more days, so can I do it now? Or do I need to wait until closer to when it expires (Jan 2)? I could also get to Koh Samui if it's possible there.

Please let me know where I would go to extend this, and how much it would cost. Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 00:35

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, it can be extended by another 7-days, is expensive though -- 1,800 baht from memory. Any immigration office (including Ko Samui) should be able to help you out. I'd get it as late as possible as the extension starts when you get it.

#2 Posted: 21/12/2009 - 08:34

• spork

Joined Travelfish
    21st December, 2009

Do you need proof you're exiting? And do you think a train ticket to a border city would suffice, or would it need to be a plane ticket?

#3 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 11:08

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

For an extension? No not as far as I am aware of.

#4 Posted: 22/12/2009 - 15:01

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

my friends just last week picked up an extension to their 30-day exemption at the immigration office in chiang mai. the cost was 1,900 baht each, and it only took about two hours from the time they arrived until they walked out with their visa.

theirs was a genuine extension, meaning that the immigration officer added an additional seven days to their 30-day visa. they said that apart from the cost, it was a pretty painless experience. regards.

#5 Posted: 23/12/2009 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.