Visas and border crossings forum

Vietnam Visa

• LNR

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2010

Hey people,
    Long time reader first time poster. I'm in the final stages of setting up a 6 week SEA trip, departing on the 14th Jan.
    I realise i've left it to the last minute, but i need to arrange my Vietnam visa. I'm only in Bangkok for two days, then travelling overland to Chiang Mai, and onto Luang Prabang where we'll fly to Hanoi.

What is my best option, in your experience, to obtain my visa before i hit Vietnam?

Thanks guys!

#1 Posted: 4/1/2010 - 16:38

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd go with the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok -- from memory they have an express service (for a surcharge) but not sure if it is same day. Would suggest hotfooting it over there upon arrival or going to a travel agent as soon as you're in and have them sort it out.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 06:53

• badgerseatf-
    rogs

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 3

Posted from within Vietnam.

Depending on what country you are from, you need to arrive in Vietnam with a "Visa Approval Letter". This has to be in your hand printed when you board the plane or arrive at the border.

You can do it online @
    www.vietnam-visa.com

You can pay to have it express (about 1 day) or normal (3days). The letter is emailed to you.

Have your forms filled out and passport photo ready to go to speed up the process when you arrive in Vietnam. We just flew from Phuket to HCMC and weren't allowed to board the plane without it.

Definition of an approval letter:
    "Approval letter (for Vietnam visa) is the letter approved by Vietnam Immigration Department (Vietnam government) allows you enter and exit Vietnam for a given period. With the approval letter you can get Vietnam visa at Vietnam consulates/embassies or at Vietnam international airport."
    http://www.visatovietnam.org/faqs/what-is-approval-letter-for-vietnam-visa.html?Itemid=35

#3 Posted: 8/1/2010 - 13:02

• LNR

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2010

Thanks guys!

Much appreciated advice.

Not long now till the big adventure...

Badgers - does this apply for Australian citizens or is it just an American resource?

cheers...

#4 Posted: 9/1/2010 - 06:10

• heavanse

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm posting this right, but I have a question. I applied for a Visa Code at Vietnamstay.com. They keep referring to a pax. What is a pax?

#5 Posted: 2/3/2010 - 22:53

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

In some cases pax refers to people, might be for example: "number of people" = "number of pax"

#6 Posted: 3/3/2010 - 02:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.