Visas and border crossings forum

Easiest/cheapest way to obtain 30 day visa into Thailand

• Kylzz13

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2010

Hi everyone:)

I have had a massive read through the forums regarding Thai visas, but still cannot decide what my best option is!

We'll be spending time in Singapore/Vietnam/Cambodia before crossing overland via the Poipet boarder crossing into Thailand. We want to stay for around 3-4 weeks, 15 days just won't be enough. We can't justify buying a flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok... there must be a cheaper way!

So:
    How easy it is to obtain a 30 day visa in either Singapore, Hanoi, Saigon or Phnom Penh, how much are these approximately, do they take long to issue and do they start when we cross the border into Thailand or from the date of issue?

The Thai embassy in New Zealand is in a different city and it just seems like a massive inconvenience sending my passport away.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

#1 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 09:24

• Advertisement

• Kylzz13

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2010

I should also add that we are travelling from 16th April till early June.

The Thai Embassy in NZ don't seem to know anything about the 'no fees' deal that applies to tourist visas at the moment either...

:)

#2 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 09:58

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

massive inconvenience aside, i think your best option is to send your passport to the thai embassy in new zealand and request a 60-day tourist visa. there is a special promotion right now and those visas should be free until at least april. why not give the thai embassy a call or check out their website for details.

trying to pick up a visa while you are on the road will be a chore, and a much bigger inconvenience (and more expensive) than a trip to the local post office. better to sort it out ahead of time.

another option, if you can't bear mailing away your passport, is to fly from phnom pehn instead of siem reap into thailand, so you can pick up your 30-day visa exemption upon arrival at the airport. the flights from phnom penh via air asia are a lot cheaper than the flights from siem reap, and phnom penh is worth a visit as well. hope that helps. cheers.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 10:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My suggestion was going to be what exacto posted - fly from Phnom Penh rather than Siem Reap . This means taking a bus from Siem Reap back to Phnom Penh. It's about 6 hours, and costs $5-7.

We did just that yesterday., Caught the 8am bus from Siem Reap, and once we arrived in Phnom Penh, we got a $5 tuk-tuk straight to the airport for the 4.55pm Air Asia flight to Bangkok. (You might want to consider a 7 or 7.30am bus to build in a bit more safety time).

#4 Posted: 18/1/2010 - 19:40

• Kylzz13

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2010

Hi guys,

Thanks so much. I think we will do PP last and fly into Bangkok :)

Love this site!

#5 Posted: 19/1/2010 - 03:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to obtain a visa ... By nathuy on 17 Mar 2014 2 308 28 Mar 2014
What is the easiest way to extend Vietnam visa? ... By Grunberg on 3 Mar 2014 5 430 17 Mar 2014