Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visa and border crossing by train HELP PLEASE!!

Posted by wardadg on 30/1/2010 at 00:25

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'll try and make this as simple as possible. Basically I fly into Hanoi on the 8th April and depart from Bangkok on the 15th July.

The plan is to visit Vietnam for a month, Cambodia for 15 days and Thailand for 1.5 months. We will be travelling by train from Vietnam into Cambodia, and from Cambodia into Thailand by train. Does anyone have any tips for crossing points and arrival/departure desitantions.

However, my main confusion is Visas!! which do I need before I travel?? Is it better to obtain them before I depart or at the arrival of each country (As im not sure what my departure and arrival dates are for each country)

I hope this makes sense, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Archie

#1 wardadg has been a member since 30/1/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by sayadian on 30/1/2010 at 03:16

'We will be travelling by train from Vietnam into Cambodia, and from Cambodia into Thailand by train.'
Before you can sort out crossing points and visas you need to sort out the above as neither country has a train link with Cambodia.Who has told you you'll be travelling across these borders by train?

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by nomadic12 on 30/1/2010 at 07:07

It would also be helpful if you told us how long you plan to stay and what nationality passport you hold. For example, going from Cambodia to Thailand overland most (but not all) nationalities get a 14 day visa exemption so you would only need to get a visa if you're planning to stay in Thailand for more than 14 days.

#3 nomadic12 has been a member since 30/1/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by fondo on 30/1/2010 at 10:14

Yes. As per #1. I'd reassess whether your major confusion is Visas or modes of transport.

Essentially, you won't be crossing either of these borders by train, but this site can tell you how you can.

Have a browse and see what you come up with

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 171
 Where has fondo been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.