Visas and border crossings forum

Anybody obtained a Visa on arrival at Koh Kong??

• patrickien

Click here to learn more about patrickien
    Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009
    Location Netherlands

I'm hoping to travel through Koh Kong at the end of the month, 'cos of hassel with my credit card i can't apply for an E visa! has anybody been through the Koh Kong immagration recently and paid with dollars?? if so was it a lot of hassel ?? do's anybody know if it's easy to get a visa in Bangkok ??( my starting point) all advice would be welcome!

#1 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 04:33

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Don't know which part of Cam you're heading for but yes, you WILL be screwed by the SOBs at the Koh Kong crossing.
    Prepare for them to charge you 1200 baht for a $20 tourist visa and refuse to take dollars.This scam is a national disgrace for Cambodia and I have heard eventually, yeh eventually, something will be done about the corruption there.Unfortumnately at present there are powerful people in the province making big money from this scam so it could take a while to stop it.
    I've seen people smile and hold their ground with a $20 bill held out and I've seen people screaming and threatening byut nothing works.I suspect if you smile and plead poverty you might get away with 1000 baht.
    Really, they've got you over a barrel as you are in no man's land,if they won't let you into Cambodia you cannot return to Thailand without an exit stamp.
    One day somebody will make a stand and decide to camp in no mans land.I'd be interested in the result.
    If you are going to Battambang or PP try the Pailin crossing.You can get there from Chantaburi.Much more laid back and the journey from the border to Palin and on to Battambang takes you through some of the most beautiful scenery in Cambodia.
    Good luck.

#2 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 14:55

• patrickien

Click here to learn more about patrickien
    Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2009
    Location Netherlands

Hi Sayadian, Thanks very much for the very helpfull advice, (take no notice of the thumbs down i hit the wrong button !! and can't change it)
    I'd considerd the Palin option but the plan was on a round trip( 4 weeks) ending with SeamReap/Battambang and back to Bangkok, an extra advantage of taking the coast road is to be able to adjust to the climate!! were coming out from Holland and weve had snow, ice and -6-8 for the last 2 moths !! Otherwise going inland is going straight into the melting pot!! anyway thanks again i geuss we'll just have to grin and bear it and take it as it comes greetings patrickien

#3 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 19:51

• beemeers

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2007
    Location Canada

I was actually going to ask a similar question since we are planning to take this route and head to sihanoukville, what if you obtained a tourist visa for cambodia in bangkok, would you still get charged/have problems?

#4 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 01:55

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

beemers
    No, you won't have any problems if you get a visa beforehand.Either one in Bangkok or an e-visa.They have to accept this.Just make sure you have a photo and then the scammers will just have to do without, poor things.

#5 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 02:22

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I should add the other 2 scams popular at Koh Kong is for a motodop to tell you that you have to change dollars into Cambodian real.You'll then get cheated on the rate.You don't need real.Baht or dollars will do to get out of KK.Also be careful of them overcharging you for a bus ticket to S'ville or Phnom penh.Just across the road from the bus companies offices is Fat Sam's bar.Can be worth buying a beer there as he is great for advice.

#6 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 02:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.