Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Tourist Visa - Double Entry

• andrewmr

Joined Travelfish
    6th February, 2010

Hello Travelfish!

I will be traveling through SE Asia shortly - flying into Bangkok then going overland to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and back into Thailand by land. On my first trip to Thailand I plan to be there less than 30 days, so I could simply use the 30-day visa-exemption to get in, however, I don't have an outbound flight. I've heard that the main problem with the 'proof of onward travel' is that the airlines may deny boarding, not that Thai immigration will deny entry. On my second trip to Thailand, I plan to be there more than 15 days, which I believe is the maximum for an overland entry. With that said, I was wondering if I could get a single entry Tourist Visa to negate the proof of onward travel requirement for my first entry (basically, just to get the airline to let me board), not 'use' the visa upon arrival the first time, then 'use' it the second time I enter Thailand so as to increase my length of stay?

I've emailed the Thai consulate in my region and they said I should buy a double-entry visa, but it sounded like a very generic answer and seems like a waste of money.

I am Canadian, and the airline is Air China, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for the reply!

#1 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 06:23

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hmm, I've flown into Thailand several times without having proof of onward travel and I've never had a problem, from the airline or anyone else. It's extremely common for travelers to fly into Thailand and then cross into another country... I have yet to hear a story of a traveler to Thailand that was not allowed to board their flight because they didn't have a return flight. I have also yet to hear of a traveler being denied entrance to Thailand because they didn't have proof of onward travel. People ask about this all the time on this forum and I've never once heard of anyone even being asked about it. You may want to check with Air China and see what they say... Just tell them you're going into other countries overland. That said, get a double entry visa if you're still concerned. It's not that much more $ than a single entry and it sounds like you're going to need a visa at some point one way or another. Otherwise - if you want proof of onward travel and no double entry visa - you can purchase a ticket from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur for around US $25 from Air Asia and never actually use it. But in my opinion you're worrying a bit too much.

#2 Posted: 6/2/2010 - 13:02

• WonderingTs-
    ar

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm not sure whether it applies in canada, but in many countries Thai Visas (single and double entry) are free of charge up to March 4th.

#3 Posted: 25/2/2010 - 00:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Double Entry Tourist Visa in Vietnam ... By perceheadies on 2 Dec 2009 1 2879 3 Dec 2009
Double entry tourist visa in Thailand ... By madindaelephant on 13 Apr 2008 1 6862 14 Apr 2008
Double-Entry Visa (Vietnam) - Experience with port of entry/date ... By caseyprich on 30 Sep 2012 3 2100 30 Sep 2012
Thai multi-entry tourist visa - a few questions. ... By colourcode on 9 Sep 2009 28 7147 11 Sep 2009
Thailand Double Entry Visa ... By aandgwal on 6 Jun 2011 1 2091 6 Jun 2011
Buy tourist visa and not use it until after free entry has expired? ... By zigzagry on 18 Mar 2010 6 2493 3 Apr 2010
Turning a Thai tourist visa into a Thai work visa? ... By gannongm on 27 Mar 2013 2 939 29 Mar 2013
Thai tourist visa ... By CMD on 9 Feb 2012 6 1907 13 Feb 2012
Thai Tourist Visa - Do I Need One & How To Get It? ... By Captain_Bob on 23 Oct 2010 0 3621 23 Oct 2010
thai tourist visa ... By ambersaffron on 5 Aug 2011 1 1922 5 Aug 2011