Volunteering in Asia forum

2 Months Volunteering in Asia (preferably Laos)

• curiousworld

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2010

Hello travelfishies!

I have been thinking about doing some volunteering in asia for a few months in early 2011. Ultimately I would like to use my skills as a policy writer for the Australian Government (in health) in an NGO preferably in Laos or Vietnam (but am also considering Cambodia and Thailand). If I can't use these skills I would also be happy to volunteer my time teaching English or working in an orphanage or farm/conservation type project. Essentially I just want to challenge myself, do something different and see where it takes me. If I loved the experience I would consider doing a more long term position sponsored through AusAID/AYAD in the future.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any organisations that would take me on as a volunteer in Laos or Vietnam. I have done some research and have found very little in the way of longer term volunteering opportunities (i.e. more than 2 week work camps or short term opportunities like Big Brother Mouse and the Vang Vieng Mulberry Farm etc) in Laos that doesn't involve paying a middle company to arrange the experience for me. I am not opposed to paying the fees but want to ensure the money I contribute goes to the people who need it most. I would be looking to volunteer for around 2 months or more, have experience in writing, research and a Psychology degree.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

#1 Posted: 1/12/2010 - 07:05

• Advertisement

• hayleydot

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2011

Hi curiousworld,

Check out www.ecoteer.com, it is an online resource where you can search for responsible travel and volunteering. You just pay a small fee to sign up (£15 for 2 years I think) then you have access to all the projects contact info. You can browse the projects before signing up too!

Worth checking out, they have some really good organisations listed and more grass roots volunteering projects so you are not paying for them to have expensive offices in the city!

Happy volunteering :)

#2 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 03:12

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I have the perfect contact for you:

Contact Souly at SEDA-Laos. They have openings specifically for policy and grant writers, so your skills will go to good use:

http://seda-laos.org/welcome/?page_id=29

#3 Posted: 27/1/2011 - 12:01

• Bigerman

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2012

If any one still looking for volunteer works do check out Saelao Project in Vang Vieng: http://saelaoproject.com/

#4 Posted: 24/12/2012 - 08:29

• alexdavid

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

“The Little Big Project” is a Volunteer Tourism competition funded by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), to inspire worldwide travelers to take a Volunteer vacation in Thailand.

This will give you an opportunity to do something meaningful while on holiday, You will be amazed how little can make such a BIG difference, and to have a life changing experience for yourself and make a better world for others.

#5 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 21:44

• DylanCarvey

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

Check out http://globalhelpswap.com/ too, it's free to join and they have quite a few opportunities in SE Asia. It's a new site and they rely on donations.

Good luck!

#6 Posted: 29/5/2013 - 08:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mandalay to Laos (preferably Luang Prabang, but Vientiane is ok too!) ... By Undisclosed on 27 May 2013 1 2532 29 Jun 2013
Looking for a 3-months volunteering job without fees ... By N3sh on 10 Jan 2013 6 2502 29 May 2013
3 months in SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Camb & Laos) - arrive & depart from Bangkok ... By AndyPandy on 8 Aug 2012 7 2559 27 Sep 2012