Volunteering in Asia forum

Volunteering at Care for Dog, Chiang Mai

• Nola_Lee_Ke-
    lsey

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011
    Location Thailand

Hello,

I run the volunteer orientations at Care for Dogs outside Chiang Mai. We welcome animal loving volunteers at the shelter and I train new folks on Wed from 10 a.m. until about 2. After that if you are animal savvy you can set your own schedule.

There is no charge for our program. We just need more hands to socialize, walk, bathe, clean… Most important is giving the dogs enough attention and experience with different people that when they get adopted they do well around their new families. Setting them up for success, so to speak.

The shelter is a bit away from the main tourist area (20 minutes by taxi) in a quiet part of Hangdog, but we may also be able to arrange homestays nearby. If longer term volunteers (a week or more) need to be trained on a different day, we can try and schedule something in advance. Please check out the Care for Dogs website and contact us or talk to me right here in Travelfish if you’d like more information.

http://www.CareforDogs.org

All the best,

Nola

#1 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 16:10

• Advertisement

• EmwanderEr

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

Hi Ms. Nola,

Hi Ms. Nola, I'm may, 23 from phil. I'll be backpacking northern thailand next year 2013, starting feb 5 until 15 i think. But on feb 7 to 10 I'll be having my meditation class. So I can go on those days of my stays I would like to help to take care of some of your lovely pets, to take them for a walk, bath and clean.

I do have experience taking good care of dogs because I do have 4 adorable dogs in my house. But i'm not a professional animal care taker, I'm just an animal lover :)

#2 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 06:56

• Nola_Lee_Ke-
    lsey

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2011
    Location Thailand

Hello,

How great that you want to spend some time giving the greatCare for Dogs pups some much needed extra help and attention. If you can pet adog, you can volunteer. Unlike many programs for voluntravelers, professional experienceis not a must to make a real difference at domestic rescues.

Good socialization skills in dogs are invaluable to helpingthem cope with shelter life, as well as setting them up for success in adoptivehomes. The more loving people from all walks of life they are exposed to, thebetter. And, if you can do more- walk, give baths, clean… that's a bonus!

You may not have noticed that the post is 1.5 years old. I amno longer working as the CfD Volunteer Coordinator. However, they do still havethe program, great people to help you get set up and plenty of happy tails thatwould truly appreciate a walk and pat on the head.

A summary of their volunteer program, as well as contactdetails are posted here: http://www.carefordogs.org/volunteer/travel-volunteers

The place can seem a bit manic when you first arrive. A newperson is very exciting you know? But, just dove in. When you volunteer for acouple days, getting to know the individual dogs as they settle down with youmakes it all worthwhile!

BTW: I am still here in Chiang Mai with my 4.5 dogs (ones a ShihTzu). Two of which are adopted from CfD. They really do great work, so I truly thankyou for your interest in volunteering.

All the best,

Nola

#3 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 07:59

• EmwanderEr

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2012

It's my pleasure to help especially to just like them who really in need for help. How lovely that was, anyway i just saw the website.

And I'll just email them for the advance reservation of my volunteering to them. May I ask, do you know the Stonefree house located in Yuwa, Sanpatong, Chiang Mai? because after my meditation class my plan is to stay there, because I think it is not far from Cfd Centre/house am I right?

Do i need to walk by or take a ride from Stonefree House to Cfd? If you don't know the place that's okay. I only just want to ask it in advance. :) Thanks

#4 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 22:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.