Volunteering in Asia forum

Volunteer ideas for Architects & Design/Engineering professionals?

• Pomsitong

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2012

My partner and I are heading to Northern Thailand (most likely Chiang Mai) for several months, and looking for some ideas on volunteer opportunities. I was curious what other design professionals have found in SE Asia, as most of the opportunities seem to be around teaching English, caring for children, or wildlife conservation (all very interesting mind you!). With a technical architecture background (design, detailing, construction methods & administration, project management), I am looking for a way to use these skills for some good... Or least in a somewhat related way. So far, building/renovating schools or orphanages, or teaching art/sculpture/architecture to kids are the only things that come mind. Curious if anyone has come up other ideas, or specific organisations in the CNX area? Oh, and I speak and read intermediate Thai. Thanks for your thoughts!

#1 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 13:58

• Advertisement

• Pomsitong

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2012

Oh and architecture is one of the professions that is specifically banned for non-Thais to "practise" in Thailand... :\

#2 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 14:01

• alexdavid

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2013

Before the tsunami, most Andaman Coast communities lived a traditional fishing lifestyle while many young, talented people would leave the region to find work in larger cities. There is very little economic diversity in the area, so as tourism slowly makes its way north from Khao Lak, it presents a real economic opportunity. Unfortunately, this means that the region is being exposed to the threat of large and exploitative tourist developments. There is a danger of local communities being unprepared, both in terms of job skills and cultural resilience that could lead to rapid community and natural degradation. The tsunami brought a great number of changes: entire villages were re-located, livelihoods were impacted, and loved ones lost. Inspiringly, many communities created new opportunities from the loss, especially in the area of community-based tourism. Andaman Discoveries is continuing to make this a reality by reaching out to conscientious travelers, making it possible to have a meaningful village experience through exceptional service and comprehensive support materials.
    Through a dedicated network of supporters, volunteers, and donations, NATR successfully implemented over 120 projects in 12 villages by listening to and working with the villagers themselves. All projects have focused on long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability and creating realistic economic opportunities through training and marketing.

voluntourist travel

#3 Posted: 20/4/2013 - 09:21

• Jutka

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2013

Try this http://www.workaway.info/hostlist.html I think its a great site, hope it will help you

#4 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 16:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.