Volunteering in Asia forum

Volunteering with kids in Vietnam

• SarahA

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012

Hi everyone,
    I want to bring your attention to a great charity I have volunteered with in Tuy Hoa Vietnam, Nhan Viet volunteer (www.nhanvietvolunteer.com). Some of the placements include working with street kids,teaching english at the fishing village, teaching art and sports to deaf students, and physiotherapy/care at the agent orange centre. The fee is $200 USD/week and this covers accomodation, delicious food, orientation and transportation to job sites. It really is a great deal and the extra money goes back in to supporting the kids, with special events like outings or an art show. Thanks to former volunteers, we now sponsor over 50 street kids to go to school! There's lots to do at the beachside location and weekends off (outings can be organized). Minimum recommended stay is 2 weeks. The kids really need more volunteers! Please message me and I will give you more info!

#1 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 14:00

• Advertisement

• SarahA

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2012

I forgot to mention that part of the fee covers a translator who accompanies you to the sites. After reading some of the other posts, I want to assure everyone that they make very little money off of your stay (in fact they charge a small fraction of what the international organization used to charge). The benefit from having volunteers come and visit, even for a short amount of time, is that many of them (I'd say about half) feel a lifelong dedication to the kids afterwards. At this location, former volunteers have raised money for school fees, a new building to house the street kids, vocational training for older kids, a paid physiotherapist for the orphanage, etc.

#2 Posted: 9/7/2012 - 14:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.