Volunteering in Asia forum

Looking for a 3-months volunteering job without fees

• N3sh

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Hello,

I have just registered and I am here to ask help for searching for a volunteering job in Asia.
    I have researched a bit and I have noticed that almost all the projects I have encountered so far require me to pay a fee for participating.

I am currently a student and that kind of money + travel expenses (flights for example) is far from my reach. Therefore I hope to find some opportunities where I get at least the accommodation and food while I work there.

If you know something similar in Africa or elsewhere, feel free to post it anyway.

Cheers.

N.

#1 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 05:26

• Advertisement

• LolaNguyen

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

It might help if you narrow down your search and pick a country with a few places you'd consider basing yourself, here in Hoi An there are a few not for profit projects that are always on the lookout for volunteers that provide accommodation and basic rations, one of them Project Indochina only want people that have the qualifications to help - nursing is a good tool, but there is also the lifestart foundation who are always on the lookout for anyone with absolutely anything to offer. They both have websites, so take a look.

Maybe someone else can help out with other destinations?

#2 Posted: 16/1/2013 - 03:07

• tatspaghetti

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2012

Are you qualified in anything useful for the volunteer organisations you want to work for? What kind of work are you looking for? It sounds like you are just looking for a free holiday!

When volunteering abroad you are taking the work away from local people. If you do not have any usable qualifications then it is justified that you will need to pay fees to join a program.

I know this because I run a volunteer project myself. We do not get any funding and rely solely on contributions (time, monetary and skills) from volunteers to keep the project going. We are improving the animal welfare standards of animals at a Safari Park in a run down area with very few tourists.

Grass root volunteer placements need dedicated and passionate volunteers. We've had many kinds of people come and work with us, and those who were looking for a cheap holiday were the ones who delayed what we really need to achieve as we had to train them up, just for them to treat it like a holiday and clock off at 4pm, spend all day doing laundry, getting fuel and relaxing in the sun instead of the vital work we are trying to achieve.

Please reconsider your goal of 'volunteering for free, anyhow, anywhere' as you will probably end up doing more harm then good. Of course, if you have a trade then it would help if you posted that to allow potential volunteer co-ordinators browsing this board to contact you if they think you are suitable.

#3 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 23:41

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You are a student of what and in what country? Maybe I can help you out...

#4 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 00:17

• mark_ahoy

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2011

Hey Tatspag..

My girlfriend and I are heading east to sample different culture and to open our eyes and we're hoping to do some volunteering.
    You speak about skills and the program you are doing sounds like something we'd like to do. I have no real experience with animals but I have worked as both a mechanic and electrician (of sorts), a carpenter and currently an English teacher in Spain.
    My girlfriend, who is a drama teacher, has experience in animal management, spending a year on a farm in England that is also a tourist spot for rare breeds.
    Could these skills be the kind of thing you could use?
    Cheers
    Mark

#5 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 10:43

• tatspaghetti

Joined Travelfish
    28th September, 2012

Hi Mark! Maybe you could e-mail me at safariparkopenzooATgmailDOTcom and I can send you more information?
    Unfortunately we do not yet have the support of this website so we cannot directly link to our volunteer website.
    I look forward to hearing from you :)

#6 Posted: 17/4/2013 - 19:33

• DylanCarvey

Joined Travelfish
    29th May, 2013

Hey Tatspag!

Check out http://globalhelpswap.com/ they have quite a few free and low cost volunteering opportunities in SE Asia. Its free to join as they just ask for donations.

My friends have used them and were really impressed even though it's a new site.

Good luck!

Dylan

#7 Posted: 29/5/2013 - 08:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 Months Volunteering in Asia (preferably Laos) ... By curiousworld on 1 Dec 2010 5 5420 29 May 2013