Volunteering in Asia forum

English teacher wants (free) volunteer work

• mari111

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2013

Hi,

I'm 23, I'm an ESL teacher, and I thought I'd like to spend a month or two volunteering in Thailand or Cambodia.

Ideally, the school/volunteering organization would look like this:

1. Has other English speakers there (so I don't get lonely :/)

2. Safe- I'm a solo female traveller

3. I wouldn't have to pay to volunteer- I'm on a low budget

4. Actually helps the people it's supposed to help! The more I read up on volunteer organizations in southeast Asia, the more it seems like they don't really help the people they're supposed to be helping. For example, they ask for childcare for orphans- and then the volunteers only stay for 6 months, which is really traumatic for the kids who form an attachment to the volunteers. Or, they get people to build houses, something Thai/Cambodian people could get paid to do, instead of having westerners pay to do it.

Does anyone know of organizations that fit what I want? Basically just a school with other English teachers, that doesn't ask me to pay for working,

#1 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 16:45

• Advertisement

• jwebster79

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2013

Hi

I might be able to help you out with some info

There is www.newfuturesorganisation.com based in a rural part of Cambodia in a place called Takeo the organisation supports nearly 1200 children in villages around the area where there are a number of volunteers helping with teaching with not only children but also the Police and the Monks. There are sometimes up to 26 volunteers but can dwindle down to 5-6 at times but it is seeing a huge influx in volunteers this year. I have been in Takeo supporting NFO for almost a year now and have done many different things to help including teaching you will find yourself not wanting to leave. There are many people you will meet during your stay and often volunteers go to visit places at the weekends when it starts to quieten down.

With volunteering here there is a one off fee of $25 which is for your passport and visa information to be sent to the local authorities then after that there are the usual costs involved of accomodation which is $5 a night or $7 if you share. That's it really in a nutshell !

It's worth checking out the NFO facebook page as there are things there you maybe interested in if not feel free to email me for more info at jakewebster79@hotmail.com

#2 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 03:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I know a school that could use you in a village in Ampur Luang Nok Tha in Yasothon province in Thailand. They might be able to give you a room to stay in and lunch as well and maybe a small stipend. There is one other English (non-native) speaker there. They start in June.

Two caveats:

1. This is rural Thai living. You would be eating local and access to bars and so forth is ten km away.
    2. Transportation options would be limited. If you don't find a way to acquire a motorcycle, getting around will be difficult.

They have internet access on the school grounds.

The kids come from almost universally poor backgrounds but there are a lot of good kids there who are trying hard to learn. I enjoyed them when I was there.

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

#3 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 03:58

• naiduss

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2012

I'm currently volunteering at Isara Foundation in Nong Khai , Thailand and couldn't be happier with my decision. The program is free, and volunteers are provided with accommodation on site with all the facilities you need. Nong Khai is a sleepy river town in Northern Thailand, with the Friendship Bridge connecting Laos and Thailand a short 4km away from the school. During the school year volunteers have the opportunity to teach in government schools and live in home stays for a more authentic experience, but during holidays Isara has 3 classes/7 days a week for all age groups. The classes are an hour each beginning at 4pm so your days are free. Isara also has a few other initiatives in place such as a recycling center, plastic bottle drive, and helmet campaign. They are widely recognized in the community and teaching here has been an incredible experience. Check out their website www.isara.org for more info. Kirk, the founder, originates from Texas but has devoted himself to Isara for the past decade.

#4 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 23:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I have to get up to Nong Khai. I'm surprised it's "sleepy", as Mukdahan is about the same size and is definitely not sleepy.

#5 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 03:23

• kristalc

Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2013

I've been volunteering at the Mercy Centre in Klong Toey, Bangkok. You would be teaching preschool children up to age 6. There are other native English speakers volunteering here. They can also provide accommodation near the centre if you need it, they just charge a daily rate (pretty cheap compared to other parts of Bangkok. There website is www.mercycentre.org - click through to the volunteer page for more information and to fill out the application.

Another organisation that takes volunteer English teachers is Step Ahead - there programs are based in Khao Lak, Thailand. There website is www.steapaheadmed.org.

I organised my volunteering with the Mercy Centre through the Muskoka Foundation. It's a platform for skilled travellers that want to volunteer as they travel. They have partnerships with different organisations across the world. There website is www.dogoodasyougo.com. Potentially they might have connections in Cambodia, I know they work with organisations near Chiang Mai in Thailand.

#6 Posted: 29/3/2013 - 00:04

• PaulFarrugia

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2013

Hi Mari!

Check out http://globalhelpswap.com/ there are many opportunities for teaching English in S.E Asia. Good luck! We did it a few years ago and it changed our lives!

Paul

#7 Posted: 3/4/2013 - 05:44

• quynhlt1208

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, we are from Ha Noi, Vietnam
    Seeking native English speakers for recording per hours
    Looking for international volunteers for education project
    Dear volunteers,
    We are Vietkindertech Nursery English Center. Vietkindertech Nursery English center is a non profit project which operates with purpose to develop english teaching program for kids. The center is applied high technology in teaching. Equipped with the best conditions and textbooks which are selected from Vietnamese and international education,Vietkindertech creates a prestigious, comprehensive education brand, aimed at preschool children from 3-6 age. Besides, our center is a prestigious and professional training place for preschool english teachers, then they can have job opportunities in kindergartens and nursery schools in Ha Noi.Vietkindertech Nursery Englishcenter is located in the center of Ha Noi, so that you can easily get in touch with us.
    We are searching forthe high-motivated international Volunteers for our project from September 1st to October 1st 2014. Our project has been carried out in Hanoi and the main job is recording for English nursery programs. The audio files have been prepared for little Vietnamese children from the age of 3 to 6, so speed and voice expression is important. Therefore, we are looking for native English speakers from America, Canada, the UK and Australia who can read texts aloud ina clear and easily understandable voice.
    If English is your native language and you have a pleasant voice, this could be a good opportunity for you: Creating audio versions of our written materials. All you need is an interest in reading stories, poems and loving kids. We will provide the sound recording equipments and recording studio.
    This is a non-payment job. However, this project is especially good for international volunteers whowish to pursue a career in teaching. And, volunteers have opportunities to go to Hanoi kindergartens to play and communicate with kids. Furthermore,volunteers have many benefits: During the project, volunteers will be taken to go sight seeing around Hanoi (HoanKiem Lake, Temple of Literature, Hanoi’s OldQuarter, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, etc); enjoy Vietnamese traditional foods and the Vietnamese festivals with us. Especially, volunteers are arranged accommodation in homestay.
    If you are interested in our project, please send your application form to us:
    Project assistant: Ms Quynh – Vietkindertech Nursery English Center
    Email: quynhlt1208@gmail.com
    Address: 4th Floor, Qunimex Building, 29 Le Dai Hanh, Hai Ba Trung Dict., Hanoi, Vietnam
    Hanoi,September1st 2014

#8 Posted: 12/9/2014 - 21:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Free volunteer work in Cambodia ... By Phoenix66 on 15 May 2011 29 26139 1 Jul 2014
Free Volunteer Work in Thailand ... By dragonfruit on 2 Jun 2010 0 4455 2 Jun 2010
First timer advise, Volunteer/Work ... By liltraveler on 14 Nov 2011 0 774 14 Nov 2011
Volunteer at English School, Stung Treng, Cambodia. ... By chikey on 10 Mar 2011 0 3662 10 Mar 2011
Volunteer at English Language School, Stung Treng, Cambodia ... By chikey on 10 Mar 2011 0 4556 10 Mar 2011
Volunteer in an English language school in Siem Reap, Cambodia ... By vietnamobsessed on 19 Jan 2010 7 7008 8 Aug 2012
Long-term English Language Teaching Volunteer Wanted in Siem Reap ... By mrdome on 22 Apr 2011 2 4341 25 Apr 2011
Free Volunteering in Cambodia - Teach English! ... By volunteerincambodia on 27 Jun 2008 0 3803 27 Jun 2008
Hostel exchange in Bangkok - voluntary work in return for a free bed ... By Eldwyer90 on 21 Aug 2014 2 437 21 Aug 2014