Volunteering in Asia forum
English teacher wants (free) volunteer work
9th March, 2013
I'm 23, I'm an ESL teacher, and I thought I'd like to spend a month or two volunteering in Thailand or Cambodia.
Ideally, the school/volunteering organization would look like this:
1. Has other English speakers there (so I don't get lonely )
2. Safe- I'm a solo female traveller
3. I wouldn't have to pay to volunteer- I'm on a low budget
4. Actually helps the people it's supposed to help! The more I read up on volunteer organizations in southeast Asia, the more it seems like they don't really help the people they're supposed to be helping. For example, they ask for childcare for orphans- and then the volunteers only stay for 6 months, which is really traumatic for the kids who form an attachment to the volunteers. Or, they get people to build houses, something Thai/Cambodian people could get paid to do, instead of having westerners pay to do it.
Does anyone know of organizations that fit what I want? Basically just a school with other English teachers, that doesn't ask me to pay for working,
#1 Posted: 21/3/2013 - 16:45
6th June, 2009
Total reviews: 10
I know a school that could use you in a village in Ampur Luang Nok Tha in Yasothon province in Thailand. They might be able to give you a room to stay in and lunch as well and maybe a small stipend. There is one other English (non-native) speaker there. They start in June.
1. This is rural Thai living. You would be eating local and access to bars and so forth is ten km away.
2. Transportation options would be limited. If you don't find a way to acquire a motorcycle, getting around will be difficult.
They have internet access on the school grounds.
The kids come from almost universally poor backgrounds but there are a lot of good kids there who are trying hard to learn. I enjoyed them when I was there.
Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
#2 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 03:58
21st October, 2012
I'm currently volunteering at Isara Foundation in Nong Khai , Thailand and couldn't be happier with my decision. The program is free, and volunteers are provided with accommodation on site with all the facilities you need. Nong Khai is a sleepy river town in Northern Thailand, with the Friendship Bridge connecting Laos and Thailand a short 4km away from the school. During the school year volunteers have the opportunity to teach in government schools and live in home stays for a more authentic experience, but during holidays Isara has 3 classes/7 days a week for all age groups. The classes are an hour each beginning at 4pm so your days are free. Isara also has a few other initiatives in place such as a recycling center, plastic bottle drive, and helmet campaign. They are widely recognized in the community and teaching here has been an incredible experience. Check out their website www.isara.org for more info. Kirk, the founder, originates from Texas but has devoted himself to Isara for the past decade.
#3 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 23:18
6th June, 2009
Total reviews: 10
I have to get up to Nong Khai. I'm surprised it's "sleepy", as Mukdahan is about the same size and is definitely not sleepy.
#4 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 03:23
6th November, 2014
I am very interested In Teaching English in Thailand. I will be arriving in late March next year and plan to stay up to 6 months. What would be the best way for me to arrange a volunteering job prior to getting there? Any help would be much appreciated.
#5 Posted: 6/11/2014 - 15:27
Add your reply
You need to be logged in to add a reply.
Not a member? you can join here.
|Possibly related discussions||Replies||Views||Latest reply|
|Free Volunteer Work in Thailand ...||0||4652||2 Jun 2010|
|Free volunteer work in Cambodia ...||29||28569||1 Jul 2014|
|First timer advise, Volunteer/Work ...||0||882||14 Nov 2011|
|Volunteer at English School, Stung Treng, Cambodia. ...||0||3878||10 Mar 2011|
|Volunteer in an English language school in Siem Reap, Cambodia ...||7||7393||8 Aug 2012|
|Volunteer at English Language School, Stung Treng, Cambodia ...||0||4924||10 Mar 2011|
|Long-term English Language Teaching Volunteer Wanted in Siem Reap ...||2||4551||25 Apr 2011|
|Free Volunteering in Cambodia - Teach English! ...||0||3988||27 Jun 2008|
|Hostel exchange in Bangkok - voluntary work in return for a free bed ...||2||885||21 Aug 2014|