Volunteering in Asia forum

Volunteer in Phnom Phenh

• finola55

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

***CHECK THIS OUT *************

http://www.savechildreninasia.org/index.htm (this is a really informative website)

I am currently working as a volunteer at this orphanage, just 7km from Phnom Penh, teaching English. They REALLY need volunteers. Whatever your skills are bring them along! It has a great atmosphere and has really felt like a second home. It doesn't cost anything....meals and a bed are provided in exchange for your enthusiasm and help! Although donations and sponsorship are greatly received. Give what you can afford.

If you are interested it is best to telephone the orphanage on:

Tel.012336501

They can't afford the internet just yet so they don't manage to check their emails too often! If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me before you contact the orphanage. It might be easier since Mr Samith's (manager) English is quite basic.

I am coming to the end of my second week and now have an even better idea of the organisation...

Due to increased demand and enthusiasm SCAO now runs 5 English classes a day, with over 130 local people attending, free of charge. Only last week the classroom extension was completed to accommodate the rising numbers.

Their most recent project started just 1 month ago. A Sewing School with 4 machines is open 3 days a week. A sewing teacher is employed to teach locals and SCAO members how to produce clothing from scratch. It is proving to be very successful so far. In the long term this project hopes to both educate and create a sustainable form of revenue for SCAO and for local impoverished people.

Another project in the pipeline is a Motorbike Repair School. Three of the senior SCAO residents are currently working hard on their Internships to become fully qualified Motorbike Mechanics. Again, the plan is to extend this project, free of charge, to the local community, teaching people essential repair skills.

Further to this, SCAO is funding the education of 11 students. They are currently putting students through Public School, High School and University.

If anyone wants further information don't hesitate to ask me!

#1 Posted: 11/9/2009 - 20:14

• Advertisement

• ecilassim

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2009

Hi Finola!so suprised n happy to "see" u here!!im Daniel from malaysia,do u still remember me?im back in malaysia,but will be going for a month volunteer at coming oct.will u and Ian still there?

#2 Posted: 12/9/2009 - 19:34

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Finola,

How is the search for people going? I wish I could go but I am under contract until Feb.
    How long are you planning on staying there for?

#3 Posted: 13/9/2009 - 09:06

• finola55

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2009

Hey Daniel! Yeah really weird to find you here. Small world. We were sad to leave the orphanage last week. Really glad to hear that you are heading out. Have you let Mr Samith know your plans? He would be really happy to hear someone is coming out during the rainy season.

All the best!

#4 Posted: 22/9/2009 - 13:15

• scl

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2010

Hey Finola, I'm definately keen to volunteer in the orphanage. I'm leaving for south east asia on July 5th, landing in singapore. I dont have any itinerary at all, so I have no idea when I would be in Phnom Penh. I'm planning to travel around south east asia for about 5 months, and volunteer for roughly about 2-3 weeks.
    let me know how we can make this happen!!
    Email me back on scl-@hotmail.com, because I check that more regularily than this webiste.
    I'll talk to you soon!!!
    Samantha

#5 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 09:55

• scl

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2010

Hey Finola, I'm definately keen to volunteer in the orphanage. I'm leaving for south east asia on July 5th, landing in singapore. I dont have any itinerary at all, so I have no idea when I would be in Phnom Penh. I'm planning to travel around south east asia for about 5 months, and volunteer for roughly about 2-3 weeks.
    let me know how we can make this happen!!
    Email me back on scl-@hotmail.com, because I check that more regularily than this webiste.
    I'll talk to you soon!!!
    Samantha

#6 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 09:56

• Deadpoets

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009

Thanks for the great info. I was in Siem Reap last year and volunteered at SOCPLSDO over a Bakong district. Wonderful and rewarding experience! Well...I'm going back starting with Phnom Pehn and then Siem Reap in October. I will love to stop by this place and volunteer for a week or more.

Hope to see some of you there!
    Sincerely...

#7 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 12:12

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Hi,

If you are after a volunteering opportunity near Battambang, have a look at my post here http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodiaadditions/8147_volunteer-opportunity-homestay-near-battambang

It was the experience of a lifetime.

#8 Posted: 16/6/2010 - 16:10

• jubileeform-
    eee

Joined Travelfish
    28th August, 2010

hey finola,
    i am definitely interested in volunteering! i'll be in cambodia next week or so...let's make this happen! email me at morgan.hargraves@gmail.com because it's a much better way to get in contact with me. thanks!

#9 Posted: 28/8/2010 - 19:39

• benrob87

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

hi finola, i am definitely interested in helping out any way i can possibly help. i am currently traveling in south korea but i am planning on being in cambodia in late feb or early march. if there is anything i can do please get back in touch with me my email is benrobson@tiscali.co.uk

thanks, ben x

#10 Posted: 10/1/2011 - 16:46

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Phenh - Koh Chang - Bangkok? ... By sackonmyback on 8 Aug 2006 3 2203 8 Aug 2006
Teva sandals in Phnom Phenh ... By pete61 on 23 Oct 2009 2 3624 24 Oct 2009
Vietnamese Honda Dream, Kampot/Phnom Phenh ... By chobbo77 on 10 Dec 2011 2 1038 23 Dec 2011