Volunteering in Asia forum

Thailand volunteering?

• violaine

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Hello!
    I was hoping to get some first-hand suggestions or information about volunteering in Thailand from people with experience. I will be there for over 3 months (Jan-April) and am looking to find a good NGO to work for during about a month. Ideally, I would love to work with children and (or) women. Please let me know if you have anything for me :) . I am rather flexible about the details of it all.

Thanks for sharing !

cheers,
    Violaine.

#1 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 09:20

• Advertisement

• violaine

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Maybe I should mention a few things .. I'll be traveling alone, and am a 20 year old woman (taking some time off of school) .

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 09:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Do you have any skills? For example, there's a school for the deaf where live, and they could use some help. Might find an orphnage you could assist at teaching English - or just spending time playing with the kids since they don't get much affection.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:00

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

There's a few organizations that accept volunteer teachers for short term placements. Check these out:

NE Thailand: http://www.isan-survivor.org/volunteer.html

or

Andaman Coast: http://www.volunteerteacherthailand.org/need.htm

There's a lot of "Gap Year" type volunteer programs where you can work in a national park, at the gibbon centre in Phuket, at an orphanage, etc. but they typically have significant placement fees ($400 USD and up).

#4 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:09

• violaine

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Thank you so much for the replies !
    In terms of skills, I am fluent in French and English, and have some experience teaching both languages to children (although I was interested in looking for volunteering possibilities outside of the language teaching realm..). I play the violin, can cook.. otherwise, I'm open to learning new skills!

Hope to get more suggestions with time ,

thanks again

Violaine

#5 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 05:23

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

This NGO usually deals with longterm placements from Canada and the UK, but you might check with them anyway. If nothing else, they can probably point you in the right direction.

http://www.cuso.org/

#6 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 23:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well, if you came out here, I am sure my wife could find somewhere for you to do some charity work. But you would have to sustain yourself - that is house and feed yourself.

#7 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 12:22

• violaine

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

It would depend on the circumstances - i.e. what kind of housing would be available in the area, etc. What area are you & your wife located in, and what kind of charities is she affiliated with ?

#8 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 13:20

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

My wife has done a little work with the local school for the deaf - which is a school which also houses the children. If you were here for a month you could probably stay in an apartment owned by a friend of mine - it's 3,000 baht a month plus utilities (it's furnished). Because you are only staying a short time, she might want a little more, but not much.

I live in Mukdahan.

#9 Posted: 3/10/2009 - 13:23

• krabifarmst-
    ay

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2009
    Location Thailand

If your interested in offering some time and a little towards your accomodation and meals I am currently building a farmstay/school camp in Sai Khao 60km south of Krabi.

We want to build the camp for underpriviledged Thai children. Currently we are offering free accomodation and meals in exchange for a donation towards the camp.

The donation might be a cow or ten chickens. You could even donate towards building resources and help us make something at the farm.
    For example a donation of 15 bags of cement is 2,750baht which gets you 7 days accomodation and meals and you get to help us use the cement to build a new external shower house which the children can use when they stay with us. There's lots of things that can be donated which we trade for accomodation, meals and local tours around the area.

Theres lots to do here and it's pretty much free. We take people to national parks, beaches, fishing all for the price of the gasoline. We teach our volunteers how to live a sustainable life here in thailand with the help of our Thai locals.

If you are interested let me know or call 0878870769.

Cheers
    Jerry

#10 Posted: 4/10/2009 - 16:04

• Advertisement

• jeffuk

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2009

Hi All,

I am also looking at doing some volunteer work when i am in Thailand, i am there between Jan 11th-March 11th, can you send me some information regarding the farmstay/school camp Jerry, i am very interested in doing something like this. You can email me chrisjefferson_uk@hotmail.com

Cheers

#11 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 01:40

• violaine

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2009

Hi Jerry,
    I'd love to get some more information about this - you can contact me at violaine1@hotmail.com . Thank you so much for the information, looking forward to hearing more about it !

Violaine.

#12 Posted: 5/10/2009 - 06:24

• husqvarna

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Hi Violaine:
    You might also check out the author of the book "The Angel of Bang Kwang Prison", Susan Aldous. She lives in Bangkok and is involved in many charitable endeavors. You can learn more about her on her Facebook page.
    I have not met her in person, but have emailed her several times and she seems very genuine. Makes life a whole lot better to help someone without expecting anything in return, but you usually get a lot back which you can't put a price on.
    Lee

#13 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 14:21

• husqvarna

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2009

Hi Violaine:
    You might also check out the author of the book "The Angel of Bang Kwang Prison", Susan Aldous. She lives in Bangkok and is involved in many charitable endeavors. You can learn more about her on her Facebook page.
    I have not met her in person, but have emailed her several times and she seems very genuine. Makes life a whole lot better to help someone without expecting anything in return, but you usually get a lot back which you can't put a price on.
    Lee

#14 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 14:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh I forgot, Father Joe in Klong Toey does some wonderful work with orphans. He should be easy enough to find on the net. You might want to volunteer there. Those kids have it tough.

#15 Posted: 6/10/2009 - 14:47

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

@jerry

that sounds fantastic. do you have a website?

#16 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 03:08

• krabifarmst-
    ay

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been doing a hectic visa run that sent me almost all over Thailand and then into Malaysia after my passport was stolen. Hmmm!

Anyone interseted in the farmstay idea can contact me direct if they like. I'm at worldevents@rock.com.

The website is coming. I'm building it myself so it's taking a little time. The plan is to create Youtube videos of all the projects that are on offer and how we need your help in getting there. There will be pics as well so you know exactly what the place is like before you arrive.

It will be up and running within the next few days so please be patient with me. It's a new concept and it's something I think everyone on a tight budget will appreciate especially when they see how something so little like putting manpower into a project or buying a bag of cement can help an entire community.

Safe travels and I will get a back to all that have requested information today.

Jerry

#17 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 10:15

• christof

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

@ jerry...Sounds good.

I have a strong connection with Krabi (having lived in the region for 5 years previously) and would be glad to give some assistance.

I will mostly be on Koh Phra Thong for the next 6 months but will be coming down to Krabi on 20th or so October. If you need free website help then I would be happy to meet you and give some advice...for what its worth.

I'm no expert but have been doing it for about a year or so for my own projects in Thailand. Please see www.kohphrathong.com or www.blue-guru.org to check out my work.

Cheers

#18 Posted: 11/10/2009 - 15:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.