Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Fishing in Siem Reap?

Posted by ccalvin09 on 17/9/2009 at 07:49

My husband and I will be in Siem Reap in mid-January checking out Angkor. We're pumped! We want to take one day just to ride bikes into the countryside with a picnic and go fishing and make friends. Is this possible or even legal? Has anyone done this? I don't want to go on a tour or hire a fishing guide. but i would happily hire a local kid to help us buy our gear and find a nice spot. He can even take our fish home to his family. =) thoughts? if fishing doesnt sound like a good ide ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,987 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by mattocmd on 18/9/2009 at 11:20

Beach Huts

Posted by cechadwick25 on 15/9/2009 at 20:00

Hello, I'm looking for a great beach front hut for myself and 4 other friends to spend our last week in Cambodia in. As were young and will be spending new years eve there it would be great if the place had abit of young enviroment. Having said that we are also looking for a place to relax. Budget wise were not to fussed but we would prefer something around $25. I would love your help if you know of anywhere. Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,535 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by cechadwick25 on 17/9/2009 at 18:49

mondulkiri vs. ratanakiri

Posted by anw64681 on 17/9/2009 at 00:18

hello all! long timer reader, first time poster here ;) i have only a brief amount of time to spend in cambodia (unfortunately), and i am having a tough time deciding between mondulkiri and ratanakiri. can anyone recommend one over the other? i'm a novel person, so the one thing i'd REALLY like to do (no matter where) is go on an elephant trek, and i hear i can do that in either location? anyway, that's my only stipulation... insights appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,792 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/9/2009 at 07:30

Help with Khmer-English Translation

Posted by bleucheese on 4/9/2009 at 09:45

I will be traveling to Cambodia for a few weeks and I have a sever nut allergy. I am hoping someone can help translate this: "I cannot eat any nuts especially peanuts and peanut oil. I can die if I eat peanuts or peanut oil. If your kitchen uses peanut oil or peanuts, I should not eat here or there will be an emergency. Thank you." Its actually not quite that severe- I react very quickly, vomit and have a sore stomach for a day, but I would like to avoid that situation as much as possible. I am ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,136 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by marigeri on 15/9/2009 at 05:46

Bangkok to Siem Reap overland - updated

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2009 at 14:38

Just a quick note that I've updated the Bangkok to Siem Reap overland story, to reflect the change in the road situation there. Story is here: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71 Basically, the road from Poipet to Siem Reap is now totally sealed and the trip can take as little as one and a half hours by share taxi. This also means it is far easier to do Siem Reap to Bangkok or Siem Reap to Ko Chang in a day. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,500 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by Missis on 12/9/2009 at 04:28

Sustainable tourism in Cambodia

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/9/2009 at 09:53

I've just added a new story onto Travelfish -- an email interview with Daniela Ruby Papi of PEPY Tours. PEPY runs "educational adventure tours" to rural Cambodia with a focus on supporting development in Cambodia's educational system. The interview may be of interest to anyone with an eye on the development scene there and with opinions on what forms good sustainable tourism. You can read the full story here: Sustainable tourism in Cambodia with PEPY Tours Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,153 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 11/9/2009 at 14:36

Cycling in Cambodia

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2009 at 14:49

I'm just in the process of sending the newsletter and I remembered the following email we got from last month's effort. I forgot to post it at the time, so here it is: "Early this year, on January 25th (2009), just over one year since I began my travels through Asia, and on the day before Chinese New Year no less, I was cycling around Battambang. As I was about to cross the river by way of an iron bridge, an opening suddenly appeared - probably a negligently exposed part of the structure, whi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,690 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by peripatete on 9/9/2009 at 23:31

siem reap to phnom penh recent info

Posted by EdSue on 6/9/2009 at 18:55

anyone got newer info or advice.Seems most shown are 2007 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,715 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 6/9/2009 at 19:53

Battambang

Posted by mattocmd on 29/8/2009 at 21:31

I am looking for the name of a famous temple near Battambang. When I was there in January the local expats were telling me of this temple a few hours away. According to them its "better" than Ankor Wat but no one really knows about it yet. I didn't have the time to check it out and with the crappy maps that they gave me, I just didn't have the energy to find it on my own. They also told me that its in the latest Cambodia lonely planet so now the "secret is out" blah blah blah..... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,716 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 6/9/2009 at 01:08

Angkor gets slated

Posted by sayadian on 29/8/2009 at 15:00

ANGKOR, CAMBODIA THE BUILD-UP Angkor boasts some of the most jaw-dropping Buddhist monuments in Southeast Asia. The dozens of spectacular temples here are crowned by the peerless Angkor Wat – the site’s largest monument – in a memorably atmospheric setting among gnarled jungles and glass-like paddy fields. THE REALITY Unfortunately, there’s no escaping the crowds here. The days when Angkor was a remote and challenging destination are sadly long gone. The temples are now firmly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,623 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by TS77 on 5/9/2009 at 00:57

Route Suggestion

Posted by cdnexplorer on 4/9/2009 at 07:59

I'll be travelling Cambodia in early 2010, and while drawing up some rough itineraries my fellow traveller and I have a discrepency between our two routes. We will be heading from Bangkok to Koh Chang, and from there making our way to northwestern Cambodia. Route 1: -Ko Chang to Chanthanburi -Chanthanburi to Ban Pakard, crossing the border at Psar Pruhm -share taxi to Battambang -Battambang to Siem Reap via Tonle Sap -Siem Reap to Phnom Penh Route 2: -Koh Chang to Poipet borde ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,194 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 4/9/2009 at 12:31

best indian food and 100 % halal food in phnom pehn* The kabab shop* street no. 104

Posted by manbir on 3/9/2009 at 13:58

hi every body first of all welcome 2 cambodia i m runing a kabab shop i phnom phen and also have indian food . best location in phnom phen full street have bars most populr bares are in my street and also a nice view of mekong river u can enjoy every type of kabab and indian pakestani and napelis food in my place.manbir singh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,348 times, with no replies.

angkor festival

Posted by soQQuadro on 2/9/2009 at 06:24

HI! anyone here knows when is going to be this year??!! ;* ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,007 times, with no replies.

itinerary for comments!

Posted by xhai on 31/8/2009 at 14:57

hi everyone am headed to siem reap in two days' time and am thinking of the following itinerary: Day 1: Land in airport about 12pm, check-in at golden temple villa, head to south gate of angkor thom and central angkor thom (bayon, tarrace of the elephants, leper king). Phnom Bakheng for sunset. Day 2: angkor wat for sunrise, ta phrom, pre nup, banteay srey (maybe). Rolous group after lunch. Day 3: tonle sap for morning, siem reap town after lunch. Day 4: Travel to Phnom Penh. I w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,902 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/9/2009 at 07:41

The Villa Siem Reap (package...)

Posted by smash on 31/8/2009 at 17:34

Hey all, I was recommended this place by a friend who stayed there earlier this year. She raved about it. I found this five-night package at US$215pp (plus US$40 each for the three-day pass) on their website and think it looks like really good value plus it hits what we want to hit: http://www.thevillasiemreap.com/packages_5nsupervalue.htm What are some of the experts thoughts? Love the idea of having a reliable guide organized and it does sound like a good operation. Is there a massive ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,115 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by smash on 1/9/2009 at 07:28

Any advice on entering thailand from ko kong

Posted by mrkarlholland on 6/3/2008 at 19:51

Hi im going to be travelling from siem reap to phnom penh then back to thailand so was thinking of heading to sihanoukville then to ko kong and back into thailand. Has anyone got any advice or info on sihanoukville or ko kong and what is the border crossing like? heading to ko kut and ko chang after ( i know this is cambodia forum but any opinions on these places aswell would be appreciated) Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,025 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by jackylim on 30/8/2009 at 21:39

Bangkok to Siem Reap

Posted by 4tindoors on 30/8/2009 at 10:06

What is the best route from Bangkok to Siem Reap ? Bangkok airlines is $300 and I refuse to go this route. I have read http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71 Has anyone traveled to Siem Reap post 2009?? Please indicate the route chosen and the total cost/travel time. The bus trip from Bangkok to Siem Reap seems difficult. Would it be better to fly to Phnom Pehn with Air Asia ($40) then travel to Siem Reap by bus (6 hours)? Even if it would be just to avoid the scams?? Please advise. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,348 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 30/8/2009 at 12:04

scam warning for Stung Treng

Posted by tazgirl on 4/7/2009 at 10:06

I just came across the border from Laos into Cambodia, stopping for a night in Stung Treng . There aren't many places to get travel advice in ST, so when a Mr Kosal said he could sell me a ticket to Siem Reap via Khompong Cham for $25, I took him up on it. But then it turned out that his "friend" who made the booking had made it from Phnom Penh to SR, so then I had to pay the extra to get from KC to PP ($5). I was aware I was being scammed, but didn't have much choice. I was told that the " ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,932 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by mikethediver on 27/8/2009 at 17:37

fcc phnom pehn: given the price, not impressed

Posted by hopingtoremainanonymous on 20/8/2008 at 06:17

Aug 2008 It's a good location and the room itself was modern, comfortable, with large windows and spacious, the cost and level of service of this FCC was thoroughly disappointing. For $50 a night in Phnom Penh, the staff accidentally sent luggage to Sihanoukville, didn't spray down the rooms or put up bed nets, didn't change burnt out light bulbs or deliver breakfast as requested. The dinner at the FCC was also less than impressive for the prices paid. I wouldn't stay here again. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,989 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by SteinOfOrange on 27/8/2009 at 13:33

Kampot updated

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/8/2009 at 11:51

I've just finished the update for Kampot in southern Cambodia, so there's a new google map, a bunch of new places to stay and eat and so on. Kep is on the way. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,361 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page