Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

booking flights while travelling

Posted by nickolt on 16/11/2010 at 12:01

How cost effective is it to book flights while youre travelling? My bf and I will be in SE Asia for 4 months, and would rather book flights while we're travelling so that we dont have to have a set routine. I know many budget airlines offer crazy deals, but often far in advance. What are you guys' experience with booking flights ? Also, aside from Air Asia, what is a decent low budget airline that flies to many places in SE Asia ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,761 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by nickolt on 18/11/2010 at 13:11

3 months in SEAsia. Itinerary ideas?

Posted by diabololiam on 15/11/2010 at 03:51

Hi I'm 27, from London. I'm heading to South East Asia in January. On my own, with the hope of meeting people to travel with. If you want to join me, or if you have any ideas or input for my itinerary, speak up. Cheers. Here's the itinerary so far: Jan 17th – Flight - London toKuala Lumpur (Booked) MALAYSIA 18th – Get to know KL, maybe go to Penang ? 22nd – Thaipusam – Batu Caves 24th – Flight - KL to Hanoi (Booked) VIETNAM 26th – Hanoi to Halong Bay 29th – Train to Hue 31st – ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,852 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 15/11/2010 at 06:50

Advice on route and where to spend Xmas?

Posted by Familyleith on 14/11/2010 at 13:34

Hello:) We would love some advice! We are a family of 4, have been travelling for 2months started in Indonesia and are currently in Phnom penh (already been to siem reap and sihanoukville)we need to be in hong kong by 3rd Jan, we also want to go to Mondulkiri to the elephant sanctuary and maybe Kratie to see the river dolphins. We need help because we cannot decide the best route! We need to go overland as much as poss as we r on a tight budget, we have heard Laos is amazing and cheap so not s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,619 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Familyleith on 14/11/2010 at 22:36

Thailand or Cambodia beach?

Posted by ssgtravel on 14/11/2010 at 03:01

In February, we will be in Bangkok, then on to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. We'll have about a week for relaxing on a beach and would like recommendations for a nice beach, easy to reach from one of those locations, cheap accomodation (but with hot water and toilet) available, and cheap food choices (street food, beach bars, etc.), nice areas for walking--nature, etc. We've looked at many posts and information and are still confused as to which would best meet our needs. Thanks for any recommen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,647 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ssgtravel on 14/11/2010 at 04:25

In Which Order?

Posted by MasterBates on 12/11/2010 at 08:11

I am voyaging for the first time to the region of South East Asia. I am landing in Bangkok on November 19, and from here will embark on my jaunt into Cambodia, Vietnam and/or Laos. The crucial information I seek is the following: which one should I enter after strolling accross Cambodia? Would you experts reccommend Laos or Vietnam? I have 6 months in total, so I can divide my time as I see fit. Ta, MB ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,783 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 13/11/2010 at 23:37

3 months in SEAsia: Itinerary ideas

Posted by diabololiam on 12/11/2010 at 21:13

I'm going on a solo backpacking trip to South East Asia in January. I've booked flights and a few other things (marked with a . All other dates are just rough estimates really. But any input or suggestions would be great. Or if anyone wants to join me for any part of it - reply here! Here's the itinerary so far... Jan 17th – Flight - London to Kuala Lumpur ( MALAYSIA 18th – Get to know KL, maybe go to Penang ? 22nd – Thaipusam – Batu Caves 24th – Flight - KL to Hanoi ( VIETNAM 26th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,538 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by diabololiam on 13/11/2010 at 21:59

Cambodia, vietnam and laos

Posted by danni87 on 7/11/2010 at 22:13

Hello! Im hoping someone can help me? Me and my friend want to travel to cambodia, vietnam and laos from approx 25/07/2011 for around 3-4 weeks. We only have a small budget and was looking to do a tour for £600 which was only 13 days around vietnam and cambodia. I would like to do more if possible... I am 23 and my friend is 26 both female..we have been told by some people it is too dangerous to travel around by our self so they have adviced to go with a tour compnay. Is this correct? Will be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,848 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/11/2010 at 00:01

Fun, unusual things to do in SE Asia!!??

Posted by stinny on 3/10/2006 at 02:10

Hi everyone.... I'm trying to plan my trip to SE Asia for January-April 2007. I'm going to the following countries. -Thailand -Philippines -Cambodia -Vietnam -Laos -Burma -Southern China Basically, I was wondering if anyone knows about unusual, fun things to do in these countries..... For example- Philippines- I'm going to dive with the whale sharks, thailand- ride elephants, and in Cambodia, hopefully I get to shoot a rocket launcher :) I've done other cool things on previous trips, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,013 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by goonistik on 9/11/2010 at 11:40

Discount airlines for flights around SE Asia

Posted by jordan on 4/11/2010 at 07:56

Hi all, I am planning a trip to South East Asia in December. I am thinking to fly roundtrip to Bangkok (from Los Angeles), but want to spend my time divided between Thailand and Vietnam (possibly stopping in Laos or Cambodia for a couple of days on route). I will have a little under a month, so want to expedite the trip with a few flights around the region. So far I have looked at Air Asia, but am having trouble comparison shopping on local flights. What airlines should I look at, and are ther ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,020 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by jeremyisaaclee on 8/11/2010 at 03:12

Itinerary / Budget Advice

Posted by ChrisJenko on 6/11/2010 at 20:35

Looking to Fly from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh City on the Thur 27th January 2011 to start my trip. Looking for advice on itinerary, budget and activities not to miss. Will be starting in Vietnam for ~ 40 days - Late Jan - Early March South to North along the usual Farang Trail, Ha Long bay tour ect Laos for ~ 30 days - Early March - Early April Temples, Hill Tribe tours ect Cambodia for ~ 30 days Early April - Early May Angkor, Siem Reap, PP ect Thailand for ~ 80 days Early May - late July Ele ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,685 times, with no replies.

5 month trip - rough route advice needed !

Posted by nickolt on 28/10/2010 at 11:31

Hello everyone ! My boyfriend and I will be travelling to SE Asia and China this coming January. We have our flight booked into Manila, and out of Hong Kong. Our rough time frame looks like this; China - 5 weeks Phils - 3 Viet - 3 Cam - 2 Laos - 2 Thai - 4 Now, does that look alright in terms of time ? Also, we are trying to figure out a rough route to follow. We don't intend to plan out every step of our trip this far in advance, (except the Phils because that is our first stop) however I w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,533 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by nickolt on 6/11/2010 at 10:12

Quick Pre Planning Questions

Posted by olibigoli on 29/10/2010 at 12:54

Hi All, I am just starting to plan 16 Weeks "Flashpacking" in SEA from FEB-MAY (Inc) Stat of Feb arrive Bangkok 4 Weeks Thailand Heading north (FEB) 2 Weeks Laos (MAR) 4 Weeks Vietnam heading south (MAR/APR) 2 Weeks Cambodia (APR) 3 Weeks Malasia (MAY) 1 Week Singapore (MAY) 1 Week Bali (MAY) (This is a very flexible itinery) Is there any major flaws in the basic outline? Am i heading in the right direction? Am i doing the right counties at the right time to get OK weather? Will i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,816 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 4/11/2010 at 16:52

Independent travel from Cambodia to Vietnam

Posted by JoeMurray on 3/11/2010 at 20:48

Hi all, From the 3rd of July - 23rd of July next year I'll be travelling (as the title suggests) from, Siem Reap, Camodia to, Hanoi, Vietnam, and was just looking for any general travel advice (or specific routes) on any MUST see's along the way or what to definitely avoid, as an 18 year old, and a first time traveller to Asia alone, I want to see as much as I can along the way. Also, is it worth really planning ahead and booking a structured itinerary in the form of hostels/hotels or is it fea ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,670 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 4/11/2010 at 08:31

12th Aug - Land in Singapore ~ 20th September - Fly home from Bangkok ~ Inspire Me Pls :) xx

Posted by Danipop86 on 2/11/2010 at 07:08

Hi guys, I'm really sorry I'm sure you get lots of similar messages asking for itineray ideas for travel in South East Asia, but I'd really appreciate your help! Me and a group of friends are travelling to Johannesburg, South Africa on the 16th July 2011 to commence three weeks of charity work in schools. (We are trainee teachers) Once we have completed three weeks (7th Aug) we are heading down to Cape Town for four days until flying out to Singapore on the 11th Aug to commence travelling. A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,258 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Danipop86 on 2/11/2010 at 07:10

Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated!

Posted by hjbvet on 27/10/2010 at 21:00

Hi This is my first post, and my first time traveling in SE Asia so any advice would be much appreciated. My boyfriend and I are planning on traveling in Cambodia, Laos and Thailand for a month or so, starting just before Christmas. I'm arriving from China and we'll be meeting in Cambodia. Our planned itinerary is: 22nd Dec - Arrive and meet in Siem Reap, Angkor Wat 26th Dec - Pnom Penh 28th Dec - Kratie, irrawaddy dolphins 30th Dec - Cross Cambodia/Laos border (can we get Laos visas on arri ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,669 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by zeejei on 31/10/2010 at 01:05

Sacrafice Vietnam for Peninsular Malaysia???

Posted by IrishStu on 18/9/2010 at 01:11

Hi, My clueless self and my clueless girlfriend are in the process of trying to plan our s/e asia trip (7-8 weeks during feb and march), and need some advice and a few, well alot of questions answered. Here's our vague itinerary, with my many questions in brackets. #Bangkok, four days. #Flight to Luang Prabang (is this expensive? i looked online and it seems so, can this be arranged for cheaper wen you get there?). #Northern Laos for about 2-2.5 weeks. #Travel to Siem Reap (is a flight nece ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,930 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 30/10/2010 at 19:21

20 days Laos & Cambodia (in & out of BKK)

Posted by annabellewalker on 29/10/2010 at 07:54

Hi everyone, My partner and I are heading over to Bangkok in Jan, but we are just using this as a launching pad for 20 days in Laos & Cambodia. We want to see Luang Prabang (Kuang Si), Vang Vieng (no opinions please, love it or hate it we want to see it for ourselves), ride a nori and visit Angkor Wat. Just wondering if anyone has done a similar trip and how they managed to get between all the places. How should we get in and out of Bangkok...and what is easier, Cambodia up to Laos o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,585 times, with no replies.

Asia from Februaryish - need itinerary advice

Posted by Abskii on 26/10/2010 at 21:22

Hello! I've been slowly looking through the forums but can't find anything that fully answers what I need to ask. I'm planning to head out to Asia in about February, with no solid itinerary but for visa and budget reasons I want to put together a loose plan. Hoping to take in : China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India (I have some contacts in India so want to get there last). I'm open to other places too My question is : Any recommendations for what o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,864 times, with no replies.

SE Asia rough itinerary

Posted by aimbat19 on 28/9/2010 at 09:02

Hi, im planning a 2 month trip to SE Asia and just looking to get a few pointers. Gerneral Plan: Bangkok-> northern thailand -> laos -> cambodia -> southern thailand -> malaysia question 1: does this seem to be the best route for this kind of intin.? Time distribution: 2 weeks northern thai, 2 weeks laos, 1 week cambodia, 2 weeks southern thai, week malaysia question 2: even though this is a very rough time scale, im curious whats the best way to travel around t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,855 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 26/10/2010 at 20:55

From China to Thailand

Posted by Ignas on 19/10/2010 at 19:00

I need your small advice... Now I am staying in Yunnan province of China and Soon I want to go out of here to Thailand visiting Laos and Vietnam but NOT Cambodia. So can someone give advice on ruff sketch of route. Is it better to start with Laos or Vietnam? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,429 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 22/10/2010 at 19:25

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page