Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Souther Vietnam or Laos?

Posted by kerenren on 2/6/2010 at 00:59

My husband and I are going arriving in Bangkok on July 26 2010 and leaving from Hanoi on Aug 18 (a little over 3-weeks). We are planning on spending around 10 days on the Thai Islands (probably phi phi and pagnan). From the islands, I don't know if we should go: Chiang Mai to Laos to Hanoi OR Saigon to Hoi An to Pho Quoc islands and the up to Hanoi Any ideas?!?!?! We don't want to feel very rushed but we do want to experience different places. We will mostly be flying to save time. T ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,064 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 3/6/2010 at 07:03

Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia

Posted by woodstock8 on 26/5/2010 at 23:40

Hi everyone, Sorry, yet another itinerary to check please . I'm travelling to SE Asia for the first time in Nov/Dec this year with a friend and have struggled to fit things in to 6.5 weeks as there's so much I want to see! Definitely want to see a few temples, do some trekking, try out some cooking and like lots of beach time too! I have tried to appreciate travelling times/distances. Bangkok (1 night) Sukhothai (2 nights) Chiang Mai (4 nights, inc hill trek) Travel from Chiang Mai - Luang P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,227 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 1/6/2010 at 10:01

Thailand to Cambodia Help!!! Please!!!

Posted by dreiman on 24/5/2010 at 20:49

Dear Forum, On June 21st of this year, my girlfriend and I would like to travel from Ko Samui , Thailand to Phnom Penh, Cambodia (or Angkor). However, given the recent developments in Bangkok, we are quite nervous to travel through Bangkok on the way to Cambodia. Is there any way to get to Cambodia from Ko Samui avoiding Bankok? Thank you so much for any help you can offer! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,072 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by hamilove on 1/6/2010 at 07:09

Traveling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and Houei Xai (Laos)

Posted by Russian on 1/6/2010 at 02:51

Good-day, Please help me sort my itinerary out. How would I go about catching a bus from Chiang Mai across the border to Houei Xai? My final destination is the Gibbon Reserve development in Laos. What bus terminal will I need to go to in Chiang Mai? According to my map, there are at least 2 bus terminals: Chang Phueak and Arcade. What bus should I catch? Will I need to buy tickets in advance? Is there a bus schedule somewhere online? Thank you very much! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,622 times, with no replies.

Starting SE Asia travel September/October, advice needed please..

Posted by Steve81 on 26/5/2010 at 03:22

Hi, just after a bit of advice if possible.. I've recently had to change my travel plans (redundancy), and will now be heading to South East Asia in September rather than November as I had oiginally planned. I plan to spend about 8 - 10 months exploring as much as possible (but not too quickly) and I'm not really bothered about going back on myself a bit etc. I've heard (perhaps incorrectly!) that september and Ocotober are not great months for SE Asia due to the rain, including the Southern Th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,972 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Mexicano31 on 27/5/2010 at 05:19

safety today in

Posted by Patrickx8 on 17/5/2010 at 08:03

Safety today in Thailand Still safe at Bangkok airport? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,679 times, with no replies.

Itinerary review - Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia

Posted by wanderlust2010 on 17/5/2010 at 05:03

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to SE Asia in June/July and am having a real problem deciding where to go! I thought I had it all sorted, but have now completely rearranged my plans - mostly to avoid Bangkok. I'm leaving my job in June and have exactly 5 weeks to travel - first 2 weeks solo and the rest of the trip with a friend. Would you mind providing some feedback on the itinerary below? 23-Jun Arrive in Singapore (late) 24-Jun Singapore - Ko Samui 25-Jun Ko Samui - Ko Pha Ngan 26-Jun Ko Pha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,722 times, with no replies.

Staying Dry- Rain Jacket? Poncho?

Posted by AdamZee on 16/5/2010 at 02:09

I am having the hardest time deciding what would be the best option as far as staying dry in the rain. I prefer jackets over ponchos but I am worried about the heat and "muggyness" while in eastern thailand, cambodia, and vietnam during the end of June through to August. I want to get opinions since I am having trouble finding what everyone likes. I have seen a couple rain shells from REI and Arcteryx, one Gore-tex and the eVent waterproof liners. Just not sure if it is worth 200-30 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,558 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by AdamZee on 17/5/2010 at 03:51

Help! 4 week itinerary: thailand-vietnam-loas

Posted by kerenren on 11/5/2010 at 23:09

My husband and I are taking a 4 week honeymoon to Southeast Asia mid July-mid August. The travel books make everything sounds amazing and I just can't seem to choose where to go and what to do! We're flying into Bangkok, then want to go north (chiang mai area) then to Laos and Vietnam and end up in the Thai beaches (were thinking about ko pagnan and ko phi phi). We want experience the culture, trekking, wandering and lots of chilling. What are good places to visit in Northern Thailan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,135 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/5/2010 at 17:14

4 weeks in vietnam/laos/cambodia

Posted by daz on 11/5/2010 at 17:29

Hi guys, i just signed up to the site and i must say im quite impressed by the helpfulness of the members here! makes me even more excited for my trip in Nov-Dec 2010. There are 2 of us travelling, arriving and departing from Ho Chi Minh. we are in our early 20s and are interested in seeing cu chi tunnels, vang vieng (anywhere else you guys might suggest..). We plan on travelling by train (plane possibly) from saigon to hanoi, through to laos and down into cambodia. I know there isnt ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,565 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 11/5/2010 at 18:58

Here we go again! 7-8wks Sept-Oct Thailand/Laos/Cambodia

Posted by bails87 on 6/5/2010 at 18:47

I know it's been done a million times before, but hey ho. So here's my plan for a 7-8 week trip from early September to late October: Fly into Bangkok - Not long here, just a day or 2 while I sort the train for the next leg. -Travel to Ko Tao -Diving on Ko Tao (4 day course, so maybe a week here) -Travel to Ko Pha Ngan - hopefully catch a party full/half/dark moon, don't really mind -Back to mainland -Kanchanaburi -Chiang Mai -Pai (maybe) -Chiang Rai (maybe) -C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,247 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by bails87 on 10/5/2010 at 21:20

Vietnam OR Cambodia??

Posted by andrea13 on 7/5/2010 at 15:27

Hi guys! I'm planning on doing the usual Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia route. I really cant decide whether to spend longer in Vietnam or Cambodia though? I want to see Angkor Wat but im also keen to avoid tourists (obviously impossible there) and to visit some lesser known sites. Can anyone reccomend one country over the other? Or where to spend more time? Thanks so much, this website is actually brilliant! x ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,107 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by andrea13 on 10/5/2010 at 01:35

4 weeks Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Posted by babiguling on 13/4/2010 at 08:13

Hi I'm going to be in SE Asia for about a month. I'm flying in to Hanoi and then out of Saigon. I wanted to know if a month is sufficient time to go from Vietnam to Laos, then Thailand, then Cambodia, then back into Vietnam to fly out of Saigon. The main attracitons I want to see are Halong Bay for a couple days, Luang Prabang, Bangkok, Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, and then Saigon. Is a month sufficient time to do this overland or will I most likely be traveling every other day? Any sugges ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,303 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by JavaJunkie on 4/5/2010 at 10:04

Itinerary Advice

Posted by Vangrrl79 on 2/5/2010 at 07:39

Solo Travel gal here looking for your ideas! After spending 5 weeks in Southern Africa and 5 weeks in Thailand I am moving on to the rest of the region and want your input on my itinerary. As much as it looks over planned its just an outline and really more for me the factor in travel times then destination stays and I'm planning on going with the flow and seeing what happens ... Comments, ideas, suggestions PLEASE! Aug 19: Depart Bangkok for Ayutthaya , Thailand Aug 20: Ayuttha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,806 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Vangrrl79 on 4/5/2010 at 09:45

Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice?

Posted by o_kaija on 2/5/2010 at 06:02

We have a rough itinerary for a 2 month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Hanoi - Nihn Bihn - Halong City - Cat Ba Island - Bac Ha - Sapa - Dien Bien Phu - Phongsali - Udomxai - Luang Nam Tha - Luang Prabang - Phonsavan - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Siem Reap - Battambang - Phnom Penh - kampot - Ha Tien - Phu Quoc Island - Rach Gia - Vinh Long - Ho chi Minh City Would it be easier to travel to Cat Ba ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,667 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travelhungryboy on 4/5/2010 at 03:45

10 weeks in SE Asia - itinerary help

Posted by purplek on 3/5/2010 at 08:03

Hey, I'm flying out to BKK on the 9th July, wnating to do the loop round Laos, vietnam nad cambodia before retunring to BKK to fly out on the 15th September. I'm mostly looking at sightseeing, different cultures, adventure etc (not so bothered about sitting on beaches or going out getting drunk every night) So far I'm loosely looking at: Arrive BKK for a couple of nights to aclimatise overnight train north to Chiang mai (spend about a week here/around this area) overland to Laos for a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,217 times, with no replies.

Luang Prabang to Da Nang via Hanoi in 1 day!

Posted by t0uchable on 27/4/2010 at 20:43

Hi, I'm looking for the best transport option from LP- Da Nang . Since we are short on time we decided to skip Hanoi in favour of Cambodia and Central-South Vietnam. Now my question is; what is the best way to get from Luang Prabang in the afternoon to Da Nang the same day or the day after. There are 2 options: - Fly with Vietnamair to Hanoi (arrival 15u35) and take another flight with vietnamair to Da Nang (departure 16:30 or 19:10) - Fly to Hanoi (same flight) and take the nigh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,781 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by t0uchable on 29/4/2010 at 18:12

Travel advice for Cambodia, Vietnam & Bali

Posted by AllyBrighton on 28/4/2010 at 21:37

I am flying out to Thailand in early December and basing myself in Ko Lanta and the southern islands for the first six weeks (to unwind!) In mid-January I am flying to KL, spoending a few nights there, and then onto Hanoi. I really want advice on what not to miss in Vietnam and Cambodia, and how long I should allow to travel through both countries (preferably over land). I then want to fly onto Bali for a week (probably from Siem Reap via KL)before returning to Ko Lanta some time in late ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,453 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by AllyBrighton on 28/4/2010 at 22:20

Trading in SE Asia

Posted by erikmaez on 28/4/2010 at 03:29

I have heard a bit about bringing certain items to trade/barter with while in SE asia but I dont know what those items are... Has anyone had success with trading items or are there anythings that you would recommend that I take to trade with?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,593 times, with no replies.

Confused where to go for Honeymoon in 1st week of July

Posted by sharadtewari on 23/4/2010 at 16:21

Hi everyone, I am new to travelfish & foudn this place helpful. Needed some advice. I am getting married on 19th Jun, 10. Am looking for a beautiful,calm beach destination in South East Asia for around 7-10 days & have a budget of INR 70,000 including travel from Mumbai.Hope to get some useful tips & advices on the same. Sharad ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,043 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 26/4/2010 at 23:27

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page