Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

First Backpacking Adventure in ASIA

Posted by BabyRubes on 11/3/2010 at 02:31

My friend and I are planning a 2 month trip, backpacking Asia beginning with the Philippines. Trying to figure out where to start planning is beginning to be far more difficult that I thought. How much I should leave Toronto with? Do I need to figure out where I'm going and get my visas done ahead of time? And I would like to know about ANY hidden places you guys know about too. We are trying to stay away from huge cities with a few exceptions. I think Malaysia, Myramar, bangkok, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,265 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 14/3/2010 at 19:47

Ko Chang, Sihanoukville or Phu Quoc?

Posted by westmountgeo on 10/3/2010 at 22:51

Looking for recommendations on which of Ko Chang, Sihanoukville and Phu Quoc is the best place to spend a couple days. Going to be travelling for 3 months in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos and want to spend a little beach time after Angkor Wat and before the trek up Vietnam. Starting out in Bangkok, then moving through Cambodia into Vietnam, will be travelling between April to June. Looking for some relaxing island/beach time with cheap accomodations. Which place did you li ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,412 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 11/3/2010 at 14:15

Family accommodation

Posted by deborahkytic on 7/3/2010 at 11:01

We are a family of 5 - two adults and three small children. Does anyone have recommendations of good places to stay that don't cost a fortune because you are forced to get ajoining rooms. In Europe it is is easy with lots of small apartment hotels which can easily accommodate five - what is the Asian equivilant? Seems most places insist on at least two rooms and no self contained faciltiies - we don't want kids club resorts but authentic places where our whole family is welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,728 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/3/2010 at 10:38

A little expert help on Itinerary through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam

Posted by Firefly07 on 1/3/2010 at 17:49

My boyfriend and I are just finalising our travel plans. We fly into KL at the end of March, Traveling up north through Thailand. We then plan to Cross into Laos through Chiang Khong and get the slow boat down the river (obviously dependant on if the boats are running Mid to late April!). We will propably head down to Vientiane and from here I'm quite keen heading down to the Konglor Caves. What we cant decide on is where to go from here and where i was hoping you guys could advise? Origi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,539 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by gingermark on 3/3/2010 at 10:49

Book exchange for charity?

Posted by blackpepper14 on 21/12/2009 at 08:36

I posted in the Cambodia Forum so sorry for the double post. I am looking for information on a group/organization that runs (a shop?)where people exchange books and give a donation for charity. I thought it was called One For One? I may be wrong and I'm not sure which country it is in? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,907 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by blackpepper14 on 1/3/2010 at 17:42

Planning stage - please help with a few questions

Posted by joanne1981 on 10/12/2009 at 04:50

Hi, I have been using the site lots over the last couple of months and found all the information so valuable in helping me to plan my trip next year. I was originally planning a 3 month trip but due to circumstances I can now only go for 4 weeks. I know the general rule is to not try and cram too much in and to enjoy a place and I have tried to do that as best as I can. I have already compromised Thailand and Malaysia so I really hope what I have planned is possible. If anyone can give me ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,959 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by joanne1981 on 28/2/2010 at 23:48

Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam)

Posted by snowowl on 22/2/2010 at 20:38

Hi, I'm (26 year old girl) flying from Tokyo to South East Asia the 16th of March. The idea was to fly directly from Tokyo to Bangkok and start the trip there. I have from the 16th of March until approximetaly the 19th of April (almost 5 weeks). I have been looking at a lot of itineraries and I am so confused. I would love to be able to go to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (and possibly Vietnam) but the problem is that I only have 5 weeks and I have to choose the places carefully, because I don’t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,638 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by tinoh on 26/2/2010 at 14:40

Discovery Airpass in December

Posted by joanne1981 on 23/2/2010 at 03:28

Hi, I have read lots of information on the Discovery Airpass and I think it would suit my travel needs best but what i don't understand is if I can use my coupons for separate flights. For example I want to fly BKK-HAN, HAN-Luang Prabang and Vientiane-Siem Reap. When I have checked the airline websites, it looks like you have to leave from the destination you fly into but we want to do some of the trip overland. We are also travelling throughout the month of December which is obviously a bus ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,974 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by swag on 25/2/2010 at 11:52

3.5 months...how much money will i need?

Posted by JessicaBenson3 on 23/2/2010 at 07:05

My boyfriend and i are traveling from bangkok around southeast asia from September 1st-December 21st. Im trying to figure out approximatly how much money we will each need. We dont mind lodging being fairly cheap, we may fly if necessary but will most likely travel by land or boat as much as possible. We both like to drink and party a bit...just have some fun. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! Thank you so much! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,034 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 24/2/2010 at 02:03

10-Day Honeymoon in December: Laos or Vietnam?

Posted by glomer on 23/2/2010 at 12:27

Apologies for the stock question--I've reviewed the sample itineraries, searched the forum, and would still appreciate some individual guidance. We're planning a long-delayed 10-day honeymoon for December and are struggling to decide between Laos and Vietnam (flying into Hanoi). We don't want to be spread too thin; interests include art, temples, food, street life. We've traveled in insular SEA, where my family is from, but never on the mainland. Any advice would be much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,148 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by glomer on 23/2/2010 at 13:58

Items to bring vs. buy while in SEA

Posted by erikmaez on 22/2/2010 at 04:10

I am going to thailand, laos, cambodia, and vietnam(in that order) for 2 months this summer. So I have a 70 liter backpack... I have already bought rainpants, quick drying underwear, a few shirts, a watch, sunglasses, and a water purification system. I want to buy a nice rain jacket and some durable hiking shoes as well as some quick trying socks but I am curious if anyone thinks that I can find these items cheaper or better quality if I wait to buy them when I arrive in bangkok?? What about oth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,745 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by traveltheworld on 22/2/2010 at 22:43

How many can stay in bungalow?

Posted by incubusftw on 20/2/2010 at 08:07

Hi :) After using this website for months to plan for my first trip outside Europe *gulp* I still don't know what it means on here when it just says "bungalow". i.e does it have single beds or doubles generally? Also, if it is big enough for two, and two stay in it do you pay double the price quoted on here? Thanks in advance, Mike. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,684 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 21/2/2010 at 20:38

Ideas for a beach stop-off on way back fromTokyo

Posted by quinlad on 18/2/2010 at 00:13

Hello, I'm going on honeymoon at the very beginning of September. We're planning to spend a few days in Tokyo and then head to somewhere for a week of idyllic beach holidaying before heading back to the UK. We've no idea how to plan this, or where to go at that time of year? Does anyone have any advice/suggestions? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,474 times, with no replies.

Koh Chang, Laos & Cambodia - 25 days

Posted by AcesElky on 15/2/2010 at 22:45

Hi Myself, my girlfriend and 2 other couples are looking to head to the above places over Xmas. We will leave the UK on December 15th and fly back on January 9th. We would like to visit all 3 places ideally. We have already been to Thailand 3 times and checked out many islands etc. We are all around 30 Main things we are looking for... We like to party so would want somewhere popular. Things like Tubing down the Mekong river appeal We like to chill out after partying! Would like to t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,924 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by francesstella on 15/2/2010 at 23:45

3 months in Indochina and Malaysia

Posted by smudge86 on 15/2/2010 at 23:13

Hi All Me and a friend are off on a 3 month trip around Indochina and Malaysia. We fly to bangkok on the 18th March and return from Singapore on the 14th of June. We are 23 and 22 years old, and want to get a lot out of the trip both experience wise and culturally. Budget wise we are being fairly tight and are'nt afraid of slumming it a bit. In terms of a route, we are thinking anti-clockwise around Indochina: - Bangkok to Siem Reap (Angkor) - Siem Reap to Phnom Penh - PP to HCM - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,186 times, with no replies.

Cambodia and Thailand in 2 weeks...

Posted by Tracey11 on 13/2/2010 at 21:51

Hi, I have just come back from a 5 week backpacking tour of the East Coast of Australia at 35yrs old and I've got the bug!!! Only trouble is I only have just over 2 weeks holiday left this year and I want to see Thailand and Cambodia in this time - is it possible??? Someone I met said they did it spending 6 days in Cambodia and the rest in Thailand probably August time...having never been to Asia I would really welcome your comments/suggestions Thanks :-) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,230 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by boxee on 14/2/2010 at 14:18

Getting from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai

Posted by Echo10 on 22/1/2010 at 12:39

Hi all, My partner and I will be in luang prabang in mid april for about 4-5 days before heading to chiang mai. My question is..we've heard some fairly dodgy reports about flying laotian air and so thought we'd go overland. Are there any suggestions for how we go about getting to chiang mai? I have heard of being able to take a longboat down the mekong..but not sure at which border point the boats stop at. Also how long should we allow for this trip overland? Thanks very much for anybody's he ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,282 times, with no replies.

Malaria Tablets, should I buy them in Asia?

Posted by HenriPaul on 20/1/2010 at 07:28

Maleria Tablets. Should I buy them when in Thailand? Hi, My friend and I are going to Bangkok in late Feb then over 3 months visiting Cambodia, Vietnam (South to North) into Laos and back down through Thailand. Thing is we're not sure what we're doing and do hope to get on some treks into the country so have decided we should take Maleria tablets but wondered if they are easily availble when we get to Bangkok and are they cheaper there? For the Malarone ones which are the most exspensive it's ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,383 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by chriswotton on 22/1/2010 at 02:51

Oil painter/artist going to SE asia - Equipment Questions

Posted by stovetopchicago on 30/12/2009 at 09:37

Oil painter/artist going to SE asia - Equipment Questions I am taking a four month trip to Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. My goal is tourism and to make on location oil paintings. So I take a significant amount of art supplies and a small portable easel that end up in my ratty old backpack which probably weighs 15 to 20 KG. I've done this in Europe and Central America. It sucks to lug around that stuff until I am blissfully set up somewhere sketching away. So my other stuff, 3 days change of cl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,447 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rowankat on 19/1/2010 at 18:35

Singapore to Hanoi in 35 days advice..

Posted by hamilove on 28/12/2009 at 18:03

Hi everyone, yet another traveler asking for advice on our itinerary. Basically we are arriving in singapore on the 9th of May and flying out on the 16th of June. Me and my partner arent really after the party scene we are more into nature and wildlife so if anyone has any suggestions along our journey would be great. We have been to bangkok and Phuket before so they are being disregarded on this trip. Anyway below is our first draft itinerary: 9 May - arrive Singapore 9-11 May Sing ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,864 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by hamilove on 18/1/2010 at 11:43

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page