Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Ho Hum another itinerary to evaluate

Posted by KazAussie on 6/8/2009 at 16:03

Okay we have nearly a month. Two adults late 40's travelling with their 20 year old son. Thanks to a lot of advice on this board this is the plan: Date Where Overnight Saturday, 12 December 2009 Fly Sydney to Ho Chi Minh Arrive 8:35 pm Ho Chi Minh Sunday, 13 December 2009 Ho Chi Minh Ho Chi Minh Monday, 14 December 2009 Ho Chi Minh Chui tunnels Ho Chi Minh Tuesday, 15 December 2009 Ho Chi Minh Ho Chi Minh Wednesday, 16 December 2009 Meekong Thursday, 17 December 2009 Meekong Frida ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,398 times, with 21 replies. Last reply by swatral on 25/10/2009 at 18:43

Hong Kong to Laos over chinese new year any ideas where to go.

Posted by byrochap on 23/10/2009 at 10:49

My boyfriend and i are travelling back from a year in New Zealand in Feb,our flight goes through HongKong, and we are thinking we are not too keen on going straight home so thought we would travel overland down to Thailand to meet friends. We have been to Thailand a couple of time before but have no idea about getting from Hong Kong to Laos so wondered if any body had any advice? we are travelling on a budget so not looking for pricy places but would really like to see the cultural side of china ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,165 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by byrochap on 25/10/2009 at 04:47

5 week itinerary - any advice appreciated!

Posted by jemsta7 on 24/10/2009 at 11:25

hello, i'd be really grateful if anyone could tell me whether they think this itinerary is optimistic. We will land in saigon and fly out of Luang Prabang - and have 5 weeks to spend. My partner has never travelled before. We plan to head to the beach at Mui Ne so she can chill for a bit and then back to Saigon. From there we will: get the bus to chau doc then boat to Phnom Penh . Then bus to Siem Reap. Then back to Phnom Penh and go overland to Laos. We will catch public transport/min ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,673 times, with no replies.

Itinerary for 4 months in SEA. Feedback and suggestions wanted.

Posted by janime on 19/10/2009 at 18:49

Hi everyone! This is my first longer trip and I´m looking for feedback and suggestions/recommendations for my itinerary in SEA trip next JAN-MAY. This board has been very helpful for planning my trip and I have found a lot of answers to my questions but I still hope to have some info from more experienced backpackers. Here is a preliminary plan for my route: View Southeast Asia tour in a larger map Map embedded by admin I´m flying with my friends from Tampere, Finland to Lon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,384 times, with 21 replies. Last reply by janime on 22/10/2009 at 18:35

6 weeks in SE Asia - Itinerary advice for a rookie plse :-)

Posted by simons104 on 21/10/2009 at 03:57

Hello everyone! I’ve been reading through lots of posts here recently and you guys have already been a great help – thanks a lot for that! I’ve been trying to put together an itinerary for my trip to South East Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia). As it’s my first backpacking trip ever, I would greatly appreciate any comments and "expert" advice. I’ll be in SE Asia for 42 days, before heading to Oz, starting in Bangkok on November 1st at 4pm and ending in Bangkok on ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,310 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by simons104 on 21/10/2009 at 21:46

where next??

Posted by christay2009 on 16/10/2009 at 10:19

So far i've spent 30 days in China, 30 days in Laos and i am heading to Malaysia for about 2 weeks-ish on the 27th of this month. After that i'd say i've got about three weeks of cash left but i am unsure of where to head next?? I think Indonesia would be interesting but know nothing about it and also i am unsure how i'd deal with money there. I think i read no ATM's and at the moment i have some travellers cheques but would need to use an ATM or bank to withdraw cash using my visa Any t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,146 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 20/10/2009 at 13:25

35 days itinerary (Viet/Camb/Laos) - backpacking rookie asks for help :-)

Posted by summerrain on 21/7/2009 at 18:12

Hallo everybody! I’ve been reading through quite a few posts in here and you guys have already been of immense help for me – thanks a lot for that! I’ve been trying to put together a tentative itinerary for my trip to Indochina (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos). As it’s my first backpacking trip ever, I would greatly appreciate any comments and "expert" advice. I’ve got exactly 35 days, starting in Hanoi on August 3 at 8:30 am and ending in Bangkok on the 5th of September (have to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,350 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 20/10/2009 at 11:54

Hilltribes?

Posted by MADMAC on 17/10/2009 at 21:05

Why is it that whenever anyone talks about ethnic groups outside the main they are always referred to as "hilltribes"? Even when they don't reside on hills? I never liked the word tribe as a descriptor for ethnic groups anyway. Nobody calls the Serbs a "Tribe", they're an ethnic group. Don't we have any "Plains Tribes" in SEA? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,863 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 18/10/2009 at 01:30

Bangkok to Hanoi or Vice Versa,?

Posted by Marlbs on 24/8/2009 at 19:06

I arrive in Bangkok at the begining of October and have 10 weeks before flying back out from there home. I want to go to Nth Thailand, down through Laos and Cambodia and up through Vietnam to Hanoi then fly back to Bangkok. I'm not sure whether to do the above route or do it in reverse starting with the flight to Hanoi. Does it really make any difference and is there any advantage one direction has over the other? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,064 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Marlbs on 15/10/2009 at 14:02

1 month in SEA- Itinerary advice please! :)

Posted by Karlap on 8/10/2009 at 22:06

Hello all! I am planning a trip to SEA in the beginning of March. I have 1 month (with my friends) and have to make the plans! I have read so much information on here and its been so helpful. At first I was trying to go to Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Laos all in 1 month! I understand now that is not a mart move! So here's 2 ideas I have come up with and any advice, critiques, or any mumbo jumbo will be greatly appreciated! (Please keep in mind that these are VERY rough drafts- all ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,110 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Karlap on 14/10/2009 at 14:41

Best way to travel by land from Bangkok,Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia?

Posted by cij on 11/10/2009 at 01:23

For our 4 weeks of our holiday we want to travel from Thailand to Laos,Cambodia and Malaysia I know we wont have a lot of time in each place but was wondering if anyone knew the best route to take by land aside from airflight to each place? And travel time scales from each place to another? if anyone has any info they could share, that would be very much appreciated. thanks, cij ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,497 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 13/10/2009 at 23:03

Still learning- Help with SE asia trip

Posted by Karlap on 6/10/2009 at 18:16

Hello all! I am planning a trip to SE asia in March. I first plan on going to Vietnam for about 2 weeks. Afterwards, I want to see Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore (possibly Cambodia). I will have 4 friends flying to meet me who really want to see Thailand and as much else as they can. They will only be here for 1 month. I will be here longer- not too many time restraints- about 1 1/2-2 months. I would appreciate any help with paths to take to optimize our time and tips on the bes ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,819 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 11/10/2009 at 18:09

Serious itinerary help needed please... :-P

Posted by think87 on 30/9/2009 at 06:48

Really apprecaite any advice that can be given here. I did my best to give you guys something to work with since I dont want to plan to much. Leave November 5th and return April 1st Ok so I threw up a rough itinerary that is widely open to suggestions and adjustments. November 6 – 8 Bangkok 9 – 11 Ayutthaya 12 – 21 Need Suggestions. Want to make 2 -3 stops following the train north until Chiang Mai 22 Bangkok 23 – 29 Kanchanaburi for river kwai festival and Sangkhl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,819 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 11/10/2009 at 07:13

2 - 3 month adventure - Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia!

Posted by rachel0621 on 19/8/2009 at 10:20

Hi! Friends and I are doing a 2 - 3 moth trip to south-east asia in November. We plan to fly into Phuket on the 1st Nov and then make the journey by bus/boat to Koh Phangan for the Nov full moon party. We want to travel by land up to Laos straight after the party and spend a few weeks in Laos tubing :) and possibly find some work! We then plan to travel by land to Vietnam where we will meet friends on the 18th Dec and spend a couple of days exploring. If we have enough time we hope to m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,399 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by rachel0621 on 7/10/2009 at 10:23

leaving in a week- looking for feedback on final routing!

Posted by Seba on 7/10/2009 at 00:00

Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback on my final trip details fro my 2-month SE-Asia adventure...all feedback appreciated! October 16-18: Bangkok 19: take early train to Ayutthaya, and spend the night there 20: Lopburi during the day, then take overnight train to Chiang Mai 21-22: Chiang Mai and surroundings (Doi Suthep, rafting, elephants,...) 23-25: 3day/2night trekking to local villages 26: take bus to Chiang Kong, cross border to Huay Xai , check in with Gibbon Experience ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,109 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/10/2009 at 07:16

flying Vientiane-Kualu Lumpur-HCMC for budget reasons-via needed?

Posted by Seba on 5/10/2009 at 02:43

Hi guys, I'm looking into the option of flying with Air Asia from Vientiane to Kuala Lumpur and then directly to HCMC the same day. Logistically maybe quite strange, but much cheaper than flying with Vietnam Airlines directly from Vientiane to HCMC (=about 2x as expensive). Now my quesiton is: would I need any visum to do this transfer? And would it be ok luggage wise? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,253 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 5/10/2009 at 03:31

I am in Koh Phangan now, it rains. Where to spend next 2 months?

Posted by vladix on 2/10/2009 at 02:37

I have plenty of time. But not plenty of money. My initial plan was to move slowly through Malaysia to Indonesia. Did not take wet seasons into consideration... Is it good idea (weather wise) to go to Laos and Vietnam now? Or somewhere else? I would not mind coming back to this island afterwards and spend here half-a-year before proceeding with my original plan. Partying and sightseeing are not really for me. I am looking for tranquillity, nature, seaside (didn't get enough of it yet). ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,218 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by newarrior on 4/10/2009 at 21:35

Udon Thani to Ubon Ratchathani by bus

Posted by davina1947 on 19/9/2009 at 03:52

We will be in Udon Thani in March 2010 we want to travel to Ubon by bus, is there a bus straight through or do we have to change somewhere. Also can we get a train from Ubon to Chiang Mai? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,805 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by neosho on 2/10/2009 at 08:30

2 months in SÊ-Asia - feedback on trip details much appreciated!

Posted by Seba on 30/9/2009 at 03:40

Hi guys, I'm leaving with my gf (we're both 23) to Se-Asia on the 15th of October for a big graduation trip. By reading tons on this forum and information from friends I have finally come up with a detailed route. Feed-back much appreciated: October: 16-18: Bangkok 19: fly to Surat Thani and check in at Khao Sok national park 20-21: Khao Sok. In the evening head for Khao Lak and spend the night there 22: early boat for a daytrip to the Similan Islands. Spend evening again in Khao L ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,946 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Seba on 2/10/2009 at 06:01

Vietnam or cambodia......

Posted by think87 on 29/9/2009 at 10:24

My long awaited 5 month trip is coming next month and although i'm not planning much and kind of just winging it as to an itinerary as i might want to stay in one place longer than planned etc, i do want to have a rough idea of how long in each country. I'm doing about a 5 weeks in Thailand, 6 weeks in Laos , 4 weeks in Malaysia and 1 week in Singapore. Vietnam and cambodia are left to fill the remaining time however im not sure whether to put it towards one or the othere, both, or neither ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,856 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by think87 on 30/9/2009 at 07:33

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page