Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Chiang Mai or Halong Bay ?!

Posted by Line on 11/2/2009 at 17:19

Im so lucky i'll be in SE asia july and august this year. im going on a guided trip with intrepid in Cambodia - anyone heard about the "heart of cambodia" tour or intrepid in generel? when the tour ends in Phnom Penh ive got 3 weeks, and is defiently going to Laos.. but what should i do when i get to Luang Prabang - go with the slowboat to thailand and visit Chiang Mai and return home from Bangkok - or make my way to Halong Bay in Vietnam? (before cambodia i'll be in southvietn ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,384 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Line on 18/2/2009 at 13:55

advice on miri and brunie???

Posted by robk on 17/2/2009 at 23:26

hi im landing in KL in two weeks for a few days and im thinking of visiting brunie or miri for 2 weeks before i travel cambodia and vietnam. i would appreciate any advice and information on things to do and the cost of accomodation,food and drink because im on a strict budget??? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,439 times, with no replies.

Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand 4 weeks HELP!!

Posted by charlotte1208 on 11/2/2009 at 10:02

Hi Guys, Im hoping you can help me with an itineray for the above countries. I have a flight booked to Saigon on 1st March. I have a flight to London out of Bangkok on 1st April so i have 1 month in order to do Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. What id like to know is whats the easiest and quickest way to get from Saigon to Siam Reap? As i have a tight schedule im concentrating on Saigon and Angor Wat. After that, whats the journey like from Siam Reap to Bangkok? I want to spend atlea ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,137 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/2/2009 at 08:24

3-4 days, where should I go?

Posted by Live1284 on 6/2/2009 at 01:02

I am going to Bangkok, then Cambodia to see Angkor for several days. I will then have 3 to 4 days to visit somewhere else before I return home from Tokyo. Looking at Laos vs. Vietnam, leaning towards Laos. Convenience of travel is a big factor, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,260 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Live1284 on 12/2/2009 at 22:43

"Winging it" around Indochina and Thailand

Posted by wtangney on 30/1/2009 at 19:12

Morning all. I've got from now until the end of april to go travelling solo. My plan is to buy a return ticket to Bangkok from London, buy the lonely planet guide - south-east asia on a shoestring, and then just "wing it"! I've got a few ideas of where I want to go exploring in the region but I just want to do things as I go along and not make massive plans. From experience, is this actually a good idea and has anyone got any good tips? Thanks Will ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,402 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Thaiman on 31/1/2009 at 12:21

Where to find direct buses from Bangkok to Chiang Khong???

Posted by quddus on 11/11/2008 at 06:34

Hello, It mentions in one of the guides that there are "nightly direct buses from Bangkok to Chiang Khong" I have several questions: 1)Which bus station in Bangkok? 2)What is the schedule? 3)How much is the bus fare? 4)How long (in hours) is the direct route? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,767 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by wessatong on 31/1/2009 at 10:25

last minute advice. leaving sunday!

Posted by dsojka on 31/1/2009 at 05:49

hello all. our trip came about very quickly, only purchased our flight tickets 2 weeks ago. land and fly out of bangkok feb 2 - feb 28. the initial plan was the southern cambodia vietnam and laos idea - http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/laos-vietnam-cambodia is this actually doable or recommended for 27 days? after reading a ton of travel books rather than things becomeing clearer to me as to an itinerary i found that there are a million places i wanted to go, and now i'm lea ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,376 times, with no replies.

So when is low season?

Posted by kteacher on 29/1/2009 at 22:27

I know this is a bit of a newbie question. But I am planning my trip and am wondering when exactly "low" season is in SE Asia. My guess is that high season is December to February, and low season is any time outside of that. Am i Right? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,158 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by exacto on 30/1/2009 at 21:23

Traveling from northern Laos to Cambodia ?

Posted by tmcderm on 3/1/2009 at 03:25

Hi, Im going to be in Laos in early Feb. 09 and want to continue on to Cambodia without going back into Thailand. Im not planning on traveling through southern Laos due to lack of time. Is flying cheap and safe? Is their such a thing as a flight from northern Laos directly into Cambodia? Im not completely against the idea of traveling by bus but Im have no idea how long that would take and cost? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,977 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by basho on 27/1/2009 at 16:30

5 and a half weeks. How far can you go without being wiped out?

Posted by Tazzfalcon on 3/1/2009 at 04:47

Hi, (Re posted from Thai forum section) to reintroduce myself: Im going to SE Asia for five and a half weeks from mid March to Late April, Now, im really getting into the idea of doing the whole backpacker/independent traveller thing (all be it with my girlfriend). However I 'am keenly aware than some people do SE Asia in 5 months and still complain they haven't had enough time and I don't want to feel like all ive seen is the inside of a bus/train/taxi etc. I should clarify the SE Asia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,542 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 24/1/2009 at 06:41

Where in Indochina and Thailand?

Posted by rjbex on 13/1/2009 at 21:09

Hi all, great forum I'm looking forward to spending some time here! I'm looking for some advice on where to travel in Indochina and Thailand within a certain time and budget limit. I'm planning to travel solo for July and August, maybe a couple of weeks of September. I can have around £2000 GBP for spending and accommodation money. Firstly, is this remotely realistic? I.E... - do I have enough time to cover Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in minimum 8 weeks? - will I have enough d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,210 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by rjbex on 23/1/2009 at 05:10

Which way round?!

Posted by lcreller on 2/1/2009 at 02:58

Hi there, have 7 and a half weeks between getting into Bangkok and flying out of Kuala Lumpur. Will spend say 10 days on a Thai island, so about 5/6 weeks for the following: Trying not to plan how long in each place, just go with the flow but would love your advice on which direction (clockwise/anti-clockwise or a variation!) to go to: 1)Bangkok 2)One of: a) area north of Chiang Mai for trekking b) Chiang Khan/Sangkhom region (any good??) 3)Luang Prabang and inevitably Vang Vi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,025 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 19/1/2009 at 09:12

Cameron Highlands

Posted by dmg on 18/1/2009 at 10:07

Hello, Looking for advice on travel in Cameron highlands regarding: 1) Transportation from KL - is there a scenic route that is best? Or, what is the quickest way to get there? 2) Tours - there seems to be a lot of tour operators and packages. are there particular excursions anyone would highlight as a must do or avoid? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,898 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by dmg on 19/1/2009 at 08:48

Where to travel..help please!!

Posted by russellburton1987 on 8/1/2009 at 12:40

im currently at koh samui, and im travelling down to KL and singapore, but i want to no if there is anywhere i can go in between or before KL, and where the backpacker areas are? also is there any backpacker places or nice islands in malasia....thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,356 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/1/2009 at 11:34

Laos/Vietnam advice wanted! x

Posted by iciclesecret on 24/11/2008 at 03:57

Hello, We're flying into HCMC on 27th December and have three weeks off work but nothing planned so far. I'm concerned that at this time of year that flights will get booked up in advance, and I'm not keen to spend time in travel agents or internet cafes trying to find last minute alternatives, as has happened to us at this time of year in Thailand. 1) Should we book flights in advance? 2) Should we book Halong Bay cruise in advance? Can anyone recommend a small reputable cruiser? 3) S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,426 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by markfromnaplesfl on 1/1/2009 at 21:13

Itinerary almost final: need feedback (please)

Posted by DLuek on 17/12/2008 at 14:21

Greetings, Thanks in no small part to the resource of Travelfish, our trip is almost ready to go. Here's the itinerary: (Time allotted for each place includes the time it takes to get there.) Feb. 2-3: Depart New York, arrive Singapore - Singapore (1 day) - Depart Singapore, Arrive Phuket (1 day) - Island/beaches (where yet to be determined)(3 days) - Kanchanaburi (3 days) - Sangkhla (2 days) - Mae Sot/refugee camps (7 days) - Tak (1 day) - Sukhothai (1 day) - Lampa ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,405 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 30/12/2008 at 19:06

Weather Phillipines

Posted by crisaniaf on 12/12/2008 at 22:04

Can anyone advise if the weather is good or even excellent on the west coast of Phillipines at the end of April and begining of May? Our guidebook suggests the weather is good here from November to April, so we are a bit concerned that we maybe getting there a bit late. We will be diving as well so if anyone has any experiences to share from a similar time of year relating to this we would be very grateful. Any ideas are welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,148 times, with no replies.

Money$$

Posted by TheBronze on 11/12/2008 at 07:55

As posted earlier, I am travelling from Apr.30 to June11 (backpacking) with one other to Thailand (Bangkok), Cambodia(Siem Reap, Phnom Penh), Vietnam (Saigon, Hanoi, Halong Bay), Laos (LP, Vang Vieng, Vientiane) and back to Southern Thailand. We will be travelling for 6weeks total and I was wondering what the best way to bring money down there is, or what is recommended for that timeframe. I was thinking putting it aside in my bank account and stopping at banks for cash advances on my Visa that ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,101 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 11/12/2008 at 17:43

3 months in Thai, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam March 2009

Posted by adamdriver on 29/9/2008 at 19:32

Hey everyone, Me and 2 mates are off to Indochina in March and just wondering if there's any places that we HAVE to see? I'm going to Ang Thong Marine Park and also Ankor Wat for about 3 days. Bar that all suggestions will be helpful. Any help on budgets, flights visas etc will be great. I have been to Thai before but always better to have more advice n opinions. Cheers, Ads ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,454 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by expatudon08 on 28/11/2008 at 18:01

Fishing in SE Asia

Posted by mattocmd on 3/10/2008 at 10:49

Hello, I will be returning to SE Asia in Jan. and Feb. for the third time. I am interested in fishing. I saw that in southern Cambodia and around the Thai islands that you can arrange for chartered fishing trips. Has anyone done this? I am interested in your trip...how much it costed and what you caught. Also photos if possible. My other question is about the freshwater fishing in SE Asia. Has anyone ever brought a little rod along and gone fishing in one of the freshwater rivers? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,779 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by Jon_Mak_Mak on 26/11/2008 at 17:29

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page