Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Aug-Nov? Weatherwise what's the best Itinerary?

Posted by spearmas on 27/2/2008 at 23:18

Hi all, My friend and I are travelling in the region between August and November. I realise that this is generally a pretty wet time, and would welcome any itinerary suggestions, where we won't be totally washed out of it! We have 4 months and want to take in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & Thailand. (Though not necessarily in that order). I have read the extremely helpful travelfish itineraries, but was hoping that someone may have travelled in the region in the same months that we intend to and may ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,849 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by spearmas on 29/2/2008 at 22:19

Could you please have a look at my 23 day singapore/malaysia itinerary and give your opinion? Thanks

Posted by richkimmens on 28/2/2008 at 03:31

Hi, With 4 days to go before I fly out to Singapore I have now decided to actually make a bit of an itinerary... late I know but I would be really grateful if you could comment on my ideas (gratefully helped by karloon, elorajah and quero thus far). March 3rd/Day 1: Land in Singapore (evening) 2: Explore Singapore 3:Explore Singapore 4: Morning bus to Melaka 5: Melaka 6: Melaka to Taman Negara 7: Taman Negara 8: Taman Negara 9: Taman Negara to Kota Bahru to Perhentians 10: Perhent ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,009 times, with no replies.

Hilltribe Trek: Mae Hong Son, Luang Prabang, or Sapa?

Posted by susan32 on 26/2/2008 at 23:41

Hey everybody, I am traveling throughout Southeast Asia in July and August and am trying to decide where to participate in a hilltribe trek. I am definitely not going to go out of Chiang Mai, as those seem way over-touristed. I would like to do a 3 day/2 night trek that is the least touristy possible and is through a responsible operator. In terms of Mae Hong Son, Luang Prabang, or Sapa, I can't seem to determine which would be best. Does anybody have any suggestions for which city I sho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,662 times, with no replies.

Is 3 months enough?

Posted by Jebediah on 20/2/2008 at 20:39

Hi all I'm coming to the region in May, June and July and I'm wondering what people's opinions are on how much I can realistically do in that time? In an ideal world I would love to go to Thailand, Lao, Vietnam and Cambodia, but I'm not sure if the timeframe permits this? I fly in and out of Bangkok. I am backpacking so would like to do all the usual highlights, as well as have some relaxation time to just absorb the culture - I am scared of missing out on this by rushing around too muc ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,180 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Jebediah on 21/2/2008 at 15:57

From Bangkok to Singapore in 2 Months

Posted by wswlcott82 on 17/2/2008 at 19:41

Hi My girlfriend and I are arriving in Bangkok the first wek in June, We've been to Thailand before and plan to spend a few weeks there relaxing. After that we have around two months to travel around SE Asia before we have to catch a flight from Singapore to Bali. We'd like to see Vietnam, Cambodia, Maylaysia on our way but we are unsure as the best route to take aswell as any "must see" suggestions people may have. Thanks in advance Wswalcott82 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,211 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 18/2/2008 at 14:58

Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam in 30+...

Posted by rylb01 on 12/2/2008 at 03:14

Hey just wanted some feedback on our tentative itinerary through April. We are looking at this: Bangkok: 3 days. Southern Thailand beaches and islands (Railay, Krabi): 12 days. Siem Reap: 4 days. Phnom Penh: 3 days. Ho Chi Minh: 3 days. Hue: 3 days. Hanoi: 3 days. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,790 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Guernseystu on 13/2/2008 at 01:02

4 months in the region

Posted by nicola0312 on 5/2/2008 at 03:28

Hi, I am currently planning a trip to SE Asia for 2009 and would really appreciate some feedback on my itinerary. Day 1-3: Hanoi. Day 4-7: Sapa. Day 8: Hanoi. Day 9-10: Halong Bay. Day 11-13: Cuc Phuong National Park. Day 14: Hoa Lu, Tam Coc, Bich Dong & Phong Nha Caves. (can't decide) Day 15: Hue. Day 16-17: Hoi An. Day 18-19: Nha Trang. Day 20-22: Dalat. Day 23: Saigon. Day 24: Cu Chi. Day 25-28: Mekong Delta. Day 29: Phnom Penh. Day 30-31: Battambang. Day 32 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,725 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Guernseystu on 6/2/2008 at 22:19

USD OR STERLING TRAVELLERS CHEQUES?

Posted by dazm26 on 31/1/2008 at 00:33

Hi folkes, Just a quick question but whats best to take, USD or Sterling travellers cheques to change in SE ASIA, im going to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore! Thankyou Daz ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,627 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by exacto on 31/1/2008 at 10:51

Itinerary from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City

Posted by jackie66 on 3/1/2008 at 01:51

Hi, On leaving Siem Reap we plan to visit Phnom Penh, Kampot, Kep and Koh Tonsay. We then want to spend a few days on the Mekong Delta and a couple of days at Ho Chi Minh City. Could you please give us some advice on this itinerary, as we are not sure of the best way to go. We have the following specific questions: 1 If we go straight to the vietnamese border from Kep, is it best to cross at Ha Tien or at Chau Doc? Is there onward transport at Ha Tien? 2 Would you recommend that we book o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,274 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by vuh on 25/1/2008 at 17:15

Help! My 90day trip to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.

Posted by yooj on 14/1/2008 at 05:26

I'm leaving California to Cambodia on Jan 30 and will volunteering with a healthcare ministry for two weeks in Cambodia. once done, i will have roughly about 70 days to travel throughout Cambodia, Vietnam Laos and Thailand. I am completely lost and don't know how to travel, where to go, what to see etc. Does anyone have a solid intinerary for these countries. i plan to travel from Phnom Penh to Saigon then to Hanoi then to Laos then finally to Thailand. any sort of help would be greatly app ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,412 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 14/1/2008 at 08:14

Ten Southeast Asian trips for 2008

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/1/2008 at 16:56

We've just added a new feature story to the site, "Ten Southeast Asian trips for 2008" -- the story outlines ten trips we'd love to do in 2008. Some are totally possible, others complete pipe-dreams... Got a dream trip of your own? Please feel free to add it to this thread. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,159 times, with no replies.

Accommodation Recommendations

Posted by BaznChaz on 19/11/2007 at 00:17

We would like to hear from anyone with good recommendations for the following places to stay for a few nights in each location: (something reasonable with ensuite, upto $20-$50 / night) Bangkok Siam Reap Phnom Penh HCMH Hanoi Chaing Mai Krabbi Phuket Thanks in Advance BaznChaz ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,828 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Guernseystu on 1/1/2008 at 00:18

Travel from Siem Reap to Ho chi minh

Posted by ruaille on 10/12/2007 at 14:16

Could someone tell me if there is a train available between Siem reap and ho chi ming, how long does it take, how much is it. Which airlines fly between the two? Would people recommend flying or overland travel? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,587 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/12/2007 at 16:27

25 days in Laos, Cambodia & Vietnam

Posted by shelld on 28/12/2007 at 22:24

From Bangkok we're flying straight to Chiang Rai for an overnight stay in Chiang Khong. Long boat to LP for a couple of days, bus to Vang Vieng for 1 nite to go tubing (3 x 40yo's should be laugh!) & then on to Vientiane for a day or 2. Flying to Pakse & on to Don Det for 2 days before flying to Siem Reap. Does this sound do-able? We're allowing 10 days in Laos, 5 in Cambodia & 13 in Vietnam. I know its pretty rushed but would like a 'heads up' on what to see or miss on our trip. Thanks in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,367 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/12/2007 at 09:39

Cell phone during 4.5 month trip through SE Asia, East China, Japan

Posted by Lamar on 23/12/2007 at 16:33

Hello all! I've spent hours pouring through your posts. This is my first squeak as part of the big wheel of travelfish Q and A. I caught the recommendation to bring along an unblocked cell phone to Thailand and purchase a SIM card upon arrival, but I'm planning what appears to be a more extensive trip. I will be arriving in Bangkok mid-January (wow! coming up soon!!) and departing Tokyo late May. In between, I want to experience several of the SE Asian highlights. Should I bother with a cell ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,553 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Yorron on 27/12/2007 at 14:59

Fifteen tips for a great holiday in Asia

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/12/2007 at 04:56

This November we celebrated our 10-year anniversary of living and travelling in Southeast Asia. We've just added a new feature story to the site, "Fifteen tips for a great holiday in Asia" -- the story summarises 15 pieces of advice we've picked up along the way -- and we hope you find them of use. Got any advice of your own? Please feel free to add it to this thread. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,084 times, with no replies.

Upcountry hideaways in SE Asia

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/12/2007 at 07:08

We've just added a new feature story to Travelfish, some of our tips for upcountry hideaways in Asia. You'll have no doubt heard of some of the spots -- but hopefully not all of them, and we hope they help you dodge the hordes and have a fine trip. Comments, as usual, are welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,079 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 24/12/2007 at 08:32

25 days in Thailan, Laos, and Cambodia

Posted by zachmoore on 15/12/2007 at 18:03

Hey - we're heading to S/E Asia for a mid winter holiday,(january - february) be in the area for 25 days - mostly focused on Laos and Cambodia - Angkor. We're flying in and out of bangkok and then our rough plan is to head north to Chang Rai and take the boat to Louang Prabang, spend a few days there then work our way south hanging out some along the way; not really sure where - make our decisions along the way. From Pakxe we'll head back to thailand to get down to poipet and cross into Cambodia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,132 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/12/2007 at 06:39

Malaria Tablets Recommendations

Posted by BaznChaz on 1/12/2007 at 06:28

Hi, Can anyone recommend any Malaria tablets to take during our holiday in the far east (places visited will be Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand). Thanks in Advance BaznChaz ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,125 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by lovetofly on 2/12/2007 at 18:48

2 weeks in Thailand and Vietnam

Posted by manny on 14/11/2007 at 02:08

I know this trip may seem a little rushed, but we only have 2 weeks and want to hit a few spots in Thailand and Vietnam. Here is what I've come up with so far: Day1 Fly to Bangkok Day2 Bangkok Day3 Go to Ko Chang Day4 Ko Chang Day5 Ko Chang Day6 Fly to Hanoi Day7 Hanoi Day8 HoLang Bay Day9 HoLang Bay Day10 Hanoi Day11 HCMC Day12 Go to Mekong Delta Day13 Mekong Delta Day14 HCMC Day15 Fly out of HCMC Does this look doable? Insane? Any opinions/suggestions welcome. We have done ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,891 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by manny on 14/11/2007 at 23:04

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page