Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Overland from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Posted by scottyheather on 13/11/2009 at 15:56

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for around a month now and I've got to say a HUGE thanks to everyone for their really invaluable information. However, I'm getting really confused with some information I need. My husband and I travelling from Luang Prabang to Hanoi (via bus - yes I know we are masochists!) and although there's been heaps written (and I know cos my eyes are bleeding from reading it all) about the various routes, my main concern is the times (eg how many buses a day, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,102 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 3/12/2009 at 08:13

Motorcycle rental in Pakse

Posted by scomoore1 on 5/3/2008 at 11:02

I just heard a traveller report that last October, he was unable to rent a motorcycle anywhere in Pakse. I was hoping to do 'the loop' by cycle or scooter from Pakse based on Travelfish and various guidebook reports. Is it true that one can no longer rent cycles? Or was this a temporary condition based on transient security issues? Or something else? Am planning to be there in May. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,135 times, with 26 replies. Last reply by bitpiece on 1/12/2009 at 01:30

Overland Viang Veng to Luang Prabang (In comfort)

Posted by jaizan on 16/11/2009 at 06:21

What's my best option for travelling overland from Viang Veng to Luang Prabang, in reasonable comfort? I shall be travelling alone. Is it reasonably easy to book a shared taxi or minibus with other tourists? How long do minibuses take? Travelling on a bus is only acceptable if I am guaranteed to have a proper seat. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,964 times, with 22 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 30/11/2009 at 10:04

Elephants experience in Laos

Posted by gugli on 6/11/2009 at 17:15

Hi, I would like to ask if you have any experience with elephants rides in Laos? I have read a nice article here on Travelfish but this Tiger Trail company is quite expensive...? I am looking of a half to one day experience(and I would prefer to sit right on the elephant rather than on this seat they put on them...) thx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,675 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by cybervlad on 27/11/2009 at 18:12

Laos Slow Boat on a Sunday?

Posted by LauraCronk on 15/10/2009 at 01:20

Hi. I'm going to Laos from Chiang Mai in Jan 2010 and I have been trying to find out whether the Slow Boat goes on a Sunday or not. We are doing a whistle-stop tour of Asia so time is tight. I've also seen mixed stories as to whether the slow boat to Luang Probang is 3 days or 2 days travelling. Can someone please answer my questions so I can start getting excited about my trip :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,268 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by jaizan on 26/11/2009 at 05:24

Laos and Vietnam question....

Posted by blackpepper14 on 24/11/2009 at 17:49

Hi...admittedly lazy, as I could probably find this somewhere, but easy for someone in the know to give a phonetic pronunciation guide for a few cities I have listed? Thanks in advance... Vietnam: Hue Hoi An Lao Cai Halong Bay Laos: Vientiane Vang Vieng Luang Prabang Muang Sing Muang Long Huay Xai Pakse Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,196 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by blackpepper14 on 25/11/2009 at 09:30

Update of info on Pan's Place, Vang Vieng , Laos

Posted by neilenolix on 24/11/2009 at 19:44

Hi travelfish organisers, I am Neil, one of the proprieters at Pans Place. There has been a number of changes here since you posted your information about us so for the sake of accuracy please note: Jeska bar no longer exists and has been replaced by 5 Lao style bamboo chalets with share bathrooms which have proved very popular. We also now have an internet cafe adjoining the guesthouse with discount rates for guests. We no longer rent motorbikes or the jeep as I didn't like having to fix them ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,354 times, with no replies.

Phetsokxai in Pakbeng...stop on slow boat to Luang Prabang...

Posted by elizacass on 24/11/2009 at 14:00

I was wondering if anyone has any contact information for Phetsokxai hotel in Pakbeng in Laos...I have heard good things about staying here, and wanted to send an email or call to hold a room before the mad dash from the boat when it stops for the night...Thanks so much! Elizabeth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,524 times, with no replies.

Muang Long

Posted by christay2009 on 16/10/2009 at 16:57

I went over to Muang Long a week or so ago based on what Somchai had said about it. I cannot reccomend the place enough both as a place for a good wonder by yourself and as a place for a trek. Tui in the tourism office, mentioned on Lao Bumpkin, is a great guide and person. We had some difficulty at first as Tui was in Nam Tha at the boat races and his boss's english was lacking. When Tui returned we signed up for a two day trek; it was slightly cheaper than those from Muang Sing and also le ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,539 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 24/11/2009 at 00:54

Tubing in Vang Vieng Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/11/2009 at 04:51

Here's another good writeup and video of the tubing in scene in Laos. The swing footage at the start is very good and again the writing touches on how this isn't the safest deal in town... Time to go book that ticket MADMAC! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,636 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by neosho on 22/11/2009 at 10:21

New website on Vieng Xai

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/11/2009 at 12:25

I've not had time to take a close look at this yet, but there is a new website out focused on hua Phan province -- in particular Vieng Xai -- you can see the website here: http://www.visit-viengxay.com Hope of interest! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,273 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 21/11/2009 at 11:34

Info on backroad from Mahaxai to Sepone?

Posted by clairebike on 4/11/2009 at 12:50

We're currently bike touring Laos and would like to try the backroad from Mahaxai(Mahasay) to Sepone (Xepong). What are the road conditions for a bicycle? Any food or services available or homestays? Claire NewBohemians.net ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,556 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 21/11/2009 at 11:20

Vang Vieng

Posted by clairebike on 4/11/2009 at 12:46

While in Vang Vieng, staying at the Dokboua GH, someone opened our door at 1:30 a.m. We were already awake from the drunks down the hall and started yelling. We didn't catch whoever it was, but beware, they need to install deadbolts. Claire Rogers NewBohemians.net ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,855 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by basho on 20/11/2009 at 20:15

Adapter needed?

Posted by travellingmon on 26/8/2008 at 22:10

I am traveling to Luang Prabang from Canada for several months. I am bringing my laptop and am wondering if I need an adapter to plug it in and charge it? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,743 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 20/11/2009 at 16:24

Elephant Festival in Xayaboury

Posted by rosscoact on 18/11/2009 at 17:10

does anyone know when the Elephant Festival in Xayaboury is in 2010. I know it's supposed to be around mid February when I'll be there doing a dirt bike ride, but I really need exact dates. On the same topic, is it worth going and can one find accommodation? cheers ross ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,270 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rosscoact on 19/11/2009 at 11:12

Where to go in Northern Laos?

Posted by spikenz on 1/11/2009 at 03:49

Hi, I am leaving for a trip in a week and will be travelling in Northern Laos with my parents for a few weeks. We have arranged to do a trip out of Luang Nam Tha then have four days before we have to be in Luang Prabang (my parents have a flight back to Bangkok from here). Just wanting some suggestions for where to go and see with these four days. Looking primarily for chilled out places with nice scenery etc. Thanks for the help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,521 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 18/11/2009 at 22:54

looking for a fun guesthouse in luang prabang

Posted by kiwistacey11 on 18/11/2009 at 17:01

Off to Luang Prabang tommorrw evening and was wondering if someone can rec a guesthouse that is more popular with younger backpackers who are up for meeting people, stayed in a few places were people just seem to want to stick to themselves but really keen to meet people and have a bit of fun. All the normal things apply...cheapish, central location, clean (ish) :) Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,209 times, with no replies.

Gibbon Experience in Wet Season????

Posted by beachfunguy on 24/4/2009 at 05:00

Hello all, A friend and I were planning on doing the Gibbon experience in early May, which appears to be the start of the wet season... Has anybody done Gibbons in the wet season and what was your experience? Rain doesnt bother me but I have heard some horror stories about the hike in/out (10+ hours each way in tough conditions), and wanted to get a second opinion? Thanks for your time, BeachFunGuy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,213 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by manotone on 17/11/2009 at 15:41

Gibbon Experience questions

Posted by ozinasia on 17/9/2009 at 07:02

Hi, I'm planning to spend 2 nights at the Gibbon Experience in January 2010. Couple of quick questions. 1.What is the best way to get there from Huay Xai? 2. How much will it cost to spend 2 nights there? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,023 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by manotone on 17/11/2009 at 01:53

Comments to my route: Luang Prabang, Pakse and Ko Maak

Posted by nadineurban on 15/11/2009 at 19:31

Hello! I am planning my holidays and would be greateful for comments. I am not sure if I am too ambitious... I am flying from Bangkok to Luang Prabang . I want to do trips from Luang Prabang for a week, then fly to Attapeu and do trips around Pakse for a week. The final week/days I want to spend at the beach and relax. After reading a lot about Cambodia I think I would prefer a less touristy beach in Thailand. I found Ko Maak which sounds amazing. From Ko Maak I will have to get ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,372 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 16/11/2009 at 11:09

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page