Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vang vieng. Do I bother?

Posted by kirstenc on 9/9/2009 at 15:22

I'm heading over to Laos in October with my husband and two kids aged 10 & 12. We want to see the scenery around VV But we are appalled by the loutish and offensive durnken behaviour of the backpackers in VV. Can we get away from all that in VV or should we push on to Luang Prabang? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,293 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by daflj on 15/9/2009 at 18:05

Muang Sing

Posted by gracetandil on 31/8/2009 at 20:10

My question is: how long is Muang Sing from the border crossing from Thailand to Laos? Is it an interesting place? What about the markets? Opium market? I canĀ“t get enough information. Thank you all. Love, Graciela. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,044 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 15/9/2009 at 09:02

Luang Prabang during New Years

Posted by jsham84 on 14/9/2009 at 23:19

I will be traveling to Luang Prabang during new Years, roughly from Dec. 28 to Jan. 3. Ive been trying to book something online but havent been able to find anything. I know that the slow boat from Thailand gets in around dusk. Will it be possible to find accomodation upon arrival_ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,696 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somsai on 15/9/2009 at 08:07

Chiang Rai to Luang Probang and return

Posted by ano_1 on 9/9/2009 at 10:54

We are a family of 5 wanting to travel from either Chaing Rai or Chiang Mai to Luang Probang and back and considering the entire journey by road to maximise our limited time in Laos. Would greatly appreciate any recent/ up to date information or advice in organising this trip. (have gone off the idea of the river due to some of the other posts on travelfish). Ano_=1 Australia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,708 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/9/2009 at 21:32

BUS WARNING SAM NEUA TO UDOM XAI !

Posted by jamesspignesi on 29/1/2009 at 16:24

Be very wary of the small buses that run between these areas or for that matter anywhere in Laos. I am not talking about the mini-vans nor the largeb public buses. These are the mid-sized ones sometimes with a white ,red, or purple top.Make sure you purchase your ticket at a bus station otherwise they stop in the middle of nowhere and demand more. My trip should not have been more than 25,000 kip i had to pay 110,000.I witnessed the driver and his little witch also demand more money from the lao ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,427 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by bjpfoto on 6/9/2009 at 20:14

Lao Airlines flight promotion

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2009 at 15:16

Seems Lao Airlines have a webmaster again and the website has been updated/fixed up ... a bit. Interestingly there is a section on the front page detailing some promotional fares for travel up to 28 October 2009. Sample includes (all fares USD, exclude taxes etc): Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang: $100 Luang Prabang - Hanoi: $105 Vientiane - Hanoi: $110 Udon Thani - Luang Prabang: $79 Bangkok - Savannakhet: $95 Luang Prbaang - Siem Reap: $158 There are more fares listed on the Lao Airlin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,505 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 4/9/2009 at 03:29

US bombing missiong over Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/8/2009 at 19:31

If you've got Google Earth installed on your machine, you may be interested to have a look at the following add-on that marks over the map of Laos, every single US sortie that was flown. The results are simply breathtaking. I've attached a screenshot of it below, red circles are 500lb bombs, purple are 750lb (B52 strikes), other colours are other miscellaneous "General Purpose" munitions. There's all sorts of info about it here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&N ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,214 times, with 43 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 1/9/2009 at 17:20

air travel - cheaper to book when I'm there?

Posted by Intrepid82 on 27/7/2009 at 09:12

Is it cheaper to purchase domestic/international flights once you are in the country of origin?? IE if I want to fly from Siem Reap to Vientiane or from Vientiane to Phonsavan should I wait until I am in Cambodia/Laos to book? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,157 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/8/2009 at 07:39

Travelling the Nam Ou - Lonely Planet is again wrong!

Posted by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 17:00

The boat journey along the Nam Ou is memorable and enjoyable. Lonely Planet describes the journey in glowing terms. Wrong again, Mr LP!! We began at Luang Prabang, in the 3rd week of April, travelling the river over 2 days to Muang Khua . The dry season had ended, and with the occasional afternoon storms the section we traversed was navigable. We'd heard from a French lady that 3 weeks prior she was a passenger, and they had to get into the river and push the boat through some sec ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,505 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by SBE on 27/8/2009 at 18:36

Tubing in VangViang

Posted by anandgrafiti on 27/7/2009 at 19:50

Hi All, I know tubing involves booze and long hours of exposed sun. But one basic doubt i have is that how safe is it otherwise? Do you need to be a good swimmer(is swimming a must skill to do it?) to do tubing? Is the waters safe? Anand ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,500 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by SteinOfOrange on 27/8/2009 at 13:37

Up Nam Ou River from LP

Posted by realalaskan on 12/11/2007 at 08:10

Flew into Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai last year. Didn't get to spend enough time. Going back in January. Looking for information on traveling upstream from LP to Hat Sa on the Nam Ou River. Road connection to Phongsali and back to LP. Have any of you done this loop? I understand it takes about a week. Feedback? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,817 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by deuxbecs on 27/8/2009 at 00:58

Nam Ou river in April

Posted by erinzita on 3/4/2008 at 13:12

Hi, We'd like to travel down the Nam Ou by slow boat from either Phongsali or Muang Khua to Luang Prabang (stopping off at Muang Ngoi Neua and Nong Khiaw). The problem is I have heard that the river is often too low in April for boats to run. Does anyone know how likely it is for boats to be running at this time? We don't want to get the bus all the way from Luang Nam Tha to Phongsali to find out that we can't get the boat and have to get the bus all the way back (and I get travel sick!). ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,895 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by deuxbecs on 27/8/2009 at 00:57

Slow boat & Nam Ou query

Posted by lmbeer on 9/9/2008 at 11:19

The first thing I have to say is how useful and informative this forum is. It's great, thank you! I am heading to Lao next February. I want to take the slow boat from Huay Xai to LP. However I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the Huay Xai to Pakbeng and Pakbeng to LP days is better / more scenic? I am also wondering if I should take the slow boat from Huay Xai to only as far as Pakbeng, stay the night and then catch a bus from Pakbeng to Muang Khua (via Udomxai) for the ni ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,068 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by deuxbecs on 27/8/2009 at 00:55

itinery and some traffic questions. Please help!

Posted by joancchung on 14/8/2009 at 18:16

3/9 Bkk > Chiangmai (Flight) 3/9 -4/9 Chiangmai (is it possible to trek to Mae Hong Son ?) 5/9 - 7/9 Chiangmai > Luang Prabang (thinking if I should go for the budget tour to laos which costs 1900 baht - slow boat) 7/9 - 9/9 Luang Prabang 10/9 - 12/9 Luang Prabang > Phonsavan (Plain of Jars) 12/9 Phonsavan > Vang Vieng (is there any bus to V.V. from Phonsavan anyway? There's none told in "getting there and back"...) 13/9 - 15/9 Vang Vieng 15/9 - 16/9 V.V. > Vientiane (should i ta ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,541 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 26/8/2009 at 00:57

Taking classes in laos and vietnam

Posted by MariaT on 23/7/2009 at 09:37

Hello everyone! I am planning a 1-2 month trip to laos and vietnam. I am trying to find out if there are any places in these countries that are offering any sorts of courses besides cooking, language or yoga classes. My idea for this trip is less traveling around and more finding a nice laid back place to stay for a longer period of time and exploring the surroundings and the culture little by little. I have seen posts about different courses one can do in ho chi min and in hanoi, but from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,944 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 25/8/2009 at 12:32

Bicycle and motobike rentals in Luang Prabang

Posted by ellenagger on 23/8/2009 at 21:26

Is it possible yet to rent bicycles and motorbikes in Luang Prabang province if you are a foreigner? It became illegal to do so a couple of trips ago and I'm hoping it's changed. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,938 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by somsai on 25/8/2009 at 00:58

Booking the gibbon experience

Posted by 21days on 17/8/2009 at 08:50

Hi I have been trying to book the gibbon experience and have sent several emails but no reply. Is the only way to do it by calling them? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,471 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by fairbernbari5 on 23/8/2009 at 14:43

Gunz in Laoz

Posted by somsai on 16/8/2009 at 22:15

On another thread Big Ross said, "I noticed your reference to "long muzzle loading rifles". I've seen them too, and was struck by the extraordinary length of the barrels. Do you (or anybody) know if these are rifles or shotguns, and why do they make the barrels so long? I wonder what the most common game is that they hunt. I've often seen people in markets offering very small deer (which appeared to have been shot)for sale, and some odd, cat-like animals, as well as squirrels. I think they a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,290 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 22/8/2009 at 11:57

Is there still a curfew in Laos?

Posted by MADMAC on 19/8/2009 at 02:24

My counsin in Vientiane told me there's a midnight curfew in Laos. Is that still in effect and is it enforced at all? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,905 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 20/8/2009 at 18:15

3 week laos itinerary - please help!! :)

Posted by juls101 on 16/8/2009 at 19:12

Hi, This is my first solo trip through indochina and I am pretty excited to kick it off in laos in October. I do not know much about what is possible though (feeling a little bit clueless at the moment) altho reading other posts is definitely helping. Can you please advise on what would be a good route to see the south and north of laos in 2.5 - 3 weeks and whether I should consider taking any flights etc.? Any advice, criticism etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. So far this is what I am ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,350 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 19/8/2009 at 13:57

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page