Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Upcoming Travel

Posted by nevermore93 on 20/7/2009 at 07:38

I'm preparing an open ended trip to SE Asia with Laos being the main focus on my travels. I'm no stranger to getting around in other countries and pretty good at making friends and connections. I'm planning to fly into Bangkok and then make my way to Vientiane. From there, I'll try to hit the ground running as I always do. Not recommended, but it's just a personal preference. Some of my best trips started in the middle of nowhere and ended up someplace really cool. But I digress. My question ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,718 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 08:47

Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang

Posted by Nokka on 19/7/2009 at 16:03

I’ve got stuck and keep changing my mind, so thought I would ask you guys. My wife & I are travelling from Northern Thailand to Northern Laos later this year. We have a total of 18 nights from arriving on the night train in Chiang Mai from Bangkok to flying out of Vientiane to Saigon. When planning this part of our trip the first thing we put on our scheduler was the trip down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. We had watched on TV a British travel journo do the trip from Houei Xai on a bo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,715 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 05:15

Airfare from Houayxay to Luang Prabang

Posted by anandgrafiti on 18/7/2009 at 15:39

Anybody know the domestic airfare for this route on Lao Airlines? We are thinking of a way to skip the 2 day boat trip to Luang Prabang as it is eating into our itinerary and not particularly keen on a boat trip for 2 days. Are there other modes of travel which may cut short the travelling time? ie By road, or a combination of river and road? Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,083 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 19/7/2009 at 15:04

Na Hin to Tham Kam Lo

Posted by nathandjen on 17/7/2009 at 19:53

Hi All, Have read all I can on this subject and varying reports are everywhere. Has anyone done this very recently? If so is the road open all the way to Ban Phou Ngeng or even Ban Konglor? Or is a long and expensive river boat from Ban Na Phua the only option? Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Na Hin or how to easy it is to get the bus to from Vientiane? We were thinking route 13 from the capital, getting off at Vieng Kham / Thang Beng and then on fr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,387 times, with no replies.

North or South?

Posted by jyates on 15/7/2009 at 17:45

Myself and a few friends are going to have a short holiday (2.5 weeks) in Thailand and Laos. We're going to fly into Bangkok and explore there a little, then go to Laos for about 10-12 days. I've travelled in Thailand and Laos before but noone else in the group has been to a developing country so I don't want to give them too much of a culture shock. As we don't have too much time in Laos, I'm trying to work out whether we should go to Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, or go down south for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,704 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 16/7/2009 at 22:39

Optons in South Laos for someone on Krutches

Posted by sacott on 14/7/2009 at 22:12

I an currently in Vinetine on a 5 week trip covering Laos and Thailand. A mate and I were planning to spend a week travelling to and looking around Southern Laos from tomorrow however I broke my leg in Vang Vieng. Wondering if anyone can offer an opinion of whether it is worth going to south Laos on Krutches not being able to walk around very much. Was really looking forward to walking, homestays, swimming and motorbike exploring but I guess those things are out now. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,350 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by HoangDJ on 15/7/2009 at 10:33

Laos: 2 weeks with toddler and baby

Posted by FionaMelbourne on 28/6/2009 at 20:51

Hi, just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on where we should stay and what we can do. We're flying in and out of Vientiane in February. I'm planning on flying rather than catching the bus as I've heard the bus trips are long and dangerous. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,875 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 15/7/2009 at 07:26

Driving times in Laos

Posted by keebone on 26/6/2009 at 00:13

Hi all, new to the forum and hope I can get and maybe even give some advice. I'm planning a trip into Laos from Thailand with my Thai GF in her car entering at Nong Khai and leaving at Chong Mek. She's already sorted out the passport for the car and the plan is to stay overnight in Vientiane , head up to Vang Vieng , then onto Luang Prabang and retracing our route before following the course of the Mekhong down to Lakxe and back into Thailand. Looking at the road map it's a shame we'll ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,518 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by julesclassic on 14/7/2009 at 18:55

Beginning itinerary for Laos

Posted by Nywoman on 14/7/2009 at 04:51

October 12 night train from BKK to Luang Namtha Oct 13 Luang Namtha Oct 14 Luang Namtha Oct 15 Luang Namtha Oct 16 fly to Vientiane 16.00 Oct 17 Vientiane Oct 18 fly to Xine Khouang Plain of Jars 12.40 Oct 21 Return to Vientiane 13.50 My question there are only 3 weekly flights, Sun, Wed, Fri in and out of Xine Khouang. I have heard and read that you only need 1 night and 2 days for the Plain of Jars. I am probably fine with 1 day, but am not sure how to get out of there and is 1 1/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,519 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 14/7/2009 at 08:33

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum

Posted by angfonz on 8/7/2009 at 22:43

Can anyone please help me with the exact period of operation? My trip would be much simpler if I could avoid starting in Hanoi, and ending there instead. Unfortunately, from what I've read the Mausoleum is closed in September. Is that from the 1st or later in the month? My travel times are August 20th to September 20th. I'm bringing a rain coat! Thanks in advance. Depending on your answers I'll probably bombard this forum with questions since Bruce kicked me off the Indochina section! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,579 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/7/2009 at 23:54

Luang Prabang to Gibbon Experience

Posted by jfenwick on 13/4/2007 at 08:52

How long do we need to get from Luang Prabang to The Gibbon Experience? And where if we are booked already do we need to go? What is the best method of travel in July? River or road or combo? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,169 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/7/2009 at 18:42

My turn for an Itinerary review!

Posted by mamatwiga on 9/7/2009 at 10:36

Hello all, As many have already said, I'm amazed by how helpful everyone is on these message boards. Thank you in advance ... SEA is a new frontier for me so I appreciate any and all advice! My boyfriend and I are travelling for 3 weeks in August and have just recently cut down our itinerary after reading the advice posted on here. I realize that it's likely still too packed, but we'll see what feedback we get. As of now, we're planning: Aug 3: Fly into Bangkok Aug 4: Bangkok Aug ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,139 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by mamatwiga on 11/7/2009 at 13:48

Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong/Huai Xai quickly/overnight

Posted by amarradia on 10/7/2009 at 19:37

Is it possible to get from Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong overnight? If so how? Would this allow border crossing in time for the slowboat? Alternatively is it possible to get from Chiang Mai to Huai Xai in one day, crossing the border in time on a Sunday? How would this be done? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,003 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 11/7/2009 at 07:26

The 1 Day Boat - Thailand to Luang Prabang

Posted by JakiDL on 16/11/2006 at 14:23

I have seen a few questions about taking the Slow Boat (2days) or Speedy Boat from Chiang Kong (Thailand) to Luang Prabang. Don't deapait, there is a 3rd option! We took a comfortable, spacious boat and arrived in Luang Prabang in only one day. We booked through a travel agent in Chiang Rai and it was a package deal including one night's stay at a hotel in Chaing Sean. You might be able to book the boat on it's own, but I think they are privately chartered - you would need to ask a travel agent ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 44,113 times, with 42 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 11/7/2009 at 06:13

How to book Lao Airlines flights???????

Posted by TheOtherOne on 9/7/2009 at 17:28

Disregard the post above. . . . I would like to fly from Pakse to Hanoi. . . . hopefully this can be done in a day. I assume that I'll need to connect in Vientiane. Unfortunately the Lao Airlines website has been less than helpful. . . . I have not been able to book any flights on it. Every time I try it just sends me back to its home page. Can I just show up in Pakse the day before and purchase a ticket? Are their any alternatives to getting to Hanoi? Any suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,414 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 10/7/2009 at 07:46

Airtravel in Laos

Posted by travelgirl on 21/6/2009 at 13:08

Hi guys I am going to be flying from Laos into Siam reap and am a little nervous about flying as after googeling airtravel in Laos I have heard a mixture of good and bad stories. Anyone flown in Laos? Were you comfortable? Feel safe? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,828 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/7/2009 at 09:30

laos in 6 days??!!!! help!!!

Posted by feeona_lou on 29/6/2009 at 01:05

Myself and 2 friends (all girls incase this is relevant) have 4 weeks in thailand this summer - we've heard great things about laos and wondered if its possible/wise to attempt laos in 6 days??!!! we land in bangkok on 24th july, plan to possibly do 3 day jungle trek in chiang mai then head to loas, need to get to koh phangan by 3rd aug in prep for full moon party. how should we get from chiang mai to loas? and where would people recommend if we've got such a short time? are we being a bit a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,858 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/7/2009 at 14:37

Phou Khao Khouay - Worth visiting?

Posted by tujungadj on 7/7/2009 at 02:28

Hello. Looking at either a day trip or an overnight to Phou Khao Khouay National Park while in the Vientiane area in early January. We're interested in the scenic sights (waterfalls, etc.) and wildlife. Is this worth doing? Can the sights be seen on one's own? If overnighting, is home-stay the best option? All info welcome. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,773 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 7/7/2009 at 07:08

Travelling Sth Laos July

Posted by limeandsoda on 5/7/2009 at 20:08

Hi everyone! I'm looking at going back to Laos in the next few weeks because i loved it so much last time i was there. I want to go to the south (having done LP, VV and Vientiane in the previous trip) However, i only have 2 weeks all up and would like to go to Siem reap to see Angkor too - this makes me think i may only have 7-8 days in Southern Laos - it this worthwhile? or too short? I am thinking Day 1 - Arrive Vientiene in morning, leave for Pakse that night Days 2-4 i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,209 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by limeandsoda on 6/7/2009 at 15:51

Possible Laos North to South itinarary

Posted by amarradia on 1/7/2009 at 22:32

Hi there, I wanted to get some feedback on this possible itinerary for Laos North to South. Time is looking quite tight so if you could comment then that would be great. Day 1: fly into Chiang Mai from KL and spend 2 nights there Day 3: Cross into Laos Days 4-5: Do the Gibbons experience in Huai Xai Days 6-7: Take the slowboat or bus to Luang Prabang Days 8-10: 3 nights in Luang Prabang Days 11-12: Vang Vieng Day 13: leave Vang Vieng From there we want to go to South ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,998 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 5/7/2009 at 05:39

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page