Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Clueless: 10 days in Laos, What to DO?

Posted by boydie111 on 11/3/2009 at 08:35

Hi, I am looking to travel to Vietnam and Laos in June with one friend for approx 1 month. Having spoke to many backpackers while in was in Thailand recently, it seems that Laos is amazing and is a must do, however I am having trouble finding information on where to go and what to see?? I am 20 yrs old and am travelling on a budget, we are looking to spend approx 10 days in laos, though this can be extended if necessary. Ive been told that the tubing is a must do, but i want to get more out of t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,988 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 17:05

Gibbon Experience- hear its good but is it really worth 160 euros?

Posted by lexitaylor on 3/6/2009 at 21:56

Hi I'm looking at doing the gibbon experience on the 20th or 21st of June! I was originally looking at doing the classic experience but have been quoted 160 euros (170 if bought in huay xai close to the time) for the classic or the waterfall! To me, this seems like an awful lot of money, especially given I'm british, and our exchange rate with the euro has in recent years gone from £1: 1.6 euros to £1:1 euro! I was wondering if it would be sensible to give the gibbon experience a miss and save ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,332 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 13:17

Laos in April: new year worth the smoke and heat?

Posted by shrub on 6/1/2009 at 10:46

Hey, great site going here. Fascinating, informative and well laid out. I'm disembarking on a two-month trip trough Thailand and Laos with my girlfriend starting in March and ending with April. Basically, each country gets roughly a month: Thailand in March and Laos in April. This site describes March to May in Laos as "unbearable" and "yuck!" due to the rice stubble burning and intense heat. However, the much recommended Lao New Year takes place sometime mid-April. So my questions are: d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,474 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 10/6/2009 at 01:36

Help - Thailand to Vietnam Itinerary

Posted by brutus123 on 9/6/2009 at 09:53

Hi, I have read many posts on this website and they have been absolutely fasinating to say the least. What a great site. Anyway my questions are related to travelling across Laos in late September/early October from Huay Xai and entering Veitnam by flying into Hanoi (the options by land appear to time consuming and I don't want to spend endless hours on the bus). The itinerary for the 4 of us is currently shaping up like this; 1. Travel to Muang Sing stay o/n and following day h ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,550 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 19:37

Itinerary check

Posted by javienlared on 6/6/2009 at 16:22

Great website, congratulations. Hello everybody I,m from Spain, travelling 15 june to bangkok then to Laos... sorry for my english it,s very basic. The travel plan is: Bangkok: 2 days arriving one end another. Ayuttaya: 1day then nigth train to chiang mai. Chiang Mai: 2 days Suggestions of getting to Chang Khong, how to get and time.what about the opium museum in Chiang Saen? and the village. Huai xai to L.P by slow boat 2 days Luang Prabang : 3 days L.P- vientiane by bus? or whatelse? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,316 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/6/2009 at 19:21

Laos visa in Bangkok

Posted by javienlared on 9/6/2009 at 18:12

I,m wondering if it will be better to get my Laos visa in BKK better than in Huay Xai border. Comparing time spend in both places. Any one can help me whith that... Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,299 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by javienlared on 9/6/2009 at 18:14

Mosquito repellant advice

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/6/2009 at 06:23

Hi, fellow travellers I was confronted with a dilemma regarding mosquito repellant. Here, in Australia, DEET is no longer readily available. I did a bit of research, and posted on the 'Health' page. Today I discovered some alarming facts about DEET. You may also be interested: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/3962_deet-or-picaridn- Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,904 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 7/6/2009 at 20:38

beware: renting motorbike in vientaine

Posted by eddiethl on 7/6/2009 at 17:45

for those who are considering renting motorbikes in vientaine, please avoid renting from mimi guesthouse. their bikes are in poor condition. the first bike that i tried, the brakes aren't working(that's really dangerous). the second bike won't start, the 3rd bike seems ok until 10 mins later it decided to stop working. i had to push the bike all the way back to the guesthouse, they refused to refund my money and insist that i have to pay for repairs. apparently the same happened to this o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,339 times, with no replies.

Gibbon Experience in September?

Posted by smartlyndy on 7/5/2009 at 21:55

Hi all After reading an earlier entry about the G.E.being questionable in May, am I right in thinking it's out of the question in September? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,697 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by meyers66 on 5/6/2009 at 22:46

Luang Prabang to Siem Reap by air?

Posted by SybilVane on 5/6/2009 at 13:05

Hello all, I'll be in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia this October, and I'm trying to figure out the quickest way to go from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap. Apparently the only direct flight is with Lao Airlines, but their website quotes USD 220. I hear Vietnam Airlines also flies from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap, however that route is not listed on their website. Does anybody have experience with Vietnam Airlines? How do their prices compare to other airlines? I'm not looking for luxury at all, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,985 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 5/6/2009 at 13:53

Laos visa on arrival update

Posted by eggewaertslamp on 30/5/2009 at 15:41

Lao National Tourism Association published an update on border crossings and visa on arrival. You can find it on teakdoor.com/thai-visas-and-visa runs/ 50898-lao-visa on arrival ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,826 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by udon on 2/6/2009 at 06:46

Viengvilay GH / TCK Amazing Tour in Vang Vieng

Posted by cpg on 1/6/2009 at 21:47

I am interested in staying at the Viengvilay GH in VV, but the only review is 4 years old (2005) and both the email address and website listed don't work. Has anyone stayed their recently? Does anyone know a working email address? Thanks, Carissa ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,295 times, with no replies.

Getting to Laos from Hanoi

Posted by Loretta on 24/5/2009 at 16:56

Hi, I have looked into flights from Hanoi to Laos and they are very expensive. Does anyone know the best bus route and border crossings as an alternative. I have heard this option is very time consuming but I would like to know more. Look forward to the feed back. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,849 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Loretta on 26/5/2009 at 18:14

Overland Lao Bao crossing to Pakse

Posted by Cian on 23/5/2009 at 13:12

Hi guys, first up, this is a great site.thanks for all the info. Will be coming down through Vietnam through Laos via the crossing of Lao Bao. I'd like some advice on how to get to Pakse and maybe get an idea of how long it takes and road conditions? I want to expect the worst but still want an idea of what I'm letting myself in for :) I'm guessing I'll have to join the highway 13 at Xeno. Is this the only way? Thanks again ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,799 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Cian on 25/5/2009 at 10:17

Itinerary Question - How many days to spend in LP?

Posted by wheelse on 7/4/2009 at 10:22

I'm planning a grand solo journey through SE Asia end of June and all of July and am starting in HCM through Cambodia and then to Bangkok. I want to end my trip at the beaches in Thailand, but before heading down there I was thinking of trying to fit in Laos. I would plan to fly to LP from Bangkok (mid-July), then back to BKK down to Krabi. How many days do you recommend for LP and surrounding areas? I was planning to skip Vientaine (rainy season, i imagine this would take a LONG time), ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,499 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by smkuchta on 23/5/2009 at 12:54

Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai - daily flights ?

Posted by carolwright on 20/5/2009 at 18:59

Ideally want to fly from LP - CM on Sat 9 Jan. 2010. Lao Airlines show flight available & looks like I can book. However Trailfinders UK (who booked my international flights) say that their system shows flights on 8th & 10th only, not the 9th. Anyone advise ? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,721 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 21/5/2009 at 05:07

train times

Posted by taraleelee on 15/5/2009 at 07:05

How long does it take on the train to go from Vientiane to Bangkok? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,453 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Lother on 15/5/2009 at 13:32

Northern Laos in 3-4 weeks - is this itinerary doable?

Posted by saxomophone on 11/5/2009 at 18:29

How does this sound? Vientiane 14-16 July Vang Vieng 16-17 July Luang Prabang 17-21 July (+ a 1-2 day hike in the surrounding area. Phonosavan 21-22 July (fly from LP, visit Plain of Jars) 22-25 Sam Neua (It looks as though there is a road that heads due north off route 7 heading east from Phonosavan which heads up to route 6 to Sam Neua - do any buses ply this route?) 25-27 (Not sure here - I'm interested in getting even more remote. Has anyone been further east or north o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,888 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 11/5/2009 at 19:23

Luang Prabang to Vieng Xai?

Posted by joe000 on 9/5/2009 at 05:42

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with advice re: time to allow and ways to get to Vieng Xai from Luang Prabang. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,654 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 11/5/2009 at 17:42

Louang Prabang to Phonsavan or Vang Vieng?

Posted by ChrisM48 on 2/1/2009 at 09:09

Would appreciate some advice. Am considering flying to Phonasavan (want to see Plain of Jars) from L/Prabang and then bussing over a few days down to Vientiane via Vang Vieng. Alternately, may fly from Phonsavan direct to Vientiane. Only have 5/6 days on this part of trip. Any suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,502 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by PeterM on 11/5/2009 at 16:36

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page