Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Should I pre-book tickets to Laos?

Posted by cbaumga2 on 9/4/2009 at 06:29

We will be flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang , and then from Luang Prabang to Bangkok, all in June. Is it necessary to book these tickets in advance, or will I be OK purchasing them when I get there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,935 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/4/2009 at 10:55

Entering Laos from Vietnam - Money Issues

Posted by lobstermage on 13/4/2007 at 15:48

Hi! So, my friend and I are planning a trip in Southeast Asia this summer, and our plan is to visit Laos after we're done in Vietnam. I am currently living outside of the US, so I have not even set eyes upon US currency in paper form in almost an entire year. So, I'm wondering - what are the odds of being able to find a place to convert Vietnamese Dong to Lao Kip? And, is it popular to survive in Laos without any Baht or Dollars? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,552 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by fotosbydavid on 8/4/2009 at 21:14

Luang Prabang, back to Thailand

Posted by SybilVane on 4/4/2009 at 15:51

Hello, I'm working on my itinerary for my trip in September and the forum threads are proving incredibly useful. A lot has been said about the trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang . I still haven't decided, but I'll get there eventually. Now the big question is, how do I get back? I don't have a lot of time to spend in Laos, and after Luang Prabang, I need to return to Thailand as quickly as possible, and it seems that a flight to Bangkok would be the best option. At this point, the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,415 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by SybilVane on 5/4/2009 at 07:06

Gibbon Experience

Posted by gabby on 19/3/2007 at 06:18

Has anyone done the Gibbon Experience with kids? We are travelling with our 9 & 7 year old girls. They are very adventurous and really like the idea of zipping around the treetops but I am interested to hear from anyone else who may have been there with their children. Thanks, Gabby ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,441 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Glhaskell on 5/4/2009 at 05:56

Guest House near Phou Khoun on Highway 13?

Posted by eljefe on 11/3/2009 at 18:40

Last I heard, there was a new "resort" guest house opening just south of Phou Koun on Highway 13. Supposedly it's 2-5 km south of town. I know there are 2 or 3 guest houses in the center of Phou Koun but they are best avoided. I'll be coming in from Phonsavan by bicycle on Highway 7 and then heading north to Luang Prabang and would prefer not to have to go south and backtrack for a hotel that may not be open The last report I have was in November when it wasn't open yet. Any current in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,232 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by eljefe on 2/4/2009 at 17:13

How debilitating is the wet season in the far South/ Bolaven??

Posted by autourdumonde3232 on 2/4/2009 at 04:01

Hi all! I'm planning on visiting Southern Laos in late June/ Early July, which is about a month or two in to the "wet season". According to guide books "southern Laos and Cambodia" are the "exception" when it comes to the wet season not complicating travel. I have grown to not fully trust guide books.. not only because they encompass a vast amount of information usually gathered by one single person in each region, but because they have liabilities that an individual does not when giving ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,354 times, with no replies.

Getting from Northern Laos to Northern Thailand

Posted by Glhaskell on 12/3/2009 at 22:01

Has anyone gone from Luang Praband up to Pai in thialand? Are there buses or did you have to take a flight? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,747 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 26/3/2009 at 07:30

New Years in Luang Prabang vs. Chiang Mai

Posted by Kostichka on 26/2/2009 at 10:32

Hey everyone, I will be heading to Thailand and Laos in April. I have the flexibility to be either in Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang for New Year festivities. I heard that both are great time but can anyone provide me with more details? how are the celebrations different in each town, etc. Thanks, Kostja ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,420 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 26/3/2009 at 07:15

Mouang Khoua - Phong Sali road.

Posted by BigRoss on 26/2/2009 at 19:20

My map shows a secondary road from Muang Khoua to Ban Hat Sa near Phong Sali. Is anybody familiar with this road? I'm wondering if I could get a trail bike up it in September. Grateful for any information on the area. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,872 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 18/3/2009 at 09:30

A5N rugby in Savannakhet 22, 25 & 28 March

Posted by silverwood on 17/3/2009 at 20:52

Lao, Cambodia and Brunei are competing in the Asia 5 Nations rugby tournament at the Savannakhet National Stadium this month. See www.laorugby.com for details. The Lao Rugby Federation is arranging a bus Vientiane-Savan to catch the final game, leaving on Friday 27th. Deal includes 2 nights at the new Savan Vegas hotel complex, only $95. Message +85627849512 for more info... See travelfish if you are interested in budget or flashpacker options, and to read about other things to check ou ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,089 times, with no replies.

Elephany trekking solo...

Posted by think87 on 17/3/2009 at 06:29

Almost all tours say min. 2 persons..... If someone wants to do it alone can they? will they just trow into a group of others? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,586 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 17/3/2009 at 11:34

Lost earphones in Vang Vieng! Can anyone look for them, whos heading there, please?

Posted by thomashuang on 13/3/2009 at 19:28

Hello, I lost my earphones in Vang Vieng, if anyone is heading there, could you please look for them? Last time I saw them I was in the tiny, deserted internet cafe across the street from Chilllao Youth Hostel, on the main road. It's a little north of the perpendicular street that goes down to the tubing rental. It's 200 kip/min which is the cheapest rate you can get there. It was pretty fast too. If it's not there, it might be back at the Nana Guesthouse, the newer northern one on the main ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,663 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by thomashuang on 13/3/2009 at 19:30

Motorcycle hire in Huay Xia

Posted by craigl on 7/3/2009 at 11:16

Is it possible to rent a reliable motorcycle (of any type) in Huay Xia? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,522 times, with no replies.

Slow Boat scam

Posted by simonmobiledisco on 3/3/2009 at 10:25

Just arrived in Luang Prabeng and having a great time, a word of warning before leaving the first leg of the slwo boat run, our guide told loads of horror stories about the time it takes to get there. and saying pakbeng is rife with thieves and really expensive. Pakbeng was great and cheap, we got a nice double room for 100 baht, food was great and reasonable, free lao lao and good hosts. althought we did get hasled for weed and opium a lot. but nothing as bad as tuk tuk drivers. He also s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,149 times, with no replies.

Flying in to Vientiane and out again

Posted by ejwilson22 on 3/3/2009 at 05:16

I'm on a very short trip to Laos and am flying in to Vientiane with Air Asia from KL. Flight gets into Vientiane at 10.40 and then I want to catch the 11.50 plane straight to Luang Prabang. Really just wanted some thoughts on whether thats an easy transfer to make(immigration etc) or whether I should play safe and go for the 4ish plane? Quite tight flying back to Vientiane to get back to KL also. Are there many flight cancellations? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,891 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by agarlao on 3/3/2009 at 08:41

Sending Mail from Laos

Posted by tlm44 on 23/1/2009 at 08:36

I just wanted to let everyone know what happened to my box of souvenirs I sent home from Laos. The box was open and most of my stuff was taken. Interestingly enough it was all the stuff that had anything to do with the countries - had the name on it - tshirts, bracelets, scarves, my lonely planet (which was in there by accident), an $90.00 silk dress, I am not even sure what else. I sent it thru the official post office. Just a warning for everyone. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,614 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 2/3/2009 at 10:34

Hotel with pool in Luang Prabang

Posted by juliehartley on 28/2/2009 at 06:59

Can anyone recommend a hotel with a pool in Luang Prabang? Also, this may be a silly question, but is it typical to swim in the Mekong River? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,704 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 28/2/2009 at 16:41

Luang Nam Tha + moto

Posted by brucemoon on 23/2/2009 at 07:40

Hi Am interested to know if there is a moto hire outlet at Luang Nam Tha. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,786 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 25/2/2009 at 14:58

Kayaking in southern Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/2/2009 at 06:23

Here's a great video of a few kayakers getting out and about in Southern Laos. I'm trying to find out more details about where exactly they were kayaking, but the video is great! Better still, here it is embedded. Kayaking Laos 2008 from Kayak TV on Vimeo. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,906 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somsai on 25/2/2009 at 11:15

Pakbeng to luang prabang , The slow boat:?

Posted by chicho83 on 9/2/2009 at 04:33

Just wondering for all those people who have done the slowboat, what time does it normally leave pakbeng and what time does it normally arrive in luang prabang. Just fine tuning my itineray thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,047 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by miniwalk on 22/2/2009 at 19:05

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page