Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Green Discovery Kayaking from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

Posted by weiwei22 on 13/1/2009 at 21:59

I know Green Discovery offers this tour, but does anyone know if it is upstream or downstream? i.e. would it be easier or harder to kayak compared to going the other direction, i.e. VV to Vientiane? Also, how rough is the water? Would someone unable to swim find it scary? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,034 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by laos_info on 19/1/2009 at 13:08

Si Phan Don to Kratie?

Posted by chicho83 on 16/1/2009 at 17:54

I want to travel from one of the islands in Si Phan Don to kratie. Can anyone let me know whats the best island to leave from? is the border crossing by boat still open? and roughly how long does it take and how much? So many questions but would be great to get an idea :) thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,902 times, with no replies.

Pakse to Don Khon

Posted by chrispyrolls on 14/1/2009 at 19:58

Hi, What's the quickest way to get from Pakse to Don Khon? Bus or car (possible to hire with driver?) to Ban Nakasang, then boat?... what would be the total travel time would you say? I have read around 3.5 hours max for the road bit, and 15 mins on the boat... do those times still sound correct? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,909 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 16/1/2009 at 16:55

women travellers

Posted by allison20 on 10/1/2009 at 08:59

I'm new to solo travel, but I'm in Hanoi and want to spend a week / a few weeks travelling around Laos, and I'm going to go alone. I'd like to take the slow boat up the river from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, maybe rent a motorbike (I'm an experienced driver) and drive around and see the countryside. Should there be any concern about me as a girl doing these things alone? I have no clue, so I'd appreciate advice. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,567 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by allison20 on 16/1/2009 at 13:21

Wonder Land Internet Vang VIeng - have you heard of I have c harges on my Visa..

Posted by tlm44 on 16/1/2009 at 03:19

Has anyone heard of Wonder Land Internet in Vang Vieng I have a bunch of large charges on my Visa - 95, 68, I had internet at my hotel but the power kept going out so I could have gone on there... I can't think of anything else I would have spent that kind of money on... Tracy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,818 times, with no replies.

Weather in Feb?

Posted by chrispyrolls on 12/1/2009 at 03:09

Hi, Everytyhing is all booked now for the jaunt to Laos, arriving 9th and there for 2 weeks. Goin to be in Vientiane, LP and Nong Kiau and am looking around at some historical data on wunderground, etc - the temps on there (and here) say anything from mid 20s to low 30s... anyone been on those places at that time? Am I looking at nice warm days, with a cool evening? Given the Riverside in NK has heated blankets I am expecting there to be the coolest - would that be a fair assumption? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,798 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 15/1/2009 at 00:49

3 weeks in Laos for the solo traveller - suggested itinerary

Posted by saxomophone on 13/1/2009 at 12:40

Hi all, I'm heading to South East Asia for a 4 month trip covering Singapore, Malaysia (peninsula), Vietnam (HCMC and Mekong Delta only), Cambodia, Laos, China and Mongolia. My original plan was to cross over into Laos overland from Cambodia and work my way up through the country, beginning in the 4000 Islands and taking in Pakse, Tha Kaek and the Konglor Caves, Ventiane, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang (and probably more once I do more research!). But I am starting to think (with a lot o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,049 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 14/1/2009 at 15:32

Tailors in Vientiane

Posted by austral31 on 10/1/2009 at 09:53

Hi!! After spending a few days in Vientiane, I have noticed that there are a few tailors on one street in particular. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with any of them. There is nothing mentioned about it in my travel guide so any advice would be most helpful. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,859 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by austral31 on 13/1/2009 at 12:34

Luang Prabang to Hanoi Flights

Posted by beckym319 on 10/1/2009 at 22:44

Was just wondering whether it is worth booking flights from Luang Prabang to Hanoi ahead or if its just the same to get them a couple of days before once in in Luang Prabang? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,379 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by basejump on 12/1/2009 at 17:47

Increased Visa Charges.

Posted by Rufus on 3/1/2009 at 10:13

There has been an increas in visa charges which started on 1/1/2009. The following is paraphrased from the Vientiane Times: $2.00 extra. Tour companies will no longer be charged 5% profit tax to flow into the Tourism development Fund. Those who enter on a border pass will pay $1.00 ie Thailand, Viet, Cambo, Myanmar and China. Diplomatic, official or business travel will be exempt. Will come into effect on 1/1/2009 No visas required for Japan, Sth Korea, Russia and most Asean countries. Oth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,065 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 7/1/2009 at 05:29

Gibbon Experience

Posted by strutmisslizzie on 5/1/2009 at 11:26

I was reading up on this tour you can do in Northern Laos where you stay in Tree houses at canopy level and travel through the forest on zip lines. It sounds amazing and I was wondering if anyone had done it and what they thought? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,265 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Rufus on 5/1/2009 at 11:58

Flights from China

Posted by Lyoungie on 26/11/2008 at 15:12

Hi again, Thanks to all those who responded to my last post. I am convinced I want to go to Vientiane and/or Luang Prabang. I am traveling from Xiamen, China. I am afraid to travel to Bangkok because of the canceled flights. Does anyone have any affordable tips? I am looking to go Dec 20th. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,832 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chinabased on 5/1/2009 at 11:52

border crossing Dom Kralor-Voen Kham

Posted by akalawman on 4/1/2009 at 11:07

Hey there I am looking for some information on the border crossing from Cambodia to Laos. I am hoping to go from Stung Treng to Si Phan Don 4000 islands. It does not look like you can attain a Laos visa at this crossing. Can anybody let me know what the best way to do this is. I am hoping to go up to 4000 islands for a few days then return back to Camdodia. Any help is appreciated. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,659 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 5/1/2009 at 07:25

Accurate and conclusive info on Visa's

Posted by Flymarbles on 8/12/2008 at 04:43

I have found that the The U.S. Department of State's website is great for conclusive information on Entry Requirements. Someone had posted the website on this forum before, but I wanted to post it again because I had found it to be straight-to-the-point and accurate. Just thought I would be of some help. http://travel.state.gov/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,437 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 4/1/2009 at 16:42

Flights from HCM to Vientiane

Posted by ron67 on 30/12/2008 at 06:13

We can't seem to find Flights from HCM to Vientiane to book online. We also need Flight Schedules so we can book hotel in Vientiane. All information greatfully appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,681 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 1/1/2009 at 16:16

Prices in Luang Prabang

Posted by basejump on 29/12/2008 at 17:43

Hi there can you pls post some recent prices for purchases in LP (except for accomodation, as it is well covered in other posts). For example, how much for: a local guide for the day day trip to ... the waterfall, the elephant camp, the caves a city" tour a coffee a beer meals generally bkie hire you get the idea also, pls post any comments on whether prices vary much depending on the time of year. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,554 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Rufus on 30/12/2008 at 08:25

Airlines Vientiane to Luang Prabang

Posted by ron67 on 30/12/2008 at 06:17

What Airlines can we book online to get from Vientiane to LP? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,846 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Rufus on 30/12/2008 at 08:13

Biking from Vientiane to Buddha Park (Xieng Khuan)

Posted by mattcanter on 27/12/2008 at 17:26

Anyone ever ride a bicycle from Vientiane to the Buddha Park? I know it is about 20 km and the bus takes about 1 hour, but sounds like a great bike trip. Is it a difficult ride? We have not found a good map of the area. Is it easy to find the way? Also, any other recommendatiuons for longer bike rides around Vientiane? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,735 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 29/12/2008 at 09:37

Luang Prabang to Hanio overland options

Posted by basejump on 19/12/2008 at 17:59

hi there answers to the following questions would be appeaciated: 1. What is a realistic time to allow for this trip assuming no stops for sight seeing 2. Are there any regular buses that ply this route - can i buy one ticket and/or travel on one bus for the entire trip? 3. What are the options for this trip? Thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,233 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 29/12/2008 at 05:40

Laos trip itinerary. Please review and advice if needed

Posted by v_sokolov on 27/12/2008 at 20:15

Dear Laos experienced travelers, I am planing on doing a maximum 30 days trip in Laos starting around the middle of January. I am a temporary resident of China ( a student) so i am planing to enter in Laos from Kunming (Boten). Here it is my plan: 1.China Mengla - Luang Nam Tha 2.Luang Nam Tha - Udomxai 3.Udomxai - Muang Ngoi (have not figured out how exactly to get there but i guess there is a some way by boat). 4.Muang Ngoi - Phongsali 5.Phongsali - Nong Kiaow 6.Nong Kiaow - Luang P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,685 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/12/2008 at 05:39

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page