Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

malarials?

Posted by zajets on 22/11/2008 at 07:16

I am trying to decide to take malarials or not for our 4week trip to Laos. Docter in Holland says: yes Malarone all the way (and 1 month beyond). I keep hearing that in Germany docter says no; bring a small dose and take it if you get ill (and go to hospital quickly). Any Germans here who can confirm this and link to incredibly reliable (German) websites with this info? Because if the Germans think it is not neccesary to swallow the stuff, then we'll have no more discussion! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,890 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Cocodrilo on 28/11/2008 at 15:06

discovery airpass?

Posted by JJcookie on 3/10/2008 at 12:29

Anyone know where in Vientiene I can buy a discovery airpass?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,138 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 26/11/2008 at 10:13

Phongsali

Posted by kahrani on 20/11/2008 at 17:52

I'm going to Laos for about a month from mid-Feb to mid March and was thinking about going to Phongsali to do some trekking. Two questions really: 1) I'm a solo female traveller, will Phongsali be okay to go to on my own? 2) I'd really like to travel down the Nam Ou from Phongsali (well, Hat Sa)to Muang Ngoi and then down to Luang Prabang - but will this be possible at the end of Feb/start of March? I read that the river level could get quite low. Or should I skip Phongsali and just do ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,809 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paz_raveh on 25/11/2008 at 15:43

Naga of Mekong boat trip - Huay Xai to LP

Posted by lauraandmark on 25/9/2008 at 15:41

Hi, not sure if this should be in the slow boat thread..apologies if so. Has anyone booked or done this trip? Thanks Mark ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,350 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Yorick on 23/11/2008 at 16:12

Bus routes: Vientiane-Phonosvan-Luang Prabang

Posted by Ramblergirl on 21/11/2008 at 08:41

Hi, I am a bit confused about the above bus routes. I have read some posts (from all Forums) that there are busses between the towns, but when looking at the Phonosavan Travel - pages here, I cannot find any info for Phonosavan - Luang Prabang busses. Are there or are there not busses running between these towns? Is the Vientiane - Phososavan bus a direct bus, or do we need to go via Vang Vieng and change or stop there? Also I would like to know a time table for these routes if poss ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,839 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 22/11/2008 at 17:05

buy a bicycle in Vientiane

Posted by cellojoern on 18/11/2008 at 00:11

Hy, we wonder, if there is a possibility to buy a bicycle in Vientiane. We plan a 6-week tour to Laos and Cambodia and want to start from Vientiane to Luang Prabang by bicycle. What about costs and quality of the bikes? Thanks for answers, Jörn ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,201 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 21/11/2008 at 15:40

Boat from Huay Xi to Luang Nam Tha

Posted by martha2727 on 15/11/2008 at 03:19

Has anyone caught a boat north from Huay Xi to Luang Nam Tha? From my reading it seems there is no regular service and we will need to hire a boat. Any idea of cost and who we should contact. We will be going in early December so if anyone else is interested, let me know. It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful river journeys in Laos. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,285 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by martha2727 on 21/11/2008 at 04:29

Kasi

Posted by TheSnowQueen on 20/11/2008 at 21:38

Has anyone got any accommodation recommendations in Kasi, north of Vang Vieng? We're travelling by bike so it doesn't have to be 'mainstream' access. Also, not much listed in guidebooks for Phonsavan or Phou Khoun (along the road to Sam Neua. Any recommendations gratefully received! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,944 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by wanderingcat on 20/11/2008 at 22:38

visa and money

Posted by arieltarr on 23/10/2008 at 00:24

Hello, I was wondering what's the advantage of getting a Visa before arriving in Laos. I'm arriving on Dec. 27th at Luang Prabang airport. Does anyone know how long the wait to get a visa is at the airport? As well, how easy is it to find an ATM in Luang Prabang? What is the best way of getting money there? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,111 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 20/11/2008 at 11:48

Song Kran Festival - Accomodation in Luang Prabang

Posted by basejump on 19/11/2008 at 15:20

we will be traveling in Laos in Thailand and Cambodia will be Thai/Lao New Year season (10-18 April) - will this make traveling/sightseeing difficult? How busy does it get? Does transport etc stop? Will we need to book guesthouse in advance? what was it like last year? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,885 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/11/2008 at 07:35

Laos in 1 week

Posted by Lyoungie on 13/11/2008 at 16:26

Hi, I am interested in going to Laos for one week. I was thinking of editing the 2 week agenda to fit my schedule. The suggestions were: 1) Vientiane -> Vang Vieng (stunning scenery, backpacker scene) 2) Vang Vieng -> Phonsavan (Plain of Jars) 3) Phonsavan -> Luang Prabang (stunning scenery, temples, riverside town) 4)Luang Prabang -> Muang Ngoi (small town, riverside setting, backpacker scene) 5) Muang Ngoi -> Udomxai (temple, waterfalls) 6) Udomxai -> Luang Nam Tha (trekking, eco-to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,780 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by rossville69 on 19/11/2008 at 10:48

Laos to cambodia through four thousand islands

Posted by josh4321 on 15/11/2008 at 19:44

How and what is the best route to take from vang vieng to cambodia through the four thousand islands?? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,718 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 18/11/2008 at 07:15

luang prabang from chiang mai

Posted by rhess106 on 16/11/2008 at 00:20

I am going to be travelling in Thailand and Laos later this month. I arrive in Bangkok on November 29th and will make my way north through Ayutthaya, Sukhothai/Phitsanulok, and Chiang Mai. From there, I'd like to fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, stay a few days, then fly to Vientiane or Bangkok on the way back. I'd like to wait until a couple of days before flying to book the Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang and LP to Bangkok legs of the trip. I'm hoping to have some flexibility to get to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,364 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eljefe on 17/11/2008 at 06:50

gibbon experience - where?

Posted by fishtails04 on 4/3/2008 at 09:48

i keep hearing about the gibbon experience but i can't figure out where it is or how to get there...anyone help? cheers fishtails ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,368 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by immi on 14/11/2008 at 19:18

Amazing Space Amazing Grace.New mid level accomodation .Luang Prabang Laos.

Posted by simonrackleft on 14/11/2008 at 15:49

Amazing Space Amazing Grace By a serious of fortunate incidents I have just had five days at a soon- to- be opened hotel named (not so fortunately) Le Bel Air. The name though is the only unfortunate thing about the place....the rest gets a ten out of ten rating. Location.....right on a sizeable river near its junction with the Mekong in Luang Prabang Laos ....no roads just lawn then picket fence then water.Its probably the world's only tranquil two hectare rural location in the centre of a ci ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,156 times, with no replies.

Don Dhet transport from Pakse

Posted by bunny81 on 14/11/2008 at 01:08

Hi all, my husband and I arrive in Pakse early January on a flight which arrives in at 10am. Is it easy to then get a bus straight to Nankasang and the boat to Don Dhet? Times, prices would be great! Trying to work out how soon we could get there as we only have 3 nights to spend on Don Dhet. Then, returning from Don Dhet, our flight leaves Pakse at 11.45am, i guess we have to check in at 10.45am. Is this enough time to get from Don Dhet to Pakse airport? Thanks for any info!! ;-) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,054 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by bunny81 on 14/11/2008 at 05:37

flying to and around Laos

Posted by doharez on 29/10/2008 at 13:52

Hi, I'm in the process of booking flights, but am getting price quotes higher than I expected. I was wondering if anyone has booked recently and done better than this: Bangkok to Luang Prabang $187/Bangkok Air, LP to Vientiane $79/Lao Air, and Vientiane to Bangkok $173/Lao & $274/Thai. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,902 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by doharez on 9/11/2008 at 22:48

Flights to Luang Prabang from Vietnam?

Posted by halu on 21/8/2006 at 10:57

I'm gonna be in this area in November, and I'm just wondering about the easiest way to get from Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City to Luang Prabang. I looked at the Lao Airlines sight a few weeks ago, and direct flights were listed, but I looked tonight and there were no flights to anywhere in Laos from Saigon/HCM. Apparently Hanoi is shut down for an APEC conference when we arrive in Vietnam, so we can't go through there. We're only going to have a few days to spend in the area, and would prefer a di ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,745 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by crambow on 8/11/2008 at 17:50

Pakse Boat

Posted by Tilapia on 29/10/2008 at 21:59

Does anyone know if the inexpensive boat still goes to Champasak? And, if so, is it possible to take it from Champasak back to Pakse? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,196 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 7/11/2008 at 04:26

Laos Itinerary - would you change anything?

Posted by chrispyrolls on 2/11/2008 at 06:30

Hi, After much deliberation and changing, the next jaunt is to Laos (it was Thailand but don't ask!!) - below is the plan so far, I think it's lookin good, but any input would be appreciated - thanks Vientiane (pm) Vientiane Vang Vien Vang Vien Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau - Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Luang Prabang - Vientiane As you can see we are using Nong Kiau as a base ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,856 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 4/11/2008 at 01:34

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page