Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Flights to Luang Prabang from Vietnam?

Posted by halu on 21/8/2006 at 10:57

I'm gonna be in this area in November, and I'm just wondering about the easiest way to get from Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City to Luang Prabang. I looked at the Lao Airlines sight a few weeks ago, and direct flights were listed, but I looked tonight and there were no flights to anywhere in Laos from Saigon/HCM. Apparently Hanoi is shut down for an APEC conference when we arrive in Vietnam, so we can't go through there. We're only going to have a few days to spend in the area, and would prefer a di ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,684 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by crambow on 8/11/2008 at 17:50

Pakse Boat

Posted by Tilapia on 29/10/2008 at 21:59

Does anyone know if the inexpensive boat still goes to Champasak? And, if so, is it possible to take it from Champasak back to Pakse? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,129 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 7/11/2008 at 04:26

Laos Itinerary - would you change anything?

Posted by chrispyrolls on 2/11/2008 at 06:30

Hi, After much deliberation and changing, the next jaunt is to Laos (it was Thailand but don't ask!!) - below is the plan so far, I think it's lookin good, but any input would be appreciated - thanks Vientiane (pm) Vientiane Vang Vien Vang Vien Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau Nong Kiau - Luang Prabang Luang Prabang Luang Prabang - Vientiane As you can see we are using Nong Kiau as a base ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,806 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 4/11/2008 at 01:34

contact details for Pakse Travel agency (in Pakse)

Posted by notayummymummy on 2/11/2008 at 20:47

Anyone have contact details for Pakse Travel agency (in Pakse!). They are mentioned n a previous post as having good minivans with driver, but I can't find contact details. Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,347 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by notayummymummy on 3/11/2008 at 18:20

getting to Luang Namtha /Muang Sing/maybe Huay Xai from Luang Prabang

Posted by mudgeerambler on 3/11/2008 at 07:29

Any tips on getting to above . Has anyone ever flown to Luang Namtha from LP or is it best to overland? I notice an airport there on the map . Also I take it that the Gibbon Experience are very difficult to contact , as several emails have gone unanswered . Any ideas ?? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,442 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by matylda on 3/11/2008 at 11:04

New Year (31st December) in Laos

Posted by fcp05 on 2/11/2008 at 11:09

Hey Everyone! My friend and I are going to be in Laos for New Year and I was wondering if anyone has advice on where would be best to spend it...Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang or somewhere else? Also, any accommodation recommendations would be a great help! Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,499 times, with no replies.

Luang Prabangs Phusi Mountain WARNING!

Posted by bowdie4733 on 12/7/2007 at 18:03

Upon our assent of Luang Prabangs Beautiful Mountain top Temple and spectacular viewing point of Mount Phousi we were approached by " Tribes Women" selling the cruel trade of release for profit of imprisoned birds in the tiniest of cages, so small that they cannot span their wings. Again at the top of the Mountain we were approached. We told these sellers in a calm non condecending manner of how cruel this practice is and the immorality it holds. The famous " Laoation Smile" quickly dimini ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,261 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by riverspot on 2/11/2008 at 02:20

That Luong festival and accomodation

Posted by rossville69 on 30/10/2008 at 09:19

Hello all, I'm arriving in Vientiane on 4 Nov, and from what I gather the That Luong Festival is from 3-9 Nov. Does anybody know if getting accommodation is likely to be a problem? It isn't mentioned anywhere I've seen, but that would seem logical... Any suggestions on good budget places where I can reliably book online/over the phone? Thanks, Julian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,607 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by rossville69 on 31/10/2008 at 21:29

Hanoi to Vientiane via Luang Prabang and Vang Veing

Posted by southafrican on 31/10/2008 at 00:52

Hi, I'm wondering if I can catch a bus from Hanoi to Luang Prabang (to see Tat Kuang Si)? How long will this bus ride take? From Luang Prabang is it possible to catch a bus to Vang Vieng? From Vang Vieng, is it possible to catch a bus to Vientiane? and how long will this bus ride take? Thanks as always for the great help!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,159 times, with no replies.

Cambodia to Loas to Thailand....Help....

Posted by jimmychalthorpe on 25/10/2008 at 20:32

Hi, We will be traveling from Cambodia, north into Loas. Any ideas on where it is best to enter Laos? We wont have a visa, so we will need to get one at the border. We plan to travel north through Laos up to Luang Pharabang. From here we want to get to Thailand. What is the best route? This is our first time traveling, so we really have no idea what we are doing!! Help... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,479 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 26/10/2008 at 18:18

Phonsali in Jan/Feb 2009

Posted by beagle316 on 24/10/2008 at 16:42

Hi, I will be spending most of January and February in remote villages in Northern Laos. I expect to be in the districts of Khua and Samphan and staying most of the time with local people in their homes. I was wondering whether anyone can recommend what sleeping bag (in terms of temperature rating) I should bring with me. I understand that most of the time the rating provided on the bag is the absolute minimum and most people would not want to be in the bag at that temperature but if ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,905 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by mattocmd on 25/10/2008 at 11:41

Little bit of Laos

Posted by mic59 on 24/10/2008 at 16:58

I came over here for a 6-week Thailand holiday, when I was in Pai a travel agent talked me into taking a river trip to Luang Prabang. At the moment I am in Soppong, i intend to leave Pai on 27/10 to go to Huay Xiai. Can anyone tell me where else would be a good idea to go in Laos and how much money I would need? I'm staying in 300 baht gh's in Thailand and I wouldn't want to stay longer than about 4 days in Laos as there were still a few places in Thailand I wanted to visit. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,324 times, with no replies.

Sensouk Guest House

Posted by mudgeerambler on 23/10/2008 at 09:24

Quick one.Thinking of staying here on arrival in LP > Saw on a couple of other sites that stealing (ie removing items from rooms) happens a bit too much here . Any comments ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,149 times, with no replies.

tubing in vang vieng

Posted by TheBarang on 9/5/2008 at 05:31

This is probably a ridiculous question. I hear tubing is very popular in Vang Vieng. Would love to partake, but is there any need to be concerned about water parasites in that river? I'm assuming it's safe since so many people do it, but I don't want to end up with any uninvited guests in my pores! Anyone had any problems? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,549 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 23/10/2008 at 07:38

Hanoi to Vientiane by bus

Posted by choirboy on 21/10/2008 at 14:20

Hi all, I realize there has been a bit written about this, but haven't found anything recently and things can change quickly here in Asia so I thought i would ask. Has anyone taken one of the direct buses from Hanoi to Vientiane recently? I've read some nightmare reports, but am surprised that there isn't at least one legit operation running now. Does anyone know of any companies doing a reasonable service now? If the direct bus is simply guaranteed to be a disaster does anyone have a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,149 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 22/10/2008 at 10:29

Pakse - anyone joining on a trekking trip?

Posted by sparklingfrog on 21/10/2008 at 22:04

Hi, is anyone interested in joining one of the guided trekking trips into the area around Pakse this week? (The more join, the less expensive it will be...) Regards Robert ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,543 times, with no replies.

14 days in North Laos -where to go

Posted by geneluck on 6/10/2008 at 04:29

I am travelling to Laos 2 weeks arriving in Vientiane , leaving 2 weeks later from Luang prabang to Hanoi (plane). Any suggestion of where to go, besides Vientiane , Luang prabang. thanks for any suggestion ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,591 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/10/2008 at 07:18

Mr Boun Hom - Don Dhet bungalows

Posted by bunny81 on 19/10/2008 at 15:45

Hi all, we've looked through the list of guesthouses on travelfish for Don Dhet and like the look of this one: MR Boun Hom. Does anyone know how to book them, eg email address? I'm guessing these places wouldn't have websites! We are travelling in January and would prefer to book before we get there. Also, does anyone have any reviews on this place? We're basically looking for a bungalow in good location with private not shared bathroom. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,739 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/10/2008 at 07:17

Cross from Thailand to Laos in Rental Car?

Posted by zoewest on 16/10/2008 at 15:24

Hi, I live in Chiang Mai, and I'd like to take a road trip to Vientiane. Is it possible to cross the border in a rental car, or would I have to leave the car on the Thai side? Thanks for any advice! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,895 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by agarlao on 19/10/2008 at 08:05

Day trip to Pak Ou Caves

Posted by angie69 on 9/10/2008 at 00:25

will be in Luang Prabang end Oct. Any advice on what is the best way to visit Pak Ou Caves? read that we can make our own way to Pak Ou Caves with less than 100,000 kip or better to go through tour company. However, found on internet, day trips organised by tour company costing about US$50. Any way to remove the hassle of making own transport yet can do it at lower cost? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,531 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by 33bennett on 18/10/2008 at 16:17

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page