Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Buying furniture in Vientiane

Posted by swag on 1/12/2007 at 09:38

Hi all, my wife and I will be in Vientiane mid march next year. Was wondering if anyone has had experience buying pieces of Laotian furniture there and having it shipped back to their own country.Obviously shipping and insurance is of concern. Does anyone know of any reputable traders there. Regards ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,507 times, with no replies.

Getting to the North from Huay Xai

Posted by Mi on 26/11/2007 at 23:14

I like to spend most of my 4 weeks in Northern Laos.The trekking possibilities sound fantastic. Comming from Bangkok is our best bet to bus to Chiang Rai then bus to Chiong Khong? Any suggestions on things to avoid or especially recommend would be greatly appreciated.Transport is my biggest worry. Also WHAT IS THE BEST way to get from Huay Xai to Luang Nam Tha - Muang Sing - Muang Long- Pongsali. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,840 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somsai on 29/11/2007 at 10:58

March Air Travel in Laos

Posted by ozscott on 2/11/2007 at 17:37

Hi TT'ers, I'll be in Laos next March for 2.5 weeks. I have been trying to organise an Laos Discovery Air Pass with much difficulty. All the flights I want to do are with Laos Airlines (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientiane - Pakse - Siem Reap). Bangkok Airways and Siem Reap Airways don't want to know me! I have tried to contact Laos Airlines (both in Laos and regional offices) on numerous occassions by email with no response, and local travel agents (regional NSW) are clueless about terms, co ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,573 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by jesseroth on 28/11/2007 at 04:26

Fly Laos Air Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by zaphodes on 27/11/2007 at 06:24

I sent the message below to the advertised email address and received a bounce message because the mail box is full. I guess the spammers have mad the mail not worth checking :( Can anyone help with answers? ZB I want to fly Vientiane to Hanoi around 23 or 24 December 2007 I have seen your web page http://www.laoairlines.com/airfare_new_i.html It says the fares " Effective from 31 Mar 2007 to 28 Oct 2007" It also says "1. All fare and condition are suject to change witho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,875 times, with no replies.

Transport rates: taxi, shared taxi and tuk-tuk?

Posted by Harry05 on 24/11/2007 at 23:35

Are there more or less typical rates for transport by taxi or shared taxi? Per kilometer of units of time? Is there something like a tuk-tuk in Laos? Thanx answering. Harry ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,168 times, with no replies.

Travel North to South

Posted by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 05:57

Hi TF'ers... Below is my itinerary for Laos next March (also doing Vietnam & Cambodia). I am flying Laos internally (Hanoi - Luang Prabang - Vientianne - Pakse - Siem Reap). I know I'm on the tourist trail - but whats the itinerary look like? Day 1 Fly Hanoi / Luang Prabang Day 2-6 Luang Prabang Day 7 Fly Luang Prabang / Vientane Day 8-10 Vientiane Day 11 Fly Vientiane / Pakse Day 12 Pakse Day 13 Pakse / Don Khong (bus ride) Day 14-16 Don Khong Day 17 Don Khong / Pakse ( ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,507 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ozscott on 19/11/2007 at 06:44

Trekking Guide in Luang Prabang

Posted by squong on 17/11/2007 at 19:30

Anyone have suggestions for a good English speaking guide in Luang Prabang that could take us trekking and perhaps some homestays in the ethnic villages. I would prefer to hire a person rather than go through a company. (FYI, many people have recommended Green Discovery as a good company.) Thanks in advance. Spencer squong@yahoo.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,258 times, with no replies.

Visa on arrival

Posted by realalaskan on 17/11/2007 at 02:24

I have seen information online that says 30 day visa is now (as of October '07) available on arrival. Official websites still refer to 15 day visa on arrival. Can anyone provide me with first hand information? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,681 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by realalaskan on 17/11/2007 at 05:12

Trekking Location and Guide recommendation in Laos

Posted by squong on 15/10/2007 at 11:14

Hi, I'm looking at going trekking/homestay in Northern Laos and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good location off the beaten path, and a good guide (person rather than a travel company) to take us there. I think Travelfish mentioned, Phongsali and Luang Nam Tha. I'm the type of traveler with the philosophy of the farther away from the tourist crowds, the better. Thanks in advance. Spencer ~Q ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,307 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 15/11/2007 at 08:57

12 days in Laos

Posted by Aishas on 12/11/2007 at 17:50

Hi every body! I'm new here around and I had a look to some posts on travelling through Laos, since I'm planning my journey there. It would be in Feb 2008, more or less 12 days. So, there are so many things I'd like to be given advice on. 1) Is february a festival time, apart from the chinese New Year? are accomodations fully booked that time? 2) Any suggestion about Champasak? is it worthy? my idea should be to fly in to Pakse (lonely planet says it's an international airport, but I ha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,937 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Aishas on 14/11/2007 at 16:26

Tiger Lilly Resort - Phou Khao Khouay National Park

Posted by carenw on 8/10/2007 at 08:54

Hi there - has anyone stayed in this lodge or heard anything about it? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,085 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Butch on 9/11/2007 at 14:24

Tigertrails

Posted by befree on 3/10/2007 at 16:05

Just thinking of booking a tour through tigertrails. They are requesting prepayment into a bank account. Not sure if this is safe. I am wondering if anyone else has done this? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,088 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by befree on 8/11/2007 at 05:28

Asking for passport details before travel for tourist police??

Posted by chinhead on 1/11/2007 at 18:43

Hi I have booked a 3 day stay at the Elephant lodge in Luang Prabang, they have emailed us asking for our passport details for the tourist police?? Is this the norm, sorry to ask but I have no idea if i should give it or not!? Hope you can help Thanks in advance Neill ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,503 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by goo_stewart on 3/11/2007 at 13:49

Getting to Huay Xai

Posted by shrutisumaria on 30/10/2007 at 23:46

Does anyone know how to get here from Luang Prabang? is there a flight? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,163 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somsai on 1/11/2007 at 18:41

Laos Airlines Air Pass - Still Wondering?

Posted by ozscott on 1/11/2007 at 13:54

Hi again TF'ers... Sorry to ask again, but who has used the Laos Airlines AirPass, and how did you book it? I'm travelling SE Asia next Mar/Apr and want to use Laos Airlines Air Pass for: Hanoi to Lubang Prabang Lubang Prabang to Vientiane Vientiane to Paske Paske to Siem Reap Help me please with your experiences if you have used this service previously... I don't want to travel by road (not enough time) and this air pass seems the way to go - please respond. Greatly appreciate ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,387 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by oliverb on 1/11/2007 at 14:33

Getting from Luang Prabang/Vientiane to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh

Posted by byrie on 28/10/2007 at 10:07

Hellooo Just trying to suss out the best (and cheapest) way to get from either Luang Prabang or Vientiane to Cambodia. If i'm wanting to fly, it looks like the options (Lao Airlines, Bangkok Air) are not overly cheap - the cheapest flight i've seen is about US$150....does this sound about right? Can anyone recommend a cheaper flight, or method of transport? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,982 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by srsdj on 1/11/2007 at 04:48

flying from hanoi to Luang Prabang

Posted by crooper on 27/10/2007 at 15:07

Hi, i was just wondering of the ease of booking a flight in Hanoi to Luang Prabang during peak season. Il be in Hanoi from the 30nov to 4dec, and hoping to fly to Luang Prabang on the 5th december. Will i be able to just go to a travel agent in Hanoi and book my flight easily, or is there a good chance of the flights being booked out Any reputable travel agents ud recommend? cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,617 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/10/2007 at 14:14

boat from Luang Prabang to Thai border

Posted by stevebeag on 20/10/2007 at 22:48

Hi I'm trying to find information about the boat trip from LP to the border. I am interested in obtaining info for either a 1 or 2 day trip. What days of the week do they leave and any idea of costs etc Regards ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,625 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ich40 on 25/10/2007 at 18:18

Coffee in Laos (and cambodia)?

Posted by kaffecalle on 19/9/2007 at 03:02

Does anyone know how to get to coffeeplantations in Laos (and cambodia)? Are there anymore than the one on the Bolaven plateau? How do I get there? Thank you! Carl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,045 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by kaffecalle on 25/10/2007 at 13:43

Saisombun & Long Cheng

Posted by korndamned on 24/10/2007 at 12:17

1. Anybody has any idea whether travellers are now allowed to visit these 2 places? 2. Are there operators willing to bring travellers there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,034 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by korndamned on 25/10/2007 at 07:37

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page