Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Best mode of transport for a solo traveller

Posted by zohe on 12/4/2007 at 14:06

Dear season travellers, I'm a new solo traveller from Singapore. There is a travel pass offer by one of the ticket agent here. I am very tempted to buy & fly across vietnam, laos & cambodia. however, may i know if flying is one of the best option? what if i'm not in a hurry. my reason to take flight is to avoid possible risk hazzled while crossing the borders. am i worrying too much? buying the pass may save some cost, but i'm afraid it will make my trip highly inflexible if i decide to ta ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,703 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/4/2007 at 18:19

Gibbon Experience website, email & phone down...

Posted by canucksinasia on 6/4/2007 at 17:07

Hello, It seems to me that the website, email and phone number for the Gibbon Experience in Laos are all down - does anyone have any information about this? Has anyone been there recently? I'm trying to contact them as we plan on being there in a week, but have been completely unable to no matter what method I try. Thanks, CanucksinAsia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,601 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by canucksinasia on 11/4/2007 at 18:45

Visa At Chiang Khong or Huay Xai

Posted by fragility22 on 3/4/2007 at 21:22

Is it possible to get a visa at either Chiang Kong or Huay Xai on arrival or do I need to organise this beforehand, if I can get one on arrival how long does it take? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,176 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 3/4/2007 at 21:33

Bribes

Posted by Birsay on 25/3/2007 at 18:37

We leave for Vientiane on 31-3 and have heard varying stories about the need for bribes at entry/exit points. Has anyone had experiences of this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,811 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somsai on 30/3/2007 at 23:48

Travelfish Guide to Remote southern Laos added

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/3/2007 at 08:06

We've just added another Travelfish Guide to our small collection of PDF guides to the region. The latest one is to a bit of an unusual, off-the-beaten-track region we call "Remote southern Laos". The 11 page PDF guide covers the provinces of Salavan, Sekong and Attapeu, includes five maps, over 50 detailed listings for accommodation, restaurants, bars, sights and attractions and all up some 15,000 words of travel intelligence to the region. All that for a paltry US$2.95 -- less than $1 a pro ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,408 times, with no replies.

Dong Phu Vieng NPA

Posted by sugarplum on 8/2/2007 at 18:57

Has anyone visited this place on a guided tour? If so is it worth going to and how much was it? We are thinking of going tomorrow so quick responses appreciated. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,598 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ezywalker on 13/3/2007 at 23:17

Don't Trust Lao Airlines

Posted by merrylg on 12/2/2007 at 04:10

We had a really bad experience with Lao Airlines and will never use them again. Aside from the fact that it is very difficult to arrange a booking, they extorted an additional $35 US per ticket. Originally, they told us the Bangkok to Luang Prabang flight would be $235 US (round-trip). They asked for half now and half the day of the flight. They charged us half up-front but in EURO at a rate that equaled $135/ticket (not $117.50). We tried to explain this in advance and they said: "not to worry, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,924 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by TheSnowQueen on 13/3/2007 at 21:31

Two route options

Posted by drutherford on 12/3/2007 at 12:04

Hi I was wondering if anyone had done either of the following two overland routes, and if so approximately how long will they take (including enough time in each main place to see a few touristy things)? 1. Vientiane - Paksan - Phonsavan - Sam Nua 2. Vang Vienne - Phonsavan - Sam Nua I'm especially interested in the first option as it allows us to do a loop, as we are coming from Chiang Mai via the normal tourist route of HX, LP, VV. However, I am unsure about the Paksan - Phonsava ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,561 times, with no replies.

Car hire in Laos??

Posted by melissakelly on 11/3/2007 at 12:13

I'm travelling to Laos in June with one other person. As we have limited time I was thinking that it might be an idea to hire a car with a driver to take us from Luang Prabang to Sam Nuea over a few days. The plan is then to travel through to Hanoi. Does anyone know - If it is possible? How much it would cost per day? Where to hire from in L. P? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,432 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 11/3/2007 at 16:28

Phonsavan to Vientiane

Posted by Jomcevoy on 6/3/2007 at 14:11

Hi all, I'm wanting to know if its possible to fly from Phonsavan to Vientiane. If so, how much and who do I book with. I know there is a bus (which I would rather take!) but due to time constraints and other people travelling with me, trying to see if we can fly! Thanks very much, cheers, Jo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,602 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by exacto on 7/3/2007 at 03:12

Laos - How cold is it?

Posted by drutherford on 1/3/2007 at 20:03

Hi everyone, I've read a few trip reports now where people have said it can get really cold in Laos (in particular on boat journeys and buses). How cold is it in May/June? Do we need heavy duty jackets etc or can we get away with long sleeved shirts or fleeces? Cheers Debbie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,613 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by kimley on 4/3/2007 at 14:17

Odd prices for Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights

Posted by lioninzion on 18/2/2007 at 21:53

Howdy all, I wondered if anyone could shed some light on the peculiarly large differences in prices for one-way flights between Bangkok and Luang Prabang. Bangkok Airways' website quotes the lowest price as 7750 baht ($232), including all taxes. The Lao Airlines wesbite (the real one, not the cheeky Paris travel agency imposters) quotes Bangkok-Luang Prabang flights for 4000 baht ($120). This seems like a ludicrously large difference. Can Lao Airlines really be that much ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,296 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rplunkett71 on 21/2/2007 at 20:01

Trying to get from Udon Thani Airport Thailand to the Laos visa checkpoint

Posted by chris1dna on 1/12/2006 at 20:24

I am traveling to Luang Prabong in Laos. How is best to reach Lao Visa checkpoint at Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai from the Udon Thani Airport? Is there a bus service catering to travelers who need to get to Laos from the Airport perhaps? Any help would be great! Happy Traveling. Sawasdee, Chris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,752 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Butch on 21/2/2007 at 10:18

Luang Probang to Chang Mai

Posted by ifoy6240 on 2/12/2006 at 18:56

Hi! We're travelling from Luang Probang to Chang Mai next month. It seems most people travel that in the other direction. Is it possible to take the slow boat and bus this way? Has anyone travelled this way or has any recommendations? Thanks, Ilana ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,854 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by ifoy6240 on 19/2/2007 at 17:32

Rocket festival & Visahka

Posted by buddym on 19/2/2007 at 15:02

Does anyone know which day the Rocket Festival and Visakha will be celebrated in Luang Prabang? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,854 times, with no replies.

Luang Prabang Travel agent problems

Posted by robyn on 18/2/2007 at 13:30

We have just returned from 17 days in Laos and I felt I should warn other travellers to be careful when booking through travel agents that they get what they pay for. As there were 4 of us travelling together we decided to book a car and driver to take us from Luang Prabang to the Plain of Jars. The agent we approached had a young English speaking university student who helped us and suggested he could also organise an English speaking guide to take us and show us around the Plain of Jars. As we ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,184 times, with no replies.

Vanvisa Guesthouse - Luang Prabang

Posted by canucksinasia on 15/2/2007 at 01:54

Hello! Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Vanvisa Guesthouse in Luang Prabang? The same woman that owns this one also has one called Villa Lane Xang Guesthouse. From what I've seen on the internet ( Van Visa ) the place looks very nice, well located, and inexpensive... In short, too good to be true!!! If anyone has stayed their and can shed some objective light on the place I would be quite grateful! James & Lindsay CanucksinAsia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,013 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by canucksinasia on 18/2/2007 at 05:16

How to get to Phongsali

Posted by Kurl on 1/2/2007 at 07:57

Hi, I have recently discovered that Lao Air has cancelled their Vientiane to Phongsali flight. I will be travelling in June for a month and wanted to fly directly to Phongsali so I didn't need to back track etc. Any suggestions of how to get there?? A flight to another city and bus it? Thanks Kurl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,928 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by joosh on 16/2/2007 at 11:20

On my own

Posted by Jomcevoy on 7/2/2007 at 11:55

Hi all. I'm hoping to be able to travel to Laos and Cambodia for 3-4 weeks in April-May this year. I'd be doing this bit before meeting up with people in the USA. For this part though, I will be a woman travelling by myself. I haven't done any travel before either, so I am a little unsure about it. I'm also on a fairly tight budget! My idea at present is to land in Bangkok, bus/train from their to Chian Kong, enter Laos, travel down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, on to Vientiane, then down to t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,593 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Jomcevoy on 16/2/2007 at 10:14

Bangkok to Laos border

Posted by Jomcevoy on 8/2/2007 at 13:45

Hi. Just wondering if I arrive in Bangkok how easy it will be to get an overnight bus to Chiang Kong, to then travel into Laos and get the 2 day boat down to Luang Prabang. Will be doing so by myself too. Cheers! jo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,297 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by buzz129 on 14/2/2007 at 04:53

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page