Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

6 days in Laos - what do you think?

Posted by maaravi on 24/9/2006 at 20:30

hi we're a group of 5 friend going to Laos for 6 days in the begining of January. We only have 6 days and we want to travel through north Laos. We planned the following itinerary - we would love to read what you think of it. We describe our itinerary below - our questions are between **. - we intend to rent a 4X4 vehicle for the entire 6 days. - we intend to stay 1 night in each place. day 1: arrive in vientiane, take car, head to Vang Vieng (2 hours) - in Vang Vieng: river rafting, ri ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,137 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by petervienna on 12/10/2006 at 17:57

Chaing Rai to Huay Xai ...how

Posted by flashwoollysocks on 6/10/2006 at 12:38

G'day, 9 of us are wanting to travel next week from Chiang Rai airport across to Huay Xai .... what's the most interesting way ...or whats possible and what should we pay? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,493 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by petervienna on 12/10/2006 at 17:44

Orphanage or children's NGO in Luang Prabang?

Posted by Asiawithkids on 5/10/2006 at 11:20

We're planning a trip to Luang Prabang in November with our daughters, ages 3 and 6. We'd like to do some volunteer work or take supplies to an orphanage, school, or children's service organization while there. Can anybody point us in the right direction? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,435 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by petervienna on 12/10/2006 at 17:38

Ive never been to Laos

Posted by michelleusher on 18/9/2006 at 21:24

but I have been to thailand...Iam planning on being in north Thailand for xmas and new year then crossing over to Laos. Would you suggest allowing a month to travel through? Iam in SEA for 3 months in total and on a budget. Is Loas a lot cheaper than Thailand? Can anyone put Laos in a nutshell? Iam very excited to go....... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,885 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by petervienna on 12/10/2006 at 17:31

Lao Orchid Hotel Vientiane

Posted by fiatpug on 10/10/2006 at 18:19

Has anyone stayed here? Details on travelfish for email keep rejecting and phone appears to be not available. Can someone let me know better contact details as it looks great. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,279 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 10/10/2006 at 18:41

Ancient luang prabang hotel

Posted by FabDiva on 30/9/2006 at 22:40

Has any one stayed here - it is quite new I think. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,119 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BooMcC on 8/10/2006 at 02:16

Want to avoid the Tourist circuit ?- Had a great individual tour in Luang Prabang

Posted by mshakinhips on 5/10/2006 at 11:17

Having been on one tour to the Pak Ou caves and being herded like sheep, on and off boats, in and out of temples, caves, villages etc, met by locals sellling the usual sounvenirs, I was keen to see the city as I wanted to and away from the usual tourist circuit and crowds! I stayed at a great Guest House - Chantonome, Off Ounkham Road and a guy working there was very helpful, answering all my queries about what to see and do, which led to hime unforcefully he offered to tailor make a cycle ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,813 times, with no replies.

Chang Mai to Luang Prabang Overland

Posted by steiny on 2/10/2006 at 05:05

We want to travel overland from Chang Mai to Luang Prabang during December, allowing three or so days. Is this a realistic timescale, allowing for the best route and stop-offs? Once you've crossed the border, how long is the boat trip from to Luang Prabang? What are the must-sees on the way? Any advice on the route would be welcome, thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,123 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 4/10/2006 at 17:31

ANYONE IN LUANG PREBANG ???

Posted by willywillsh on 2/10/2006 at 15:24

hi in need of half an hour of someones time who is in Luang Prebang at the moment as i suspect that i have left my 1 meg memory card which is full of photos in the guesthouse i was staying at.. the problem is the name of the place has escaped me and i am in Vang Vieng. thus not being able to get the phone number and call them..... If anyone would be so kind to help me out i would greatly appreciate it and definitely reimburse you for your kindness.. if you are in a position to help me i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,701 times, with no replies.

Money Money Money

Posted by messej01 on 25/9/2006 at 17:58

My husband and I will be travelling through Laos in Dec/Jan 06/07 for approx 4 weeks and after reading guidebooks etc think we should be taking some US$ cash, mostly US$ travellers cheques and some Thai Baht cash. I travelled through S.America using a debit card and so am not used to carrying large amounts of cash. Basically my questions are: 1. do flashpacker guesthouses have safes (presumably if we go swimming etc we need to leave the loot somewhere)? 2. Is it safe carrying around lots of US ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,290 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 1/10/2006 at 08:08

Clothing

Posted by amz155 on 30/9/2006 at 01:31

Will be in Laos/Cambodia from late Feb to late March. I know this is the hot/dry season so I am wondering if we need to bring long pants/long sleeves. Planning just to bring the bare minimum i.e. one of each to protect us from super-cold buses/rooms and mozzies and to throw in instances when legs and shoulders should be covered. Rest of the time will be wearing capris and skirts and t-shirts. Will these suffice? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,064 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by amz155 on 30/9/2006 at 20:10

Visa for border crossing thailand to Laos (nongkhai)

Posted by dbp92503 on 27/9/2006 at 12:18

I will travel to Thailand and then crossing border at NongKhai. Please anyone tell me , is it difficult to get Laos Visa at border. Thank ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,460 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by russellb on 30/9/2006 at 10:26

Hey Exacto

Posted by marianwarren on 12/9/2006 at 08:58

What did you use for cushioning on the bus from LP - Vang Vieng - Vientiane? I hear it's pretty bouncey. Regards Marian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,558 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 28/9/2006 at 04:16

Arriving in early November

Posted by LancasterLad on 13/9/2006 at 16:43

Hi everyone. I'll be arriving in Vientiane on 7 November with my wife and brother (all early 50s). Our plan is to stay in Vientiane for about 3 nights, and then catch the the bus to Viang Vieng. We'll stay there for 3 nights and then continue on to Luang Prabang for a while. Our nightly budget for accommodation is up to a maximum of $25 a night for a single or double. I'd be very grateful for the following info: Are the ThongBay G/H in Vientiane and Luang Prabang the best VFM places to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,502 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by rayc101 on 26/9/2006 at 16:32

How hot is hot?

Posted by amz155 on 17/9/2006 at 00:31

We'll be in Laos and Cambodia from late Feb to late March. Just wondering how hot/dry it gets during this time. I know I can look up the average temps but I'd like a more personal account. Could we get away with fanned rooms or will we better off with A/C rooms? (We'll be staying in cheaper guesthouses) I know we can wait and see how the climate is when we arrive but trying to come up with a ballpark figure for our required budget and there often seems to be a big difference between a fan and A/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,648 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Laura_B on 18/9/2006 at 18:07

Booking Lao Airlines flights

Posted by GussieG on 17/9/2006 at 19:36

Does anyone know a website or UK travel agent where I can book the Lao Airlines flight from Vientiane to Siem Reap for the US$145 quoted on the Lao Airlines website? All the ones I've found seem to be much more expensive. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,366 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by steviej on 17/9/2006 at 20:06

Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Posted by jaliltan on 15/9/2006 at 19:25

Hi , great website. We are travelling in november from Changmai to Luang Prabang to Hanoi. We have the routes except the one from Luang Prabang to Hanoi. Is there a border crossing? Which? Mode of transport (not flight) and the cost (if possible)? how long is the travelling time? appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,214 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 16/9/2006 at 08:02

Overland border crossing Loas to North Vietnam

Posted by tommcinnes on 13/9/2006 at 11:40

We are travelling to loas in Oct and are wondering if there is now a northern border crossing to North Vietman? We would like to travel Vietnam North to South and would prefer not to enter central Vietnam which would mean some back tracking. Has anyone some info on this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,128 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by ReneHanoi on 13/9/2006 at 16:06

Morning alms

Posted by amz155 on 1/9/2006 at 04:49

This question may be a bit intrusive but here goes.... Where is the best place in Luang Prabang to witness the monk's morning alms round? Any tips on how to respectfully view and appreciate this? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,212 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by somsai on 11/9/2006 at 00:27

Chiang Mai to Huay Xai travel time

Posted by marianwarren on 1/9/2006 at 15:34

Sontam Have read somewhere on the message board (can't find it now) rough time for travel from Chiang Mai to Huay Xai (poss 5 hours by bus?) I remember that if you leave early in the morning should be able to make Huay Xai without having to overnight in Chiang Khong. Have to be at Si Phan Don on a definite date - end of visa, want to participate in Gibbon experience as soon as we arrive in Laos - don't want to waste any of the 30 day visa hanging around unnecessarily. As GE is an early sta ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,780 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 10/9/2006 at 17:07

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page