Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Solo female traveller looking for an island around Christmas

Posted by DTQ on 15/11/2007 at 11:54

Hello, everybody. I posted this over at the lonelyplanet site and a user there suggested I ask over here. I guess you guys are supposed to be the most knowledgeable folks around. Hopefully that's the case! Here's the question I'd posted: "First of all, before I get pm's or something, I am not the solo female lol. Just looking up some information for her. She'll be in Kuala Lumpur on Dec 22. Has a flight out of Bangkok on Dec 29. Was trying to figure out where she could go for a few days ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,481 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by stockamole on 19/11/2007 at 10:45

Transport rates: taxi and tuk-tuk

Posted by Harry05 on 19/11/2007 at 03:53

Are there more or less typical rates for transport by taxi and tuk-tuk? Per kilometer or units of time? Thanx answering. Harry ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,589 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by swag on 19/11/2007 at 09:08

Lampang Elephant Conservation Centre

Posted by rocketgirl on 8/11/2007 at 09:05

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Chiang Mai to Lampang Elephant Centre - also is this easy to do? I'm trying to decide whether to stay in Lampang or Chiang Mai for the night. Im travelling with someone completely uninterested in elephants, so was thinking that Chiang Mai might be more interesting for her for the day, while I head off to this centre. I LOVE elephants, but cant afford a mahoot course, so thought visiting this centre would be the next best thing. I've also read about ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,465 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by swag on 19/11/2007 at 09:03

Dress code in Thailand/Cambodia temples/public places

Posted by erinj on 19/11/2007 at 08:19

I'm going to Thailand (Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Ao Nang) and Cambodia (Phnom Penh and Siem Reap/Angkor Wat). I was planning on packing a couple of 3/4 pants and a couple of pairs of shorts (relatively short- mid thigh length) to wear. Will this be okay, or will I need to pack long pants? A friend said that at the temples if you don't have long pants they will lend you tie on pants to wear. Is this right? Will wearing short offend anyone? I want to not be too hot, but would hate to offend ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,413 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by swag on 19/11/2007 at 08:56

Koh samet

Posted by sunnyukmarky on 10/11/2007 at 10:52

I will travel to samet in next few days. Where is the best place to stay nice beach and budget rooms no more than 400B? and is it easy and cheap to get around other parts of island. Any other tips are welcome. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,442 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by sunnyukmarky on 18/11/2007 at 13:05

weather question

Posted by coconutty on 16/11/2007 at 14:00

heard there were big storms in samui area recently. what's the weather in the area now and how will it be in the start of december (when we're planning on coming)? also how's the weather in KHAO SOK national park (inland surat thani) and KHAO LUANG national park (inland nakhon si thammarat) at the start of december? would it be dangerous to travel there during this time? last question - what's the weather like on the beaches of nakhon si thammarat (SICHON, KHANOM etc.) at the start of de ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,342 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/11/2007 at 09:02

Bangkok to Phuket to Phi Phi to Ko Tao

Posted by kelpeta on 16/11/2007 at 18:20

HI Any advice on the best way (other than flying) to get from Bangkok to Phuket to Phi Phi to Ko Tao and back to Bangkok? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,797 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/11/2007 at 08:58

The real deal on money belts

Posted by planetclare on 29/7/2007 at 05:58

I'd love to get some opinions on the necessity of wearing money belts in Thailand. I've traveled pretty extensively in Europe, and have never used a money belt, and have never had any problems with theft. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but they've always seemed to me to be a cumbersome, uncomfortable, flashing neon sign screaming, "Tourist! Tourist!" Instead, I prefer to always keep an eye (or more often, a hand) on my purse, and to keep my passport tucked away in an interior zippered pocket so i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,528 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by annu75 on 16/11/2007 at 15:25

Thailand election day - Dec 23

Posted by explorer_23 on 15/11/2007 at 12:20

I will be in Bangkok during the proposed election day on Sunday, Dec 23. I want to know whether it's business as usual or business is close/delay in opening hours for shops and shopping centres. How about Chatuchak Weekend Market ? Do they open on that particular day. Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,746 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by breconion on 16/11/2007 at 14:01

Good destinations in Thailand for meeting people?

Posted by aludel on 15/11/2007 at 12:38

Hi all! This is my first time travelling alone, and I'm wondering which places (ouside of Bangkok) are the best for meeting other travellers? I've just spent two weeks doing northern Thailand and I found that the crowd was generally a bit older (I'm in my early 20s) and/or couples. I'm now keen to head south but I'm wary of being stuck with families/honeymooners/sex tourists.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Al ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,482 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by goo_stewart on 16/11/2007 at 10:26

has anyone had any experience with www.travelhubchiangmai.com?

Posted by annu75 on 16/11/2007 at 01:26

i was wondering if any of you ever went through them, they seem like they have the best prices out there and i was about to book my trip from chiang mai to luang prabang with them. any good/bad experiences? thank you travelfishies;-) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,085 times, with no replies.

Minor physical limitations..... will they be an issue?

Posted by urbal on 15/11/2007 at 02:45

I have some minor physical limitations and I am wondering if these things will be an issue while in Thailand / Laos / Cambodia. My goal is to visit remote locations and visit spots off the main touristy-travel agenda. I am unable to use chopsticks due to dexterity issues, will this be a problem? Should I bring my own silverware? I wear plastic leg braces which sit inside my shoe (they don't work unless my shoes are on) to prevent ankle drop and to help me walk..... will I have any issues ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,539 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by urbal on 16/11/2007 at 00:29

Bangkok accommodations

Posted by anmi212 on 16/10/2007 at 23:15

Hi, I need a place to stay in Bangkok for 2 or 3 nites at the beginning of the trip. maybe somewhere near (but prolly not on) khao san road. it's my boyfriend's first time in thailand so i thought he should have the whole khao san road experience but not so sure i want to actually stay on it again. looking for anything up to about $40 USD or so but of course the cheaper the better. oh, and if possible, we'd love a private bathroom. any suggestions??? Thanks!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,530 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by anmi212 on 15/11/2007 at 23:51

Island hopping Ko Maak - any suggestion to save money food wise?

Posted by talesofloriandmark on 13/11/2007 at 13:48

Just in Vientiene right now looking to head to Ko Chang and Ko Maak. . . Curious if the islands in Thailand are like Fiji in the sense the accomodation is cheap and the food is expensive. . . any suggestion on what to bring from Trat to Ko Maak? We were eatting pretty cheaply in Luang Pabang with a combination of street food and a cheap restaurants for lunch time shade keeping it around $10 a day for food and $4 a day in accomodation. We would like to keep our budget to about $15 a day for the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,360 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by exacto on 15/11/2007 at 23:49

where to stay in phuket to get to phi phi easy?

Posted by darrenh on 13/11/2007 at 18:40

hi, great website. think my girlfriend is jealous of it, i spend so much time on it!! i will be arriving at phuket airport and staying on the island for 2 days before going to phi phi. i am looking for somewhere that is not too quite but not as busy as Patong and also easy to get to the pier for the boat to phi phi? any suggestions will be much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,294 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by shore9 on 15/11/2007 at 08:24

Getting around Phuket Island

Posted by shore9 on 12/11/2007 at 07:27

I will be getting off at the pier in Phuket (from Railay) and want to goto Kata beach, then further on to Patong beach the next day. After that I will be heading to the airport. Any suggestions as to how to get around, and how much will it cost? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,216 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/11/2007 at 07:56

Are there any dry islands at the moment?

Posted by rocketgirl on 12/11/2007 at 17:27

Is anyone currently on a thai island thats not in the rain? My friend would like some beach time before she heads home, but it sounds like they're all raining at the moment. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,166 times, with no replies.

5 Weeks for a little of everything?

Posted by natesta on 12/11/2007 at 05:20

I've seen the suggested itinerary for SE Asia with 4 weeks but was wondering what the pace of that trip would be? Would we constantly be on the move? We have about 5 weeks in July/August and would like to see the "must see" things, without constantly being on the move. Would 2 weeks in Vietnam South->North 2 Weeks in Thailand, Jungles and Islands, 4 Days in Cambodia to see Ankor Wat and Phnom Phnh work out? Is there anywhere we should add more time to, or less to? We've also heard g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,346 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 12/11/2007 at 07:06

Getting to Suvarnabhumi from Hua Lamphong

Posted by pauljaymes on 8/11/2007 at 19:42

Hi, I'm getting off an overnight train next week at Hua Lamphong and I need to get to Suvarnabhumi. I should have plenty of time - 4 hours or so if the train is on time - but I'm a bit worried that I can't find any information on the buses. Incoming I took AE1 and changed to the MRT to Hua Lamphong at Silom, but I couldn't find any info for the return journey. It almost seems worth taking a taxi to Khao San Road and picking up the airport express bus there - anyone got any ideas? P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,231 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by pauljaymes on 11/11/2007 at 18:50

Pre Booking Flights, Trains, Rooms, Etc.

Posted by kman on 11/11/2007 at 10:25

Hi everyone, We're first time travelers (2ppl) to Thailand arriving Nov 18th (at 00:05) and departing December 6th. I'm wondering how necessary it is to book domestic flights, train/bus rides and accomodation ahead of time (i.e. book them now before we arrive). We normally like to 'play it by ear' however I've read a lot about it being the high-season and am getting a little nervous. Will we be ok or will be be sleeping on the streets and stuck in one place with no transportation? :) Th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,268 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by exacto on 11/11/2007 at 11:22

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page