Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Phu Quoc, Nha Trang OR Hoi An??

Posted by honeymooner33 on 24/8/2011 at 17:13

Hi everyone, My fiance and I are currently planning our honeymoon for March next year, to spend about four weeks travelling around Northern Laos and Vietnam. We are planning on spending 10 days in Laos, before flying to HCM and slowly making our way to Hanoi . We are planning to visit the Mekong delta when we get to Vietnam, and later spend 5 days in Hanoi at the end of our trip, including a trip to Halong Bay. We have time to visit 2 other places in between, and are trying to choose between P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,227 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by KevandJho on 16/9/2011 at 09:14

Best place in Vietnam, Phong Nha Farmstay

Posted by PeteandBeaver on 26/3/2011 at 19:44

If you are traveling Vietnam and don't want to miss out on the best trip possible then go to Phong Nha Farmstay in Quang Binh central Vietnam. We have travelled all over Aisa and this is one of the best highlights, you will be greated by Ben and Bich and their friendly staff for an amazing time. They have got everything right the location, the accomodation and the best trips available around amazing Phong Nha National Park mixed with the comfortable home vibe. It is like visiting jurrasic pa ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,477 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 16/9/2011 at 08:11

Family Travel

Posted by jasmichf on 8/9/2011 at 17:37

I was hoping to get a little advice on travelling to Vietnam with my two small children. My husband and I would like to go next year, still not decided on when as it will depend on his roster. Our 2 boys will be aged 2 and 5. I have been doing some reading and want to visit so many places but need to consider the kids. i would love any advice: how long to spend in places, must sees and great visit for the kids. Reply to this I have in mind sapa hanoi / halong bay (not to sure about that with ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,958 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 15/9/2011 at 09:19

Help Reg First Trip Of 28 Nights in Vietnam

Posted by mysticpaki on 3/8/2011 at 04:52

If you had 28 nights to spend in Vietnam.Love natural beauty,beaches lush greenary,waterfalls and lakes and were arriving into Ho Chi Min City middle of May how would you plan it? I prefer to take long motor bike rides then packing and unpacking every second day as i travel heavy. Let me know your itenary please:) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,722 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by shing on 12/9/2011 at 13:23

Hostel newbie

Posted by rnrgrl on 10/9/2011 at 02:37

I am going to be in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for the month of Oct. I am planning to stay in hostels but I have never stayed in a hostel before. I have a vague idea of what to expect but have a few questions. Should I book in advance or can I wing it? Do I need to bring my own bedding (ie sleeping bag or something of the sort)? And any other info people think might be helpful for a newbie. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,737 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by kfchris1 on 10/9/2011 at 17:37

23 Day VN Itinerary - North to South

Posted by Rubixx on 4/7/2011 at 19:12

Can someone please critique my 23 day itinerary? Is it too much? What could I leave out? We are flying with Vietnam Airlines where possible. Thanks in advance. 1. Hanoi (2 nights) 2. Sapa (2 nights + 1 overnight train) 3. Halong Bay (2 nights + 1 overnight train) 4. Hue (3 nights) 5. Hoi An (3 nights) 6. Nha Trang (3 nights) 7. Ho Chi Minh (2 nights) 8. My Tho, Ben Tre, Chau Doc, Long Xuyen (2 nights) 9. Ho Chi Minh (1 night) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,990 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by vutour on 10/9/2011 at 11:04

What to do in Hanoi

Posted by Aaron88 on 23/8/2011 at 18:12

Hi, I will be travelling to Vietnam from 19/12/2011 to 23/12/2011. I will be staying in hanoi for these dates but I am looking at going on a cruise for one night at Halong bay I am seeking advise on the following below: Activities to do in hanoi during the day and night Good hotels to stay at in a reasonable price range cheapest and best way to travel around town things to look out for what tours are good Is it best to book tours in Australia or when we are there? Is it best to leave the drui ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,851 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Marget_love on 8/9/2011 at 15:24

Bus from HCMC to Phnom Phen

Posted by chaeta on 22/8/2011 at 15:06

Hi Everyone, I will flight from Hue to HCMC at about 11 am and I have to make my way to Phnom Penh, but I do not want to spend a day in HCMC as I am planned to stop there on my way back. Would anyone know if there is a bus straight from Ho Chi Minh city airport to Phnom Penh, or which is the quickest way? Also is anyone been recently to Lucky Lucky moto shop in Phnom Phen to make a Vietnamese Visa? Is it still a very smooth process? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,306 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Rasheeed on 5/9/2011 at 08:58

Facebook in Vietnam

Posted by KirstyB on 26/8/2011 at 18:57

I just heard that Facebook in Vietnam has been officially unblocked (not that I think it was ever "officially blocked" and a work around was often possible). I'm not in Vietnam so can't personally verify this but a sudden flurry of activity on FB by my Vietnamese friends seem to confirm this. Just need China to lift their block now. Hahaha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,633 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Rasheeed on 5/9/2011 at 08:55

Cat Cat View Hotel vs. Sapa Boutique Hotel

Posted by Arigato9 on 29/8/2011 at 16:31

I need some help deciding guys... Any suggestions on which to stay it in Sapa ? I'm leaning more towards Sapa Boutique. Also, it seems the hotels overcharge for treking tours and such any recommendations on a great local tour guide that anyone has used? Thanks for the insight! Brien ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,647 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by sagemode on 3/9/2011 at 18:32

Help me make a decision!

Posted by Arigato9 on 17/8/2011 at 19:02

Travelfish! Ok, so I need some help making some decisions. I have 18 days to do a mini-adventure through vietnam (I arrive in Saigon Sept. 12), Laos, and Cambodia. The things i have had my sights on are ha long bay-cat ba island, sapa, luang prabang, and ankgor wat-siem reap-phnom Phen.. I have to leave by the 30th so, I was thinkin 8 days in vietnam and then 5 in each laos and camodia. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!! Jah Love, B ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,342 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 3/9/2011 at 09:12

Sihnaoukville/Perhentians/Nha Trang

Posted by chinarocks on 2/9/2011 at 20:21

All other things being equal (i.e. weather, costs etc), which one of the above would you recommend as a beach resort for a two week trip? It will mainly involve beach time but would also involve some nightlife and nice food is always a bonus. Thanks. CR ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,055 times, with no replies.

Secluded beaches in hoi an

Posted by daniel4 on 12/7/2011 at 22:17

Looking for some secluded beaches somewhere between Hoi An and Nha Trang, with some decent accommodation . Not looking for party backpacker type of stuff. Any advice deeply appreciated. Or just south of Hoi An? Many thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,116 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 2/9/2011 at 17:04

Vietnam Visa

Posted by Nixxypie on 20/8/2011 at 11:07

Hi guys, I'm currently in Chiang Mai and myself and a friend decided as a spur of the moment thing to go to Vietnam. We were looking at applying for a visa online but we're not sure which companies are real and if any are fakes as we don't want to pay the money and arrive to find we have no visa, or get completely over charged. We are travelling to Bangkok tonight on the sleeper train and staying in Bangkok 1 night before getting a bus to Siem Reap for 2-3 nights, Phnom Penh for 1 night ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,529 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Nixxypie on 2/9/2011 at 16:05

Money exchange (Dongs) in Chau Doc

Posted by BB on 30/8/2011 at 21:24

Hi there! We will be arriving in Chau Doc from Phnom Penh by boat. My lonely planet guide says I should take care of exchanging money before I arrive as there is no place to get cash advances in Chau Doc... in your experiencie, what would be the best way to get dongs when arriving this way? is there a place where we can exchange usd? many thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,933 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by JasonB on 1/9/2011 at 09:59

Feedback on Itinerary

Posted by lithium on 27/8/2011 at 23:41

I have five weeks to spend in Vietnam and Laos between November 19th and December 26th. Still not sure which I'll be visiting first, how much time I'll be spending in each country and if I'll be doing Vietnam north to south or vice versa. My trip will start and end in Bangkok. I can afford to spend up to USD 100 on flights within Vietnam itself but don't mind overnight train rides. Would like to limit bus trips to a maximum of 6hrs each. My rough itinerary for Vietnam is very similar to everyon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,633 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by lithium on 28/8/2011 at 22:47

Da Nang Airport to Hoi An by bus

Posted by AGRO on 19/8/2011 at 20:31

Hi We will be landing in Da Nang around 11 30am and would like to take the bus straight to Hoi An as it's a much cheaper option than a taxi. Wikitravel says that there are frequent buses for 15 000 or so from the inter-city bus station but I was wondering how to get to the station from the airport? Or..... I heard there may be a cheap shuttle bus from the airport? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,139 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by AGRO on 28/8/2011 at 12:10

Open Tour Bus ticket Hoi An to Nha Trang

Posted by AGRO on 27/8/2011 at 19:39

There are so many to choose from, I hear some are great and others are a bit of a scam on terrible buses. But how to choose? Anyone have any recommendations or experiences about what company to use? Are they pretty much all the same or not? Also I guess the same question would go for Nha Trang to HCMC Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,215 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by travellingsarah on 28/8/2011 at 09:57

Motorbike NW loop then hanoi to hcmc in 28 days?

Posted by shing on 11/8/2011 at 20:35

HI I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND FOR SIMILAR THREADS AND THEY ARE MOSTLY OUTDATED SO I DECIDED TO START THIS. I AM PLANNING A BIKING TRIP IN VIETNAM FROM 12 DEC 2011 TO 10 JAN 2012 . THE PLAN IS TO BUY/RENT A BIKE IN HANOI, LIKELY CUONGS(HIS NAME JUST KEEPS APPEARING!) IT WOULD BE A HONDA WIN OR WAVE. NOW THE ORIGNAL PLAN IS TO DO THE NW LOOP( Hanoi -> Mai Chau -> Dien Bien Phu -> Sapa -> Hanoi ) THEN FROM HANOI HEAD DOWN TO HCMC, FLYING BACK FROM HCMC. THE PROBLEM IS I DONT ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,220 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 26/8/2011 at 10:22

Bad experiences Hanoi and Sapa

Posted by Pernette on 13/3/2009 at 20:48

In Hanoi we got in a taxi with a corrupt taxidriver, his meter was running twice as we were really driving and when we wanted to stop, the driver threatened us with a stick. He wanted the money for the distance he had already driven (20.000 dong for 500 meter). There were 3 hotels with the same name in a row in Hanoi. We had booked one and the one we walked in said we had to wait until 8 am before we could get the room with window for 15 dollar (which they also said in a reservation e-mail) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,117 times, with 31 replies. Last reply by podus on 23/8/2011 at 14:29

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page