Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Best Indian Food in SEA

Posted by briannabloch on 7/11/2011 at 02:27

Shiva Shakti on 22 Pham Ngu Lao, Street Hue is absolutely phenomenal!! It's just left of the Hue Backpacker's Hostel and all food is cooked by an Indian chef. We ordered the lamb masala as well as the lamb rogan josh. And we ate here 3 nights in a row because it was that good. Amazing!!! You must eat here if you find yourself in Hue. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,975 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by diedbase on 7/11/2011 at 13:47

Hanoi to Tam coc

Posted by lindistar on 5/10/2011 at 21:21

Hi, We are going to be in Hanoi in January and would like to visit Tam Coc for the day. Is it easy to do this independantly or is it easier to be part of a tour? I've read that entry is 30,000dong and boat fare is 40,000dong, and thought about getting a taxi there. How much would that be roughly for my partner and I? We used a taxi like this alot in Malaysia and it wasn't too expensive,we hired the driver for the day. Can we do the same with Hanoi taxi drivers, or are we likely to get ripped ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,787 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Jenpapaya on 6/11/2011 at 21:07

Hanoi to Bejing

Posted by fabba487 on 26/10/2011 at 09:27

Hi there, I know this website doesn't exclusively cover China, but I managed to purchase extremely cheap flights home from Bejing and am planning on giving myself a week to get from Hanoi to Bejing after a two month trip through South-East Asian, does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this? And also how expensive China is compared to the other South-East asian counties? Regards, Fabian. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,929 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by fabba487 on 6/11/2011 at 05:35

Honda Win 110cc for sale HCMC $300

Posted by samvietnam1 on 5/11/2011 at 22:12

1 Honda Win 110 for sale HCMC most reliable bike for Vietnam roads, drove from Hanoi to HCMC no problems. Just had engine examined and spent $80 replacing any cracked/worn out parts so in great condition, everything works perfect except for speedometer. Includes: - motorbike registration - full head helmet with visor - basic tool set - spare spark plug, electric box - bungee cords - vietnam road map and guide sheet detailing vietnam translation for motorbike parts, how to change spark plugs/el ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,045 times, with no replies.

My Itinerary

Posted by daymouse on 4/11/2011 at 18:28

Ok heres my itinerary for my travels next week flying into Bangkok then over to Hanoi working my way down Vietnam and over Cambodia back to Bangkok. I arrive on the 11/11 and return flight is on 18/11. If theres anywhere I've missed off thats a must please tell. Also where will i find decent floating markets, so far in my guide book reading about all the places below i haven't read anything about floating markets! )o: Obviously this is defo going to change but is just a guide for me, any i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,129 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by misplcednotlost on 5/11/2011 at 21:23

Flights HCMC to PP

Posted by HeatherPT on 4/11/2011 at 20:25

Does anyone know if there are any flights from HCMC to Phnom Penh? Having a really tough time finding any online. Heading to Vietnam at the end of the month, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,773 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by goonistik on 4/11/2011 at 21:53

Mekong Delta best place to stay

Posted by IrisVuur on 4/11/2011 at 08:33

Hi, I want to go independently to the Mekong area around beginning of January next year. I first thought to make Can Tho my base town and explore the region from there, but I get mixed messages about this town. Could anyone suggest either an itinerary or nice little town to stay in for a couple of days? (4-5 days). Thanks! Iris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,021 times, with no replies.

Hiring Driver, Van and renting bike

Posted by pyratman on 31/10/2011 at 11:19

Some frineds and I are looking for a driver with van and rental bike contact. We speak fluent Vietnamese so do not a translator. We have also selected our route and destinations so we do not need a toru guide just a support van, driver and bike rentals. Does anyone have a good recommendation or know of someone? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,255 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 2/11/2011 at 11:39

Sapa and Can cau market in 2 days / Trekking Travel

Posted by ag on 8/3/2010 at 02:54

Hello, we want to travel to Sapa , do some light tracking and visit one one the beautiful markets, e.g. Can Cau. Unfortunately we're on a tight schedule so we need we would like to arrive by night train, spend only one night and head back to Hanoi the next evening. Has any of you managed to do this in this time? Is there a way to get from Sapa to Can Cau early on Saturdays? Or would you rather stay in the area around Sapa and can recommend any nice Saturday market around there? We we ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,444 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Milsar88 on 31/10/2011 at 00:31

Halong Bay tour & Hanoi accomodation

Posted by eklecticist on 7/6/2007 at 08:19

Hi all, I'll be arriving in Hanoi with 5 other friends on 24th June and we will be staying for a week. 1) We are planning to take a 3 days 2 nights Halong Bay tour (kayaking!) with Handspan and instead of making an online booking with them via the website, we have decided to book directly with them or through our guesthouse in case the tour is cheaper. (When I was in Phuket, the island hopping tours were much cheaper and negotiable when we booked it directly with the agencies at Patong be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 56,797 times, with 32 replies. Last reply by hsengun on 29/10/2011 at 00:16

Getting from HCMC to Phu Quoc

Posted by tijana88 on 8/10/2011 at 23:52

Hi everyone, What is the best way to get from HCMC to Phu Quoc? I know that there is a ferry but I heard the water can get pretty rough. Am I better off flying? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,458 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 28/10/2011 at 09:10

Motorbike trip in Northern Vietnam - looking for partners

Posted by naveohad on 10/10/2011 at 10:34

Hey all! Found lots of good information around here about bikes. Just looking for someone to join me. I'm a fun Israeli traveller. Spent 4 months in China and just got to Vietnam. Gonna continue travelling a few more months around this area. Planning to leave from Hanoi with a bike (which I didn't get yet) in the next few days. If you're interested - mail me - naveohad@gmail.com or write me here. Thanks! Ohad. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,413 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by lesdkay on 27/10/2011 at 17:10

Coc Ly market has moved

Posted by Nywoman on 28/7/2008 at 02:38

Am sorely disapointed since I arrive in Lao Cai, from China on a Tuesday morning and leave Thursday night. This is what I was told, that they are building up the reservoir for a hydro- power-station, and moved the market to the top of one mountain, hard to reach and quite boring. Does anyone know if there are any other markets to see on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,202 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by lanvht on 27/10/2011 at 16:37

4 days: From Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh? Mekong or Da Lat? Head spinning.

Posted by chatham5 on 26/10/2011 at 11:41

We are ending a small trip in Pho Quoc, a number of reasons mostly to chill out, but the real question is what to do with the 5 days beforehand, flying in from Bangkok: Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh? Da Lat? Looking to avoid heavy areas of tourism, not afraid of a little adventure. We thought about cruising the Mekong but no one speaks too highly of a specific itinerary... so at this point could be anywhere...confused and waiting advice. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,556 times, with no replies.

Where to go from HCMC?

Posted by thewanderer on 19/10/2011 at 20:30

Me and my girlfriend arrive in HCMC on the 28th of November - it's the first stop of our 7 week tour around South-East Asia and we were wondering where we should visit in Southern Vietnam. We would love to go up to Halong Bay but worry it would take up too much time, with only 7 weeks to get back to Kuala Lumpar for our flight to Auckland! So any recommendations, regarding places to see in Vietnam, would be much appreciated. The Wanderer ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,173 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by namthin on 20/10/2011 at 11:11

Current weather in Vietnam

Posted by tijana88 on 4/10/2011 at 23:17

Hi everyone, I am arriving in Hanoi on October 28 and will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks approximately. I am hoping to end my trip on Phu Quoc. I've read the weather page but was wondering whether the weather will be nice enough to be able to lie on the beach on Phu Quoc from approximately November 7-10? Also, for the purposes of knowing what to pack, what kind of weather can I expect in Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An and HCMC at the end of October/beginning of November? Thanks, Tijana ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,137 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by LinhandJulie on 17/10/2011 at 00:56

Tips on travelling in Vietnam

Posted by jultrip on 20/6/2011 at 12:05

Hi! If you need any tips on travelling around Vietnam, let me know. Working over here and travelling around Asia. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,509 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by summerstarlite on 10/10/2011 at 20:15

20 Days in Viet Nam Itinerary!

Posted by summerstarlite on 8/10/2011 at 13:45

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Viet Nam this December. We're going to be there for about a month but since we have to visit each other family, we'll probably have about 20 days to ourselves. This is our first trip out of the country together. My boyfriend wants to go with the flow and kinda plan as we go but I want a detailed itinerary. My schedule is really crazy so I try my best to squeeze in a little research here and there everyday. If anyone has an itinerary and willing to s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,660 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 9/10/2011 at 11:43

11 Days in Vietnam - Tips Needed!

Posted by Roonn on 7/10/2011 at 19:15

Hi, I'll likely visit Vietnam for 11 days, from November 4th to November 14th (date tentative), and I know that isn't enough time for a country so rich in culture and history, but I'd like to see what I can do! The following are places that I was thinking of visiting, and suggestions are always very welcome: Hanoi - Old Quarter - Hoan Kiem Lake - Hoa Lo Prison - Temple of Literature - Ba Dinh Square The North - Sapa - Ha Long Bay - Dien Bien Phu North Central - Phong Nha Caves HCMC - B ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,489 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chinarocks on 7/10/2011 at 20:59

Error on my visa stamp noticed 10 months later -- huge overstay?

Posted by gumby on 8/9/2011 at 02:02

I got a 12 month B3 visa at the Vietnam consulate in Sihanoukville in November 2010 and only noticed today that the VN immigration guy stamped it wrong. Instead of being permitted to stay 12 months his stamp only gave me 15 days, or 35 days (the guy who stamped it apparently first wrote a date in the "permitted to stay until" space and then wrote a different date over it, so I am not sure what the date actually is, it's pretty illegible. But the year is clearly legible and it says &q ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,593 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by gumby on 2/10/2011 at 11:09

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page