Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Planning my upcoming Trip to Vietnam

Posted by Jnmaxine on 27/4/2011 at 11:38

Hi! My boyfriend and I are leaving to Vietnam on May 27th 2011 and we'll be there for approx. 2 weeks. I'm doing all this research and getting a bit overwhelmed on how to plan this trip. We are arriving in Ho Chi Mihn and I would like to back pack our way north and stay the at the TOP 5 cities in Vietnam (I'm thinking thats the most we can do in 10-12 days). Ideally we wanted to start from North to South Vietnam however the flights were cheaper arriving in Ho Chi Mihn than Hanoi. I don't know i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,271 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by gatvietnam on 16/5/2011 at 11:28

Outbound Air Ticket Required?

Posted by hsoa on 18/4/2011 at 17:35

I plan to use one of the online services for processing a visa. Are visitors required to show an outward air ticket at the airport on arrival? Is it acceptable to be leaving by bus? TIA ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,627 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by luce_uk on 16/5/2011 at 02:57

Day Train from Hanoi to Hue

Posted by jcasale on 13/5/2011 at 03:21

We are planning a trip to Vietnam and would love to see the countryside, not just fly over it. Time is not an issue as we have 3 full weeks in country. I have seen various posts on a variety of sites about the overnight trains and we have actually decided to go ahead and fly from Danang to HCMC, but we were thinking of doing the day train from Hanoi down to Hue so that it would be light and we could actually see the countryside. We did that in Thailand from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and loved ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,344 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Londonboy73 on 15/5/2011 at 20:02

Nha Trang to Whale Island?

Posted by marie516 on 10/5/2011 at 08:18

Hi everyone, We have a couple of days in Nha Trang and were hoping to do a day trip to Whale Island. Is it a reasonable ambition? Any tour recommendations or any idea what it should cost? We don't want to dive, just have a day on the island to swim and explore. If Whale Island isn't a great idea for a day trip, what's the best peaceful/pretty/natural island option? Or any recommendations for nicer outlying beaches? We want to avoid the whole floating bar/Vinpearl Land scene. Thanks so ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,977 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by marie516 on 14/5/2011 at 00:26

Nha Trang to Ninh Van/Doc Let question

Posted by marie516 on 14/5/2011 at 00:22

Hi everyone, Does anyone know if it is possible to visit Ninh Van Bay as a day trip from Nha Trang without staying at the Six Senses resort there? It wasn't clear to me whether it was a private dock/beach or not and whether there were speedboats making the trip other than the hotel boats. What about making a spa appointment there without overnighting? Also, does anyone know how long the trip to Doc Let from Nha Trang will take and about what it should cost? Thanks! Marie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,536 times, with no replies.

Real Sinh Cafe = Real Bad and Terrible service!

Posted by doraemon on 21/11/2008 at 22:35

After many readings and pondering, we decided on Sinh Cafe because we thought that it is reliable, trustworthy among travellers. We signed up a 2d1n package with the real Sinh Cafe at 52, Luong Ngoc Quyen St. It turned up to be a dsssapointed one. Their service was bad and it was really an awful experience for us. There were only 11 people in the trip. (6 from my group) At the jetty, the tour guide collected our passports and held for the entire journey. The tour guides and crews were no ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,433 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by tropixblue on 13/5/2011 at 12:49

Travel from Hanoi to Malaysia - food on board

Posted by carolynfoo on 18/9/2008 at 12:36

I travelled from Hanoi to Malaysia on a Malaysia Airlines' flight end of last month. I found that the airline served the passengers with a hot meal in a rectangular box. It's quite unique and I wonder if has anyone seen it before. I was just surprised that things (or trends) change so fast today, even in flights. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,065 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 12/5/2011 at 17:37

Vietnam cyclos

Posted by gatvietnam on 11/5/2011 at 00:52

Cyclo is among the most wonderful means to travel around any city in Vietnam. Unfortunately, cyclo crams may happen to be somewhere. What should we do to avoid these problems for tourists? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,406 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 11/5/2011 at 01:51

Flying from Hue to Hanoi?

Posted by sk3 on 6/5/2011 at 05:09

I'll be traveling from south to north later this month, eventually going from Hoi An by bus/train to Hue . My next stop will be Hanoi, and my inclination would be to fly from Hue to Hanoi (booking once I arrive in Vietnam). However, while Vietnam Airlines lists this route, there doesn't appear to be availability for any day. Does anyone know if this route still exists or have other information to provide? I would consider the train, but it's 12-14 hours and the times seem to all be pretty in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,655 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 7/5/2011 at 00:21

Mui Ne--Internet Cafes

Posted by hsoa on 6/5/2011 at 23:17

Does anyone know a good internet cafe in Mui Ne? I need to use Skype for 2 hours. I prefer a camera, but audio only would be ok. TIA ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,216 times, with no replies.

Dalat Airport to City

Posted by hsoa on 4/5/2011 at 21:58

I have heard that the Dalat airport is perhaps one hour travel time from the city center. Question 1: Can anyone recommend a nice town to visit/stay nearer the airport (either towards, or within an hour away from, Dalat)? Question 2: Can anyone report on the frequency of departures of local buses between the airport and the city center? I prefer to avoid taxis. (I will be arriving either just before 8 am, or just before 3 pm.) TIA ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,952 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 6/5/2011 at 04:25

Vietnam's tourist return rates

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/10/2010 at 14:46

The Economist has a very interesting story on Vietnam's tourism mob, discussing how some aspects of the promotion of Vietnam as a destination haven't been handled perhaps as well as they should be. You can read the full story here The quote that really stood out for me though was this one: "Vietnam has a return rate of just 5% compared to Thailand’s whopping 50%." Wow. Vietnam tends to elicit strong reactions from people -- they either love it to bits, or loathe it with a passio ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 26,401 times, with 49 replies. Last reply by paddyk on 6/5/2011 at 01:07

ATM withdrawal limit in Vietnam

Posted by amazon_blonde on 6/3/2009 at 20:49

Before I arrived in Vietnam, everything I read (printed guidebooks and travelfish) suggested that there was a maximum withdrawal limit of 2,000,000 dong from ATMs in Vietnam. And sure enough, when I went to the ATM in Ha Tien and Can Tho, the limit was 2,000,000 and so I sucked it up, even though that's barely over $100 US and the per-transaction withdrawal fees with my bank are steep. However, when we went to a CITI bank ATM in Saigon, we were able to withdrawal 6,000,000 dong and it looke ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 18,715 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by hsoa on 5/5/2011 at 21:48

Backpacking Southern Vietnam 5June-15June

Posted by seth_kean on 1/5/2011 at 21:48

Looking for travel partners. Let me know if you are interested. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,482 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by JasonB on 2/5/2011 at 09:10

Receiving Parcels--Customs Duties and Procedures

Posted by hsoa on 23/4/2011 at 15:10

Are the authorities rigorous about customs duties and procedures related to receiving goods from overseas via the postal system in Vietnam? I would like to have a single pair of shoes mailed to me in HCMC. They will be new, made of leather and plastic/rubber/synthetic materials (Dr Marten's brand), and for personal use. The sender will be an individual and not a company or shop. I suppose that I will have then sent to the GPO. (Would it be better to address the package to a guest house?) D ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,592 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 2/5/2011 at 00:29

Caution! Real Darling Cafe in Hanoi, on Pho Hang Quat.

Posted by Mia on 2/5/2006 at 23:06

I am currently in Hanoi. I arrived since 6 days ago and stayed at Real Darling Cafe/Guesthouse, located on Hang Quat St. I checked out of the guesthouse this morning due to a shocking incident that happened. To make the long story short, i caught the young caretaker of the guesthouse peeping into my room, thru my slightly opened window with curtains drawn. I noticed a shadow coming from the curtain and i almost stopped breathing-just to see what was going to happen next. I saw his fingers tr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,720 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Petrpetrpetr40 on 1/5/2011 at 09:34

Vietnam Cental Highlands

Posted by Alf on 12/4/2011 at 05:14

Going on ten day organized motorbike tour in late August.. Will be passing through Nha Trang, Dalat, Lake Lak, Buon Me Thuot, Doc Lech Beach. Accommodation and breakfast is included in price. With the Aussie dollar being so strong should I exchange any spending money for souvenirs, presents, etc. before I go? Thanks for any suggestions. Alf. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,564 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by abc on 1/5/2011 at 07:31

Hanoi Backpacker Area?

Posted by laallee on 27/4/2011 at 15:10

Does the city have a specific area offering accommodation, bars, food etc as in the Khao San Road? thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,867 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 28/4/2011 at 15:44

Companions for Vietnam trip 27.04.-18.05.2011

Posted by Simonsays on 27/4/2011 at 13:52

Hi travelfishers! I am in Burma now and I`ll arrive in Hanoi tonight (Especen Hotel) and begin my trip all around Vietnam... the classic itinerary (incl. Sapa). I`m a 28 years old guy and love to backpack around the world. If you wanna join me... let me now... My first step will probably be Ha Long Bay. I`ll stay in Hanoi surely until the 30 of April... See u Simon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,652 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by JasonB on 28/4/2011 at 08:15

Jetstart Shuttle from Hanoi to Airport

Posted by stelcy on 27/4/2011 at 00:04

Hi Does anyone know where I can catch the Jetstar shuttle bus from Hanoi to the airport? Thanks, S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,143 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by travellingsarah on 27/4/2011 at 08:44

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page