Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Tokyo to Hanoi

Posted by konnan101 on 31/3/2011 at 22:03

So far the cheapest I have found for this is like $480 through Airasia...had to buy two flights, stopping in Kuala Lampur. i was wondering if anyone knew of anythign cheaper or more direct. The direct flights were ridiculously expensive. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,738 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by konnan101 on 6/4/2011 at 06:18

Taxi Horror in Hanoi Airport

Posted by travworld on 1/4/2011 at 21:38

Curious are they still having issues with Taxi's from airport taking you to wrong hotel, or charging you more as the meter jumps, Or do they now have a set price to take you to different zones, and just pay at the Airport. I always use the Hotel option but wonder if they charge too much cause they hire independent taxi or limo people .. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,096 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by swag on 3/4/2011 at 10:38

Where can I walk among bamboo?

Posted by omnithought on 2/4/2011 at 09:31

One experience I've always wanted to have is to walk in a bamboo forest. Not a place with a big path, but wild bamboo. Does anyone know of any relatively safe areas that I could do this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,307 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 2/4/2011 at 16:57

Bai Tu Long Bay tours?

Posted by omnithought on 2/4/2011 at 08:58

There's a lot of advice regarding Halong Bay, but what about Bai Tu Long Bay? Does anyone know of reputable tours, places to stay, etc? It would be exceptionally helpful. Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,731 times, with no replies.

Travel buddy for late April in Vietnam?

Posted by asho82 on 1/4/2011 at 16:54

Hi, I am 29 year old female that will be traveling from Hanoi to HCMC. My plan is to arrive in Hanoi April 18th with a friend and then head south April 23rd by myself. I intend on stopping in Hue, Hoi An, Dalat and am open to other places. Anyone traveling that direction around the same time? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,092 times, with no replies.

Motorbiking from Saigon to Hanoi in mid April to May

Posted by Travellight on 1/4/2011 at 13:52

Hey everyone, I have been living in Vietnam the last four months teaching English. I am done with that and now have lots of free time to the first week of May. I like to do a trip from Saigon to Hanoi anytime in April, preferably in the beginning of the month. And I'm looking for some travel buddies. I am a 28 years old Vietnamese American so my fluency is high intermediate to low advance, if that makes any sense. If we hit Da Nang, and Hue I will gladly immerse you into the culture if i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,609 times, with no replies.

Possible to buy cell phone?

Posted by lilobodo on 29/3/2011 at 00:03

I know that it's possible to buy a SIM card for cell phones without problem in Hanoi or HCMC, but wonder if it's possible to buy a cell phone, preferably with something like prepaid minutes? Any details/suggestions would be welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,673 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by lilobodo on 1/4/2011 at 00:25

Which beach Nha Trang or Mui ne

Posted by skottypa on 5/2/2011 at 06:57

I have 3 days left in Vietnam and I want to spend it on the beach catching some rays and swimming. Which beach do you reccomend? I was leaning towards Mui ne but I can't find a hotel for around $20 or less a night. I love to swim so water quality is the most important. Any advice? Thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,287 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by vivuvietnam on 31/3/2011 at 16:26

Checking bags at hotel front desk

Posted by mechlois on 29/3/2011 at 21:11

Hello, My husband and I will be backpacking, well, I guess I should say flashpacking through Vietnam next month. At times, we will have to check out of our hotel and spend the rest of the day sightseeing before we leave for our next destination. Instead of lugging our packs around with us, we thought it might be possible to check our bags with our hotel's front desk. I should mention, we're staying at moderately nice hotels. Does anyone know if it's safe? Any experiences? Any advice would be a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,020 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 31/3/2011 at 13:22

Anyone in Vietnam end of March to mid April?

Posted by vothai2000 on 11/2/2011 at 02:56

Hi everyone, would like to know if anyone will be in Vietnam from the end of March to mid April. I will be traveling with my cousin from Sai Gon to Nha Trang, Da Nang, Quang Ngai and some other places (undecided). Since we are 2 Vietnamese girls in our mid-twenties traveling alone, it would be nice to meet up with some others traveling in Vietnam. We are in the country to see a few family members and then off to travel the land but a bit wary of traveling alone so if anyone wants to meet up ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,954 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by vothai2000 on 30/3/2011 at 06:52

Diving/Snorkeling in Nha Trang or Hoi An in Jan.?

Posted by dnovsky on 17/12/2008 at 08:35

Is anyone familiar with diving in Vietnam in either Nha Trang or Hoi An in early January? Originally I was going to go to Nha Trang Mun Island; but now I'm thinking of extending my stay in Hoi An and checking out the Cham Island instead. I'm not into the party scene. I'll be disappointed if I go to Nha Trang and the diving isn't excellent. I'm also not sure if Hoi An is warm enough or clear enough for diving (or snorkeling) in Jan. Any suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,380 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by DivingVietNam on 29/3/2011 at 17:24

NEED Advice while in Vietnam!

Posted by boxer1211 on 21/3/2011 at 02:08

Hello, I am planning to travel to Vietnam in June. I am also planning to propose to my girlfriend while on the trip to Vietnam. We are going to be traveling from North to South, stopping for a couple of nights in Hue, Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, and Ho Chi Minh City. I plan on proposing half way through the trip while on a cruise in Ha Long Bay. My concern about security has come up, and I can't seem to find any good experiences with this online. Is it safe for me to travel with an engagement ring (h ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,014 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 29/3/2011 at 02:35

Mobile / Internet

Posted by colourco on 21/2/2011 at 08:18

We run our own business and as nice as it would be otherwise we need to be contactable and be able to correspond via email with our staff. Telstra charge about $15 per meg of data for normal use and $160 for 60 meg using a data pack. How have others handled this. Does your mobile phone bill really blow out whilst overseas? Is there planty of Wi Fi spots to log into for emails etc? Do these cost anything to use? Any other advice for communicatons would be helpful as we are virgin travellers. Che ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,696 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Positivetravel on 29/3/2011 at 01:32

Bac Ha area only

Posted by buster80 on 15/2/2011 at 22:23

Can anyone help, Was hoping to arrive in Lao Cai sunday morning and go directly to see Bac Ha market in morning, would then like to visit some local villages, stay in homestay and next day some light trekking and sightseeing and return to Lao Cai for overnight train to Hanoi. All tours seem to go via Sapa which we dont want to do! Has anyone done something like this? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,542 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ElmoAustria on 27/3/2011 at 23:14

any travelling vietnam in april 2011?

Posted by katieking6 on 10/2/2011 at 15:14

Hi, I'm 23 from new zealand and flying into HCMC on April 7th and leaving on the 25th. I am planning to travel the length of the country and have a couple of questions.. - do i need to worry about safety given i'm youngish, female and travelling alone in Vietnam? - should i start and Hanoi and go south? or start in HCMC and go north? Any advice or help would be awesome! Thaaaanks! Katie. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,530 times, with 22 replies. Last reply by hungzino on 27/3/2011 at 23:09

Reunification & Labor Day in Vietnam

Posted by London23F on 25/3/2011 at 20:43

Hello all, Im going to be in Vietnam over the Reunification & Labor public holidays (30th April, May 1st). I think we'll be in Sapa on the 30th & plan to take the night train back to Hanoi. Then on the 1st we hoped to travel to Nam Dinh & enjoy the sights around there. Can anyone tell me whether travel & sightseeing will be affected by the public holiday? Any info would be really helpful. Many thanks in advance! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,377 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by yanyhn on 26/3/2011 at 09:26

Ferry boat from Haiphong to Cat Ba town

Posted by jmwesby on 22/3/2011 at 17:50

Ferry boat (not hydrofoil) from Haiphong to Cat Ba town Today we took the public bus from NinhBinh to Haiphong (60,000 d – 2 ½ hours). The manager of our hoteltold us there was no 7am bus but only a 6:30 bus but that the buscould pick us up at the hotel and it would be the same price. We paidfor the ticket on the bus and this was the price posted on the signinside the bus station (we'd gone there the day before to scout forinfo). The bus picked us up at the hotel at 6:20 and then headed to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,397 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 26/3/2011 at 08:38

Vietnam Ho Chi Minh June

Posted by gwokki on 26/3/2011 at 00:23

Hello, After using this site for several years decided to join after reading other posts, to see if any other travellers will be in Vietnam and would like to form up and make new friends . Im 23 M from Australia. Basically I'm going to be travelling solo in Ho Chi Minh City from the 16th June thru till July sometime. This is my 3rd time visiting Vietnam 1st time solo though. At the moment I don't have any plans, was going to wing it. I do have a tour booked from the 23rd-30th. So if anybod ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,770 times, with no replies.

my vietnam visa

Posted by Puzzle on 29/9/2010 at 00:15

Hi I know there are a lot of posts regarding visas,but i would just like some up to date clear advice on using www.myvietnamvisa.com to get a visa on arrival at Ho Chi Minh Searching the web i have not found any negative comments, so far. Has anyone had any problems? The following is from the Vietnamese embassy in the U.K. It got me a bit worried Regarding visas on arrival and on-line visa application, please be advised that there have been so many cases in which airport authorities do not all ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,819 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by destroyingangel on 25/3/2011 at 16:38

Warning: don't go to Quang Long Guesthouse, Mui Ne

Posted by Roos on 24/3/2011 at 10:15

cackroaches everywhere, i think that says enough. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,539 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page