Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Cookery class recommendations? Hue and Hoi An

Posted by ruthabelle on 14/9/2010 at 02:22

Hello I'd love a recommendation for a Vietnamese cookery class in either Hue or Hoi An. I'm a really keen cook so I'd like something hands on, not just demonstrations. Has anyone had a good experience? Thank you! Ruth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,312 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by sanpedro on 29/9/2010 at 20:22

Phu Quoc Boat Shakedown

Posted by petrarch1603 on 28/9/2010 at 18:47

So I bought a ticket from Kampot to Phu Quoc island from my guesthouse. We cross the border and its mostly fine. One girl didn't have her visa, so she got stuck, but other than that it was a breeze. So the minivan drops us off at a tour agent in Ha Tien. The tour agent give me the boat ticket and tries to sell me transportation to my hotel once I get to Phu Quoc. I politely decline and she continues trying to sell it to me. It was only $3 but I didn't like the hard sell and just wanted to try ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,370 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 28/9/2010 at 22:35

Hoi An to Dalat by motorbike around Oct 7

Posted by IdRatherTravel on 28/9/2010 at 04:39

I have recently hired Genuine Easy Rider of Dalat to take a 4-5 daymotorbike tour from Hoi An to Dalat. I will be traveling solo andwanted to post to see if any other travelers will be in the same areaand are interested in joining me. I am a 30 year old female fromCalifornia. My dates are a bit flexible but I plan to arrive to Hoi Anfrom Hanoi around the 4th. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,293 times, with no replies.

Affordable Ha Long Bay Kayak tour advice

Posted by shanghaimike on 24/9/2010 at 10:49

Hi, My girlfriend and I are going to Vietnam in a few days and are thinking of checking out Ha Long Bay . As I have been there before on the normal boat cruise before many years ago, we are thinking of doing some sort of adventure tour. So far Ocean Tours and Handspan seem to have what we want however Ocean Tours "Mythical Ocean Style" tours are not available till November and Handspan tours seem quite expensive at $175 and $197 pp for the 2 and 3 day kayaking tours. I was wonderi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,720 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by sems on 27/9/2010 at 14:56

Vietnam in February - North to South

Posted by dipesh16 on 27/9/2010 at 00:54

Hi all, I am going to be heading to Vietnam in February 2011 as a solo backpacker. Coming from UK I am looking to see who will be around there during the times to hook up. I kind, fun and sociable male 25yrs old.... Let me know. Tara for now ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,715 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc Island Solo trip

Posted by sophierose87 on 24/9/2010 at 14:34

Hi all Have posted on here before fretting over my itinerary but have finally decided what I'll be doing....Starting in December I am spending 10 days in Northern Thailand, then 2 weeks in Cambodia including a week of volunteer work at a bear sanctuary, then my last 2 weeks in Vietnam (Hanoi to Saigon)....I was thinking of flying home to Melbourne the day before my birthday (will be my 24th so nothing special) but am now thinking of maybe going to Phu Quoc island instead and extending my trip b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,329 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 25/9/2010 at 07:05

"Fifteen tips for a great holiday" needs repeating

Posted by daawgon on 23/9/2010 at 00:28

This is such good advice, I think it needs repeating. I've already told everyone at Tripadvisor to read this advice: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/109 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,344 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 25/9/2010 at 06:19

buying a cub.ho chi minh/hanoi

Posted by valis on 19/8/2010 at 03:46

hello all. im going to vietnam for 2 months,im flying to ho chi minh on november the 28th and flying back from hanoi on jan 30th. i dont know yet if il go to cambodia and laos or just stay in vietnam. anyway i would like to get a honda cub for my travels,i know these little bikes are pretty bullit proof. i usualy ride a 600 bandit but im strangley enough attracted to the cub,preferably the 90cc. are thse bikes easy to come accross in ho chi minh,and how mutch should i pay for one? i see mo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,014 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 24/9/2010 at 18:06

Christmas in Vietnam - Yes or No?!

Posted by jjireland100 on 21/9/2010 at 19:47

Hi Guys, I am in a bit of a panic about my travel plans. I was suppouse to be heading mid Nov and going to Oz and spending Xmas in Sydney and then returning to Asia in Jan for some travelling. Now things have changed so I am going to Asia first. I dont know where to spend Xmas and New Years? Following my original itenary that I had set out for Jan I think we would end up in Vietnam (south) for Xmas. Can anyone recommend where my friend and I would have a lively Xmas ? We are both in our earl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,803 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by saggie on 24/9/2010 at 15:21

Climbing Mt. Fansipan - reputable guide/tour package

Posted by shanghaimike on 24/9/2010 at 13:02

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Sapa around October 3. We are looking to climb Mt. Fansipan and are looking for a reliable tour/guide operator. Does anyone have any recommendations? How much do they charge? We are relatively fit, would a 2day/1 night tour be sufficient? Thanks. Regards, Michael ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,105 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by saggie on 24/9/2010 at 15:05

Xmas/New Year Honeymoon Cambodia and Vietnam

Posted by rose51 on 18/9/2010 at 10:17

Last year we used the Travel Fish website & forum to plan a month in Thailand and it was so helpful. We had the most amazing trip - in fact so amazing my partner proposed in Koh Yao Noi and we got married back in the UK two weeks ago! We are now planning a month in Vietnam and Cambodia for our honeymoon in December and so we are back on this site to plan! Originally we had hoped to travel through Cambodia and Vietnam for 3 and half weeks ending up in Hanoi before flying to Hong Kong for N ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,207 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rose51 on 24/9/2010 at 10:11

Availability of train/bus from Thap Cham to Nha Trang?

Posted by cloud on 23/9/2010 at 07:00

I am setting up a plan for my travel during the coming October and have difficulty for the segment from Thap Cham to Nha Trang . If I can move the segment between 9:00~14:00,i.e., leaving Thap Cham after 9:00 and arriving at Nha Trang before 14:00, it’s the best. I searched the train time in the internet and found several time tables of different times. One of them shows that SE8 departs Thap Cham at 11:02 and arrives at Nha Trang at 12:33 but I wonder whether the table is the current one o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,512 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cloud on 24/9/2010 at 08:06

Punctuality of trains in Vietnam?

Posted by cloud on 19/9/2010 at 09:55

I plan to stop by at Thap Cham on the way to Da Nang to visit the Po Klaung Garai ruins, which is near, probably less than 500m away from the Google Earth, the train station at Thap Cham. I checked the train time table and the arrival and departure times are as follows. TN2 Sai Gon 10:05->Thap Cham17:03, SE6 Thap Cham18:41->Da Nang 05:38 If the train TN2 arrives at Thap Cham on time, then I can have one hour and forty minues at Thap Cham and that is, I guess, sufficient for me to visi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,964 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by cloud on 23/9/2010 at 10:05

jabs for traveling vietnam

Posted by valis on 20/9/2010 at 03:26

hello all. im traveling thrue vietnam dec/jan and so far i have had hepititis a and b,typhoid,tetnis and my first rabies shot. the thing is the nurse also wants me to get swine flue,mmr and jap-b. are these jabs realy nessacery,i dont drink alcohol yet i feel like ive had a hangover every morning since the first rabies shot,i realy dont want to put anything else in to my body that i really dont need so if i could do without the rest of the jabs i will happy. pluss the jap-b jabs are £160.ive ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,984 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 23/9/2010 at 09:49

Vietnam train time table, which one is correct?

Posted by cloud on 19/9/2010 at 12:37

I saw three time tables of the train in Vietnam and they are from two sources, one from Travelfish, the other from Vietnam Railways. Even the time tables from the same source, Vietnam Railways are not identical. I wonder whether I made a mistake in reading the tables or the table themselves are not correct. To simplify the explanation, I regard the table from the Travelfish which is translated into English has not been updated and I compare only the two tables from Vietnam Railways. In the websi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,685 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by cloud on 23/9/2010 at 08:38

Vietnam in November 2010

Posted by Pobblebonk on 21/9/2010 at 16:43

Hi! How are you? We are two friends travelling to Vietnam in November - for my 30th birthday. We are just seeking advice from people who have recently been to Vietnam who can recommend certain this to us. I have been reading this forum quite a bit, and I have to say, I feel like just stalking brucemoon - I really like his posts! Hi brucemoon! LOL They are very informative and really, really, helpful. We're based in Australia, and I have the Lonely Planet guidebook, albeit it was published in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,871 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 22/9/2010 at 13:58

Hoi An or Nha Trang? Or HCMC?

Posted by scythemk on 18/9/2010 at 09:08

Hello everyone, I am currently planning a short journey into Vietnam during my SE Asia trip. My current itinerary is as follows: 11/27: Fly into Saigon at 11:50 11/28:Saigon 11/29: Fly to Hue (7:00-8:20), spend night in Hue. 11/30-12/1 - Take bus to Hoi An . Spend 2 nights in Hoi An. 12/2-12/5 - Flight from Da Nang to Ha Noi (6:05 - 7:15). 4 nights in Hanoi. Planning to spend two of these seeing Ha Long Bay and the last day to do some motorcycles tours in the Ha Noi area. I have an extra ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,169 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by violets on 22/9/2010 at 06:54

Best of Vietnam

Posted by dmoran on 21/9/2010 at 21:51

Looking for the best places in your opinion to visit in Vietnam. Our Timeframe 2.5 Weeks in early December 2010, so we are willing to cut out places that are a waste of time or that are a bit of a snooze fest... Situation: My friend and I, are two males (both single) in our mid 20's.... By the time we get to Vietnam, we will have travelled Thailand and Laos for the previous month. The plan is to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi and start Vietnam from there. We plan (subject to change from the i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,497 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 22/9/2010 at 01:16

2 weeks in Vietnam: itinerary and more

Posted by stefanya on 9/8/2010 at 06:52

Hi everyone! I'm planning my first trip to Vietnam next February and I'd like to do this kind of itinerary: Hanoi, the North (Lao Cai and Sapa), Halong Bay, Ninh Binh, Huè, Hoi Han, HCMC, Mekong Delta and maybe add a few days in Phu Quoc.Do u think it could be done in 2 weeks? (we'll do the sea only if we stay for 3 weeks). Also, I'm Italian, any idea on how can I rent a motorbike? I read international driving licences are not accepted there. Thanks!!! and apologize for my bad english! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,355 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by Pobblebonk on 21/9/2010 at 16:58

Visiting Tay Ninh and Cu Chi Tunnel in one day?

Posted by cloud on 20/9/2010 at 08:51

I am planning a trip to the four countries in the southeast Asia. I want to visit the Cao Dai temple in Tay Ninh and see a prayer session, and also the Cu Chi Tunnel from Ho Chi Minh as a one-day trip. Judging from the distance and directions, that seems to be possible but I wonder what the reality is. Travlefish explains the trip to Tay Ninh by bus takes 2~3 hours. Then it makes the roundtrip 4~6 hours, and visiting the tunnel…seems very tight in time. My specific questions: 1) Is the visit ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,683 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cloud on 20/9/2010 at 22:53

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page