Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Mui Ne to Phu Quoc

Posted by 45baht on 28/7/2010 at 16:51

Now then, I'm in Nha Trang at the minute; heading to Mui ne in a couple of days and I was wondering if there was any way of travelling directly from Mui ne to Phu Quoc. I need to skip Saigon as I'm meeting my folks on Phu Quoc a day or two before they leave Viet Nam. And was planning to stay maybe a night in Saigon on the way back before going into Cambodia. if anyone knows if this is possible and how much it costs/long it takes i would be grateful for information. Cheers Alex ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,354 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by renrendiaz on 28/8/2010 at 20:34

Looking for info on a possible cave up from Nha Trang

Posted by jmgh on 16/8/2010 at 21:01

I have heard there is a cave just up from Nha Trang which has huge Buddhas and crystals in it, can anyone tell me if this is true and where we'd find it. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,642 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by abc on 27/8/2010 at 16:00

Typhoon damage in Ha Long Bay?

Posted by DandA on 26/8/2010 at 11:35

Hi all, We booked a tour with Ocean Tours which is supposed to be leaving tomorrow (27th Aug). I just recieved an email from OT telling us that they can no longer accommodate our tour due to typhoon damage on the island we are supposed to be staying at. So instead, they are trying to put us on a different tour that stays on the boat. Aside from it not being the tour we really wanted, the bigger question is if it is safe to do the trip so early after the typhoon. Couldnt find many news articl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,749 times, with no replies.

HCMC, PP and Sihanoukville in 8 days

Posted by mattocmd on 21/8/2010 at 05:01

Hello, I am going to be in HCMC for a few weeks. My friend is going to meet me here. I wanted him to have a few nights in HCMC, then head to Phnom Penh (2 nights) then Sihanoukville for like 2 or 3 nights. I guess the Mekong express would be good to get me from HCMC to PP. I heard there is a bus from Sihanoukville to HCMC but very long! Anyway, is it reasonable to cover all three destinations in 8 nights? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,452 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 26/8/2010 at 10:14

HCMC to Siem Reap in 7 days

Posted by Camcam on 24/8/2010 at 18:49

Hi fellow backpackers! I will be travelling from HCMC to Siem Reap in September for one week on my own. I would like to do it the untourist way, trying to meet other backpackers along the way. I was thinking of the following itinerary: -1 night in HCM -1 night in Cao Lanh or Can Tho or Chau Doc -1 night on my way to Siem Reap -then 2 or 3 night in Siem Reap/Angkor Wat. What do you think? Would you add more of HCMC? I was said it is easy to meet people in SR hence the choice, but please s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,164 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 25/8/2010 at 20:03

Is this journey doable?

Posted by averydka99 on 19/8/2010 at 21:18

Hello Everyone, We will be arriving in Vietnam around Nov. 1st. We would like to spend some time at Phu Quoc Island, the Mekong Delta region, up to Nha Trang, then the Sapa region. We have the whole month of November to travel. Is this enough time? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,323 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 24/8/2010 at 01:39

Phu Quoc - Viet Thanh Resort

Posted by tantemucki on 28/10/2008 at 03:47

Hi there, anybody knows the email or telephone from the Viet Than Resort? Like to stay there over New Year and all places are already booked out :-( Thanx Angie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,711 times, with no replies.

HaNoi travel tips

Posted by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 15:08

Hello For those interested, here are two travel tips for HaNoi. - - - - - - Travel tip 1. There is a shuttle bus between HaNoi airport and the Old Quarter operated for Vietnam Airlines. The cost is 25000VN dong in early am/pm and 35,000VN dong during the middle of the day. A taxi will cost about 175,000VN dong for a one way trip. The Vietnam Airlines shuttle bus (a 15 seater Toyota van) picks up outside the Domestic terminal about every half hour. The bus leaves from outsid ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,594 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 20/8/2010 at 14:48

Vietnam Airlines for a long distance flight?

Posted by Hemsi on 12/8/2010 at 03:09

Hi everybody, after our last trip to Vietnam in May/June this year we're already into planning the next one Now, I found a very good offer for a non-stop return flight (Frankfurt-Saigon) with Vietnam Airlines. That's an 11,5-13h flight ... has anyone made any experience with this airline on long-distance flights? Would you recommend it in terms of safety/comfort/etc.? On our last trip we flew with Vietnam Airlines from Saigon to Nha Trang, that was absolutely ok ... but it was only a one hour ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,403 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by kptn82 on 20/8/2010 at 11:50

Ho chi minh city to Mekong Delta

Posted by pdro on 12/7/2010 at 05:56

I'm travelling to Cambodia on the end of september and after want to visit the Mekong delta. I heard that the easiest way to do that is getting a tour from saigon to there. Someone knows how much a 2 days tour would coasts in average ? how is the trip by bus from phnom phen to saigon? thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,832 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 18/8/2010 at 21:27

Rach Gia Tour Guide

Posted by nekigosu on 18/8/2010 at 12:44

I will be travelling to Rach Gia next month for a half leisure/half business trip. Does anyknow know who or where can i find a personal tour guide to bring us around in Rach Gia and other parts of Vietnam? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,834 times, with no replies.

Kampot -> Ha Tien + Phu Quoc ferry schedule

Posted by Mikko on 15/3/2010 at 22:25

Hi, we're thinking of doing the Kampot -> Kep -> Ha Tien -> ( Rach Gia ->) Phu Quoc trip later this week and I'd like to ask if someone has done this trip recently? How much should we expect to pay for motodop/tuktuk from Kampot - Kep and Kep - border/Ha Tien? From an earlier post I read that the last (only?) ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc leaves at 13.00, does anyone know if this information is still up to date? If so, it would make it possible for us to do the whole trip i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,297 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 17/8/2010 at 12:01

Am I going at the right time of year?

Posted by Brownpaperblag on 12/8/2010 at 20:57

Hi guys and girls. Im planning a trip loosely following the mekong from Vientiane all the way down to vietnam and then back up toward Hanoi before flying to KL. I was planning on going early April and spending 10-12 weeks doing this. (im in no hurry!) I was wondering if anybody could let me know what to expect in terms of weather at these times. I keep hearing conflicting reports. Some say that this is the beginning of the monsoon season and Its not a good time to go, others say this is perh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,941 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by violets on 16/8/2010 at 07:38

Sapa, Fanshipan mountain

Posted by Shane10 on 18/5/2010 at 10:01

Hi,I'll be in Vietnam for 2 weeks and would be spending around 1 week in Sapa . Just like to know what's the best way to do Sapa cos I'm intending to climb Fansipan... Saw a lot of tour packages on Fanshipan but seems to be really ex and I'm on a pretty tight budget. Is there any way I can just get a guide through those backpackers hostels and how much you think it would cost? The equip, guide etc... for the mountain climb? Also 7 days in Sapa what are the things I can do? Going to give like ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,911 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by jungleanimal on 16/8/2010 at 06:50

Tet Festival 2011

Posted by banana8 on 8/8/2010 at 01:24

Hello all, I've just realised that I will be in Vietnam over the Tet festival (3rd Feb). I've heard that everything tends to shut down over the celebrations and I'm a bit worried about being able to get transport etc. I was planning on being in Hoi An or Hue over that period- does anyone have any advice in what would be the better location to be in? and how much I would have to get there before the festival starts/ how soon I could get away after? I was also hoping to do a DMZ tour in Hue b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,925 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by banana8 on 15/8/2010 at 17:15

HCMC through Mekong Delta to Phu Quoc?

Posted by dougiepunk on 26/7/2010 at 17:29

Hell0! Anyone got any ideas about the best wayto do this? Best I've come up with is bus to Can Tho then boat to Ca Mau, then boat boat to Rach Gia and boat to Phu Quoc. Anyone got any better / more fun ideas / sugestions? I'm in Hoi An at the mo, leaving for Da Lat in an hour, with about two weeks left in Viet Nam before hopefully crossing to Cambodia via Ha Tien after Phu Quoc. Help would be fab as I can'r seem to find much about doing this anywhere else... Cheers! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,000 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 15/8/2010 at 09:25

China Beach or Hoi An Beach?

Posted by LindaLovelace on 11/8/2010 at 11:46

Hi All, I will be in the Danang/ Hoi An area in the first week of November. I've been looking at accommodation and want to stay somewhere beachy (I dont mind spending up to around $150US a night). I cant decide between China Beach or Hoi An beach? Which is the better of the two locations? Gathering that the weather may not be ideal at that time of year, I'd prefer to stay somewhere with more activities/easy distance for day trips etc. Thanks Linda ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,469 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 15/8/2010 at 06:08

Weather issues Vietnam Aug/Sep??

Posted by buffa75 on 12/8/2010 at 15:37

we're wanting to travel through SE ASIA over 12 months and Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos are going to be a large part of our travel. Have read that the wet season is still very present through August September. How bad is it really? When would you recommend going to these places. can you recommend any other must stays around asia that aren't too affected by the wet through July to November ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,390 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Brownpaperblag on 13/8/2010 at 17:58

Prek Chak/Xaxia (‘Ha Tien’) border crossing and E-visa

Posted by Pjotra on 22/7/2010 at 23:40

Hi there! Although I am sure you can cross these days at this borderxing, coming from Phu Quoc, it is not clear if one can pass on the famous Cambodian E-visa, obtainable through the net.(see the last canbypublications.com on the subject)Does anyone have experience with passing with an E-visa on this crossing? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,891 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by oasisbarhatien on 12/8/2010 at 20:48

Do you think I should open a hotel in such place?

Posted by dha6892 on 10/8/2010 at 03:28

Hello, I’m a Vietnamese student and I am going to study in Canada soon. My family has a house in the old quarter. Since I’m going and there will be just the two of my parents, they are going to move to an apartment. We may rent the house but some friends advised us to use the house to open a small hotel. I think it’s a great opportunity because…well… I just love the place I live. It’s in the old quarter. Now there is a temporary outdoor fruit market in front of the house. It can be a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,496 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 10/8/2010 at 22:49

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page