Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Blogs and mosquito nets

Posted by maxlstylee on 31/5/2010 at 22:33

Howdy, Heading out to Vietnam on Thursday from LAX. I want to be doing some blogging as I'll be gone for 2 months and would like my family to see what's going on. Are there any sites that are blocked in Vietnam? I suppose I'd like to do something simple like blogger.com but am not sure if the countries block it. I know that you can't get to facebook and such. Also, I need to buy a mosquito net before I go, am I looking for one that has hooks on it? or one that has 4 draw strings? I imagine I ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,892 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by AmericanVietnamese on 30/6/2010 at 12:12

Mekong - Chau Doc to Takeo Cambodia

Posted by Doniwarner on 7/4/2010 at 00:32

I will be traveling from HCMC to Cambodia the first week of May and was wondering if anyone has gone from Chau Doc to Takeo ? I know I can go through Phnom Penh but I'm wondering if there is anything directly from the border to Takeo without going to PP and having to backtrack? At present my plans are to go with a tour from HCMC for two days and end up in Chau Doc, from there I will travel on my own - any recommendations or suggestions of a good tour company are certainly welcomed! I'll ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,242 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Doniwarner on 29/6/2010 at 21:20

Another Visa question

Posted by BanhMi on 28/6/2010 at 18:38

I know theres a ton of visa info out there, but I feel my situaion may be a bit unique so here goes... Due to a clerical error on the three month multiple entry visa I got at the Vietnamese Embassy in San Francisco, it was cancelled at Hanoi airport and I was reissued a one month single entry visa. The problem is that my return flight leaves in 5 weeks from Hanoi, and I was going to go to Cambodia in between. I am in Hoi An now, and the desk at the hotel say they cannot help me, and I need ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,465 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 29/6/2010 at 07:47

Best way to travel Vietnam?

Posted by DLuek on 2/1/2009 at 10:16

Any suggestions on how best to see Vietnam as close up as possible without spending a fortune? Better to take bus/train from place to place and hire drivers out of each destination, or hire a driver/car for the duration of our time there? Feedback from those who have done either (or both) is appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,312 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by annica on 29/6/2010 at 02:42

How many days in Hanoi en rote to Laos?

Posted by glomer on 26/6/2010 at 02:15

Ok, after a medical delay, our honeymoon plans are back on for December. We will only have 10 days and want to spend the majority in/around Luang Prabang (and maybe Nong Kiau). That said, we are flying in and out of Hanoi, and want to spend some time exploring. Would three days be enough? We will save Halong Bay for another trip. Thanks... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,466 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 27/6/2010 at 10:53

doxycycline (Anti-Malaria) in Hanoi

Posted by CharlieP on 26/6/2010 at 14:39

Hi Guys, Does anyone know if i can get hold of any doxycycline or any other anti-malaria drug in North Vietnam, i have run out Any help would be great, Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,123 times, with no replies.

2 x MINSK FOR SALE - HANOI - JUNE 2010

Posted by charlesjrbuckle on 25/6/2010 at 21:13

FOR SALE - 2 X MINSK - HANOI JUNE 2010 29TH JUNE TO 5TH JULY FULL WORKING ORDER INCLUDING FRONT AND REAR LIGHTS RECENTLY FULLY SERVICED (9TH JUNE 2010) ALL NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION (BLUE CARDS) BAG STRAPS CHAIN & PADLOCK RAIN GEAR ANY 2D OIL WE HAVE LEFT OVER COVERED 1707 KM IN 3 WEEKS STILL RUNNING LIKE WHEN WE BOUGHT THEM UNFORTUNATELY OUR TOOL BAG FELL OFF OUR BAG BETWEEN NAH TRANG AND HOI AN BUT VERY EASY TO BUY A SPANNER OR SCREWDRIVER FROM A MECHANIC. REALLY SIMPLE BIKE AND VERY EAS ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,445 times, with no replies.

Any smokers out there?

Posted by mikethediver on 20/6/2010 at 18:34

hi all, Currently in Cambodia & moving to Vietnam in a few weeks. Cigarettes here are $4:50 for 200 L&M. Can anyone tell me the cost of similar and is it worth stocking up before leaving Cambodia? Cheers, Mike ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,621 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by mikethediver on 25/6/2010 at 19:57

Looking for a minsk in saigon

Posted by floork on 5/4/2010 at 15:00

Hey everyone, I just arrived in Saigon and would like to buy a minsk. on this and other forums i see people offering theirs between 250 and 400. unfortunately they're all old adverts. Does anyone have one for sale or know a decent shop to go to (if one exists)? Thanks in advance, Floor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,305 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by AmericanVietnamese on 25/6/2010 at 07:15

Trip in Vietnam and Cambodia

Posted by NorwegianP on 24/6/2010 at 02:02

Hello! We are two guys travelling from Hanoi and Ha Long Bay down south for HCMC and later Cambodia. What are you guys' thoughts on Hue and Hoi An. We are much more keen on the scenery and nature than shopping and street life and are considering skipping a couple of days here, and save them for a Easy Rider trip from Da Lat to HCMC. How long does a trip from Da Lat to HCMC take? We are wanting to get off the beaten path, but still it's our first time to SE Asia, so even though we want ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,296 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Nokka on 24/6/2010 at 21:11

Find a friend in Tam Ky

Posted by diemtrang on 24/6/2010 at 02:41

Hi, I've been trying to find my childhood friend for the past 5 years and unable to find him. The last information I know about him is he worked at Tam Ky hospital when he first graduated from Hue Medical School 20 years old. His name is Hoang Kim Thoi. If anyone knows about his whereabout or know Tam Ky hospital phone number, please email me at tinatran2006@gmail.com. Many thanks for your help in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,343 times, with no replies.

Help with Vietnam Embassy in US!

Posted by Melanie37 on 23/6/2010 at 03:21

I sent my passport and application to the Vietnam Embassy in the US. My passport and visa should have been shipped back to me last week via the express mail envelope I included. According to USPS tracking, the documents have not been shipped. I have been unable to reach anyone at the embassy by phone and my emails have not been answered (this has been going on for two days). I am supposed to leave on Monday (in just six days!). Any advice? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 775 times, with no replies.

20-30day Tours for Vietnam?

Posted by miamaziing on 14/5/2010 at 09:25

Hi! Me and my partner are plannign on arriving in Vietnam early August and were advised by a travel agent that it is the hardes of the 4 big s/e asian countries to get around as far as finding english speaking people/english signs, train travel etc.. is this the case? He recommended we look into a tour to start our trip (from Vietnam we plan on going through laos, cambodia and finishing in thailand) all up we'd like to be travelling for around 3½ months, so we have relatively around a month to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,820 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 21/6/2010 at 17:28

Teaching english in Vietnam

Posted by JackHammer on 11/6/2010 at 10:21

Hey fellow travelers. I'm arriving in Hanoi in October for my TESOL course. I finish on the 31st October and i will have a Certificate IV. I'm Interested in getting some permanent work for at least 6 months. Any advice or know of organization looking for work or websites which you can let me know about to contact? Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,128 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by abc on 21/6/2010 at 16:54

Best South Vietnam beach?

Posted by torilou on 14/6/2010 at 04:26

So, I've been researching beach resorts in Vietnam - Nha Trang, Mui Ne etc, and keep coming up with conflicting advice with regards to which would be the best to visit. My boyfriend and I will be in Vietnam for around 2 weeks and are planning on starting in Ho Chi Minh, then to Dalat, a beach resort, back to Ho Chi Minh then on to the Mekong. Any advice with regards to the beaches? I'd prefer something small and not overly touristy but still with a 'buzz'. If such a place exists! Tori ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,973 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by abc on 21/6/2010 at 16:47

Free tourist visas August & September 2010

Posted by Pablot on 17/6/2010 at 07:04

"Vietnam Discovery" Magazine June 2010 page 12 reports free tourist visas for August & September. Double check with VN embassy in your country. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,529 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by manooe on 17/6/2010 at 13:20

Accommodation in Ho Chi Minh

Posted by natalie0001 on 3/7/2008 at 09:51

I'm currently planning a trip to Vietnam and have so far managed to find some great places to stay for a good price in most places we're visiting. However, I'm finding Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi a bit more troublesome! Can anyone recommend some good, clean hotels they've stayed at recently, (2-3 stars up to about $55-$60US a night - less if possible) with a good, quiet location and a bit of character. (I've looked at places like the Continental and the Grand in Ho Chi Minh but these might be a bit ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,549 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 16/6/2010 at 00:52

First Day in Vietnam

Posted by Babalugats on 17/5/2010 at 19:00

I'll arrive in Ho Chi Minh past the midnight of June 10. Then I'll wait for the first morning flight to Da Nang . It will be my first time to visit Vietnam, so I like to know if it's advisable to exchange all of my US dollars (for Vietnamese dong) at the Ho Chi Minh International Airport. Another thing is if anyone knows the regular taxi fare from Da Nang airport to the bus station (heading to Hoi An). I don't want to be clueless on this. I'll be thankful to your replies. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,057 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Babalugats on 15/6/2010 at 12:08

The best overland Vietnam 2 week itinerary!

Posted by torilou on 6/6/2010 at 22:56

My boyfriend and I are travelling around Cambodia and Vietnam, flying in and out of Bangkok, and need to make the most of our 6 weeks out there. We are looking to find the best OVERLAND itinerary for Vietnam. We have a few days leeway here and there, so could spend more than 2 weeks, but I am worried about how long it'll take for us to travel back over to Bangkok. We can't decide where to visit for the best, nor which border crossings to use to use our time wisely. Any advice would be fantasti ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,256 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by TomMcMillan on 15/6/2010 at 01:23

Ferry to Phu Quoc

Posted by plew10 on 10/6/2010 at 18:03

Looking to get to Phu Quoc in a few weeks and the flights are pretty pricey. Does anyone know anything about the reliability of ferries from Rach Gia during the wet season? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,987 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LePub on 14/6/2010 at 10:57

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page